Who blankets and Why? When?

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by MyTeDun, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I don't usually put blankets on until the severe cold sets in---- I want everyone to get a nice thick coat.

Even my gelding who I show is out eatting off a round bale and getting shaggier by the day~

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

I blanket my special needs horses...or the ones that have blankies that fit if the weather is too yucky for my shelters...

I want them to use their energy for maintenence-not working to stay warm.

And because I'm a softie.

3. paige

paige New Member

Only the very old and only then if they have weight issues

4. Joie

Joie New Member

Normally, I'd not blanket any of them. I even got a mare in from Arizona last winter who was without her blanket within 2 weeks here. I just hate blankets. BUT, I'll probably blanket Bogie this year, only because he's having weight issues and he's not getting any sort of winter coat yet. Some of them are really getting shaggy already. I think it's more important for them to ALWAYS have good quality hay in front of them at all times rather than to keep them all blanketed.

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

God gives my horses nice heavy coats in the winter.

I keep several blankets stored.. just in case for some reason...
    one of them gets chilled...usually if I see one shivering for one weird reason or another.. I will stall the horse, give it a slice or two of hay.. and they stop shivering

I will also blanket an older one if it needs the extra warmth.

6. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

My stud is in a heated barn and blanketed, but his show season starts in March, if not earlier.

My mares are pastured 24/7ish. My 12 yo mare is never blanketed but she is a heavy QH ( see . . . big beautiful mare) and never seems to have any troubles. My new mare may have a little more difficulty as she is a skinnier TB gal who has been blanketed in the past. We will have to see how things go. They also have a 20x20+ 3 sided shelter to go into.

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

You have a stud? Is he a breeding stud and what do you show him in?

8. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

I dont have him standing to the public yet, as he hasn't proven himself in the showring yet. He will be showing full time 2009 in IBHA all around HUS HAL WP. He is a 15.3 Red dun, Obvious Conclusion bred. He's a big silly dork but I love him, so do all the mares at his barn. Thankfully he only has a thing for black geldings, particularly Fresians.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

He sounds gorgeous!

Obvious Conclusion----- is he built like a halter horse?

Dumb ? IBHA ----- what organization is that (IL Buckskin?)

10. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Thanks i love the darn beast . . . He isnt all uber haltery, more like a WPer.

IBHA and ABHA are buckskin associations. I show IBHA I may hit a few QH shows next year too.

11. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

12. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

LOL ok I am a SUCKY picture taker lady and these are a year old . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Nice looking boy you've got Brillance!

14. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Thanks! He can be a stinker sometimes and has taken a while to grow up. I actually didnt even start breaking him untill he was 3 and I had a dresage trainer break him. He also has a funny exasshole (husb) connection.

15. Daretodream

Daretodream New Member

Last winter all of ours had a blanket on a time or 2. I have one gelding and one mare that shiver if they get the least little bit wet and it is 50' or below. Everybody else for the most part goes naked. Last winter was really bad and we don't have "stalls" persay. We have run ins and they are 3 sided so if it was gonna be wicked I caved and put the blankets on. All my horses kept a nice weight last winter even with the really cold weather. I agree that having great hay to feed and plenty of it is really all you need but last year was bad for finding hay so we supplemented with grain and blanketing for warmth didn't hurt them any.

16. Kahli

Kahli New Member

I blanket my mare. She never has grown much of a coat, probably doesn't need it but she nothing if not spoiled and babied.

17. flygyrl

flygyrl New Member

I wait as long as I can, but that's usually not very long.....my mare is a total wimp about the cold. She used to be clipped in the winter; granted, that was a long time ago but she's never really grown a good thick coat since. If she gets cold she will shiver uncontrollably.

She has a full wardrobe: TO sheet, midweight, heavyweight, fleece blanket liner, shoulder guard. I have not had to blanket yet this year but the time is coming I'm sure. I'll be shocked if we get to Nov. 1 before I have to put a sheet on her.

18. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I won't blanket unless she has snow/ice that is standing on her... most of our snow is super dry and will just fall off of them.. but when/if it starts to melt on them.. and then the temp drops to -50.. then I blanket... the whole time Mischief has been up here, I have never had to blanket her. she loves the cold and snow!

of all the horse people I talked to up here.. only the old or sick horses get blankets.. even when it dips below -50... unless there is a freak wind that pops up.. then -50 will feel more like -120 so EVERYONE gets a blanket or warm stall then.

19. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

BUrrrrrrrrrrrr how on earth does any living thing survive at that temp? yikes

20. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

IBHA is the International Buckskin Horse Association.

ABRA is the American Buckskin Registry Association.

They were one group that split in the 70's. IBHA is run out of Indiana is is more widely known in this area. The ABRA is out of California