What to feed?

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by Shell, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Shell

Shell New Member

Currently my horse doesn't look very pretty. He'll be moving to a new barn, so I'm sure that will improve his looks by not getting so beaten up.
    I got him in April, so it's a guessing game to know what he needs or what will help.
    He's an 18 yr old QH. Could use some fat. And healed ouchies show through the thicker coat he's getting.
    Since I got him, he's just been on sweet feed for grain.
    Because of work I haven't been able to ride him often, so I would think he should be some what fattened up.
    What can I add to his grain?

Our 30 yr old horse Joe which is boarded at a different barn is fed Dynasty Senior with his grain and he looks Good! Wondering if adding the same to Spike's diet would be a good choice or if I should try something else?

2. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I would feed Dynasty Pro to your 18-year-old. It has more fat (6%) than the Senior. I actually mix the Pro and the Senior for my 25-year-old horse, I like the extra fat in the Pro, but I also like the beet pulp and other stuff in the Senior. I'm sure you'll see a big difference.

3. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Pictures would help LOL must see condition... LOL if you want easy go with the Dynasty Pro ... if you want to save alittle money adn do a bit more work go with the HOrsego32(Grass hay) or the Horsego12(alfalfa) adn then add some rice bran, beet pulp or alfalfa pellets/cubes

also make sure his teeth are in good working order and his deworming are up to date

4. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

Ground flax (Omega Horseshine) I also feed a senior pellet for my teenagers.

5. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

OK, here are pictures of me riding him this past Saturday..remember that he's 25 and has a bit of a swayback;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

What will your new barn be feeding for it's grain?
    Will he have free choice hay?
    I've always had great success with Buckeye's Ultimate Finish. You add it to their regular grain ration.

7. StarryNight924

StarryNight924 New Member

Ultimate Finish is awesome. My horse was a super skinny when I bought him and I combined Triple Crown Complete with the Ultimate finish and I couldn't believe the difference. He turned into super shiny and started gaining weight in all the right places!

Both are a bit expensive and Triple Crown is kind of hard to find, depending on where you are, but it was worth it. Now we are down to a cup of Buckeye Grow 'n Win at each feeding. Both the TC and Buckeye have about the same nutritional content, so that could work too. I don't know much about the Dynasty feeds, but here's a link to the TC website.
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/

8. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Triple Crown Complete and Senior are great feeds too! I'm just not a fan of sweet feeds.

9. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

The NSC on these two feeds is fairly low the TC Senoir if I remember right is grain free and the Complete only contains a small amount of oats

All of the Dynasty line contains Corn ... so they are even NSC wise BUT you can feed LESS of the Dynasty lines

10. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

H[​IMG]eres what NICK looked like when I got him I fed John Lyons Sr Feed and Rice Bran it only took 3 mos.[​IMG]

11. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

the last one was in the spring, right now he is 50 pounds over weight but I am going to keep him at that till we see how he winters. he is some where around age 33-38

12. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Yes, there are no oats in TC Senior, just the sweet pellets and the little beet pulp squigglies...

GREAT PICTURES!!!

13. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

He looks great the old appys seem to age well :apl

14. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

15. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Wish I was aging well..... :-

16. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I wish I didn't feel about 1000 yo today LOL

Shell it really depends on WHAT you can get in your area... Dynasty Senior is great and soaks wonderful as well same can be said for TC Senior or Progressive senior ...

if you are looking for FAT supplement type feed look into the Granolene LS or the TC Low STarch or Omagetin or a Rice Bran type

17. Refuge Ranch

Refuge Ranch New Member

Raya when we got her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 4 months later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is on free choice hay, 1 cup of Kent's Omegatin 3 x's/day and a good helping of beet pulp 3x's/day. Vet guesstimates her at around 30 years old.

18. Angien

Angien New Member

Hay hay hay
    Beet pulp and if you can afford it Platinum.
    I would not do grain. I am not a firm believer in grain.

19. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Here is my old horse the day I got him for a one week trial - there was no way I was gonna send him back! I won't say who I got him from either...unless someone PMs me.
    [​IMG]

I used Dynasty Senior and Omegatin, and as much mixed hay as he wanted. His feces were also flaking so he was dehydrated too. People make me sick!

20. heypony

heypony New Member

The best hay you can find is what I find works the best. It is the fastest way to put weight on a horse.