When are your babies due, and what are they?

Discussion in 'The Foaling Stall' started by Tbitt, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

That time is coming up on us fast.
    [size=7pt](Ya righ, like I have anything to do with babies, besides drooling at them)[/size]

Post what you "hope" you have coming and when.

What they were bred for (other than just to love - that is a given :angel: )

Let the foaling season begin!

2. lori

lori New Member

sniffle, sniffle. My dream mare slipped hers around 30 days, after a positive (miraculously so) early check. Now got to figure out what, if anything, I will do with that paid breeding.

3. Tbitt

Oh - that is sad.

I rememver Paige saying that more mares slip than keep............she even had a percentage. It was scary.

Sorry Lori! :'(

4. lori

lori New Member

Oh, I'll answer the other half of the question.. Dream mare is Welika Sissy, ran SI 103 on the track, sound for 48 races, won 11, placed in 13 more. One of the ones she won would have been a stakes race but 1 horse missed 1 payment. Her sire: decent but lesser known Dash for Cash horse--he is a full brother to Mitey Easy Dash's dam, who then sired Dashin Is Easy. Sissy's dam (and this is my favorite part) had 6 foals, 5 to race, 5 ROM. Sissy's dam is a daughter of Bugs Alive in 75 X a mare who is Triple Chick X AQHA Dam of Distinction Steamed Up. So I feel like that bottom side makes up for the top side being a lesser son of Dash for Cash and some ol Easy Jet/Go Man Go mare.  ;D
    [​IMG]

Bred to PC Frenchmans Hayday, one of Sherry Cervi's horses, important thing to me is they take this one horse, barrel race him and then turn around and use him in roping in the same rodeo with 2 or 3 different riders. That says a lot to me as to quality of mind and physical toughness. Several NFR qualfiying foals, yadda yadda. http://www.potterranch.com/dinero.html He is a Sun Frost son, they are supposed to be super fast at take off. Sissy won at all distances but just in case she wasn't super fast off the line I thought that would be a good idea... I basically needed to get over it and make a decision and figured that offspring would probably be marketable if I didn't like it.
    [​IMG]

(Note, I do not love him in this picture... it's the only conformation type photo I have, but he has the skillz to pay the billz, and all the offspring I have seen are cuter, so I'm thinking this is just not a great photo.)

5. Tbitt

You don't think you will try it again?

It really sounds like you are reluctant......... Are you afraid for the mare?

I'm sure with the circles you run, you will not have a hard time marketing the offspring, if needed.

6. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I bred my mare to The Ultimate Fancy for a Kentucky-bred foal. She is due 5/23. We have to take her to KY to foal though, so I wont get to be part of that :(

Mare: TJ Chortie Gal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her Foals:
    Fancy Anticipation; ROM Western Pleasure & Lunge-Line, over $500 in Futurity winnings.
    [​IMG]

R Fancy Gal: got caught up on some wacky Divorce and is loved by her current owner who does not ahve her papers and says she will never get them :(
    [​IMG]

Duallys First Doll
    [​IMG]

Diesel Duramax Dually: $600+ in Futurity winnings.
    [​IMG]

Stallions she is bred to:

www.theultimatefancy.com

He is s full brother to Fancy Anticipation & R Fancy Gal's sire, R Big Time Fancy.

Although I DONT need three horses :D , I am very excited. I bred the mare to keep the foal.

7. morapt

morapt New Member

Topper has another baby due May 3rd. This one is out of our mare Imelda's New Shoes. This baby will be groomed for the futurity in Sept in Michigan. I'm hoping for a pretty filly with nice hocks and a ground covering trot. I'm not sure if we are going to try to show it ourselves again or if we are going with a trainer. We'll see what the summer brings.

8. lori

lori New Member

Weeeeeelll... I have been thinking hard about this. The mare will be fine, it is just a lot of work and requires a lot of vet oversight to keep her pregnant... She is 22, so getting towards too old but doing fine so I wouldn't feel bad about doing it this year still. She is slow to get going with good follicles in the spring so I left her at the vet so she could get u/s every other day. (insert cash register sound) Didn't take the first insemination. When the $175 shipping fee is the least of your concerns--you know everything else was costing out the wazoo. Second cycle stud owner was unreachable (it's kind of a family operation, well, the manager's daughter got flipped over on at a jackpot show, so I do not blame them at all), third time she took and I left her until she was in foal 12-14 days. Left at the vets for all that time. Brought her home and then she has to get regumate every day and then was open by day 30. The daily regumate was really hard to get done because normally we would be gone all weekend for a lot of weekends, and I'm not real comfortable asking someone else to handle regumate for me. 

I have options... there is a procedure to stitch up the cervix. Vet was kind of "ehh... you could do that." I think he thinks we have too much against us. Her cervix was torn on foal #1, they left her open a year and she had 2 more. Then they tried breeding her 3 more years and couldn't get her even pregnant. So I did better than that. Embryo transfer is an option but then I'd want to spend more on the stud, so abandon the already paid for breeding and pay for another one, huge ET costs, and I am really not comfortable having that much money in a damn horse. :D

I have a 2nd broodmare I co own, we had considered her retired but I could use the breeding with her. She is AAA--si 95, only earned $5k on the track. She is a daughter of Raise Cash... Cowan Brothers (http://www.cowanbrothers.com/default.cfm) stood Raise Cash's full brother, Cash Native. They are using Cash Native racehorse daughters x Sun Frost sons, and I'd be doing similiar lines, so it's interesting, assuming they know what they are doing. :p (I think they do...)

Obsessing much--YES! :) Good to get all these thoughts down on paper.

9. PT

PT New Member

OR, you can just give the breeding to me... ;D

10. paige

paige New Member

Our first is due March 13--out of a maiden Miss N Cash daughter that is a kleptomaniac about other peoples' babies. Then there are a few more Slybabies.

The second half of the season, I have a Boonsmal Cee Lena out of a High Brow Hickory dtr due in April, then a Meradas Blue Sue out of a Smart Aristocrat daughter, then a Highlight Cat out of my good Young Gun mare and the last one of the season is a PEppy Plays for Cash out of my Squeak Toy (the blind one) mare.

We have only made one decision about breeding this year-- and only halfway made that one. We have two breedings to Sophisticated Catt but I am not sure who I am going to use them on

11. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

My partner and I have SingleNoMore in foal to 1st year SW End Sweep horse who made $225,000+ in New York. Neat, compact gray horse, hoping he puts some speed into the route-type Single! Total outcross as she is by a Capote (Seattle Slew) horse o/o a Zen (Damascus) mare and Secret Run is by End Sweep (Forty Niner) o/o a Runaway Groom (Blushing Groom) mare.
    She's due in early May, maybe a Derby Day baby. The foal will be a registered NM Bred and eligible for all their wonderful breed $. I sure wouldn't've bred her in KY.

12. Amurry

Amurry New Member

I got one foal coming this year due in April. My mare is bred to For You To Envy AQHA/APHA for a DR foal. Lori that is really weird I think I may have gotten my progesterone test results back from Monfort with your mare's results also on mine (you know how they come) and thinking OUCH. It is to bad that embryo transfers are so freaking expensive.

13. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Lori,
    Another option you could look into is to send her down to SIU-Carbondale. Dr. King has a very high success rate in hard to breed mares (and it is her personal mission after hearing one is impregnable to prove nay-sayers wrong), it's been a while since I was there so not sure on the exact number. Willie76 could give you a bunch more info as she works closely with her still.

14. lori

lori New Member

Ok, monizzle, thank you, I sent an email to the contact I found on the SIUC web site--willie feel free to jump in here. So Belle Mere does say it is near impossible, we've proven them half wrong, maybe Dr. King would like to be the one to prove them fully wrong. :p

15. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Lori, Dr. K is absolutely awful about responding. If you are serious and don't mind making the effort I would contact everyone at the Horse Center:

Sheila Puckett- herdsman
    phone 618.453.2024
    email spuckett@siu.edu

Dr. King
    phone 618.453.1771
    Leave a minimum of 100 messages ;)

Stephanie Speiser
    email sspeiser@siu.edu

Sheila will most likely be the first one to reply but I would try and talk to Dr. King personally. Seriously if anyone can get the old girl pregnant DK will be the one. The facilities are nothing special, horses are taken care of by students but receive excellent care. When I was a student there (2003-2006) there wasn't a horse that didn't conceive. Meredith (Willie76) may be able to give you estimates on cost and recent information concerning the breeding program. I PM'ed Meredith so she'll see this thread.

16. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

I got 8 preggers last year (well at least I held the AI kit) DK is the brains behind the operation.

We have several mares donated to us on a routine basis because no other place has been able to get them pregnant. We have a very high success rate. We bred...around 15? mares this season. 9 of them ours. 8 of those 9 are pregnant. The 9th, turned out had a very bad uterine infection and we decided it wasn't worth it to continue. The rest were client mares.

We had one stakes winning mare donated to us...she's an aged mare. I'd say 18 or 19. She has been open for 6 seasons. They donated her because they could NOT get her pregnant. We did. Not only did we get her pregnant last year, we got her pregnant on the first try this year.

Dr. King is awesome when it comes to reproduction. And Sheila and myself are a pretty impressive force when it comes to taking out the orders :)

Anna is right, Dr. King is awful about responding via e-mail unless she responds the second she sees the e-mail. Sheila would be the one you would be talking to about brining your mare anyways. Anna is also right in saying that our facilities are no Three Chimney's. But we get the job done and though I can't give you an exact estimate, I hear we're way cheaper than a lot of places.

If you're genuinely interested, PM me and I will give you Sheila's cell phone number or mine if you'd like more information. Also, Lori, if you sent the mare this breeding season, I would be personally involved and would be able to keep you up to date on everything, every step of the way. I graduate in May.

17. photofinish

Hey Lori,

With horses so dirt cheap/free what about getting a young (TB?) mare and doing an embryo transfer? While I am sure it is still a bit spendy, it might be pretty in line with getting your old mare to hold, and money beter spent if the transfer mare is younger and can carry the foal to term. I'll bet you could find a 6-10 yr old mare for free. I'd be happy to ask around, if you'd like, I still know some peoples back yonder. You also may be able to get a year's free lease on a mare and that's better yet because then you don't have to worry about what to do with her when you're done!

18. lori

lori New Member

Willie--PM sent! :)

Photo--that is the silly thing, ET farm's recip mares are $3k/yr to lease from the 2-3 different facilities I looked into. I think the services are around $1700-2000, which would be doable, but the $3k for another mare to take care of... (and the embarrassing thing is, I will probably have trouble parting with the stupid recip mare.) I have access to mediocre breeding candidates from my own mares... I worry about how difficult getting the cycles timed right is? But of course they make $3k off of making it seem touchy. That would be my big concern with buying/borrowing another mare to use for recip.... though I guess then my mediocre candidates could be backups. LOL, quite the family affair, then.

I would really love it if this mare could carry her own--aside from the practical reasons. I want a carbon copy of her and while she makes herself involved with any baby on the place, I really would love to have her filling out the "nurture" part of the equation--but I'm not against ET and sparing her more risk, it's just the cost.

19. paige

paige New Member

To be most likely to get ET done, you need SEVERAL mares to choose from, because it is so difficult to get them exactly in sync with your mare

20. photofinish

Being from the whole JC live cover only world, I won't claim any overt knowledge of embryo transfer, but I wonder why you couldn't manipulate any mare's cycle if you were starting this early? Lights, Regumate for 30 - 40 days, then lutalyse? Maybe that doesn't work well enough for transfer? Or is it just easier for the bigger outfits to have multiple mares? I just wonder why, if you started soon, you couldn't put a mare on the same cycle as your mare by mid-March or April? I'm not meaning to be a smartass, just wondering if it's a case of "if you do some extra work you could save some major money"?

Funny they charge $3k year for "leases" when 90% of the recipient mares came off the track for free-$400 ::). Had a gal in Phoenix who actively pursued the cheapo mares who couldn't run anymore. She never gave more that$200 for them and I think never got more than $400 to the ET farms back east. And that was BEFORE the economy tanked! I gaurantee that you could (or I could) find a free mare, maybe even one who's raised a few foals, 15 yrs old or under in 2 weeks or less between IL and KY.