Winter riding with shoes on horse

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by MyTeDun, Oct 16, 2008.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I plan on leaving Yogi's front shoes on all winter.
    Same shoes or something different for traction on the snow and Ice?

I plan on riding out in the fields and on the road.

Should I add back shoes?

2. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

I would discuss this more with your farrier. You can have different nails put in to help with traction, or borium if really needed.

I would also add snow rim pads.

Why do you feel you need back shoes? Bare feet tend to offer fairly good traction.

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Asking about back shoes, I've never put them on any horse.------ Traction ok without them?

Just looking for everybodys opinions----- This is new to me

4. Stacey

Stacey New Member

I ride all winter long with just front shoes. We ride on grass, road, limestone, & snow you name it!
    When we hit the icey weather we are really careful where we ride. But a couple years ago the farrier suggested that I put a couple (literally 2 in each shoe) borium nails in to help with traction, and it works really well for us.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

borium nails?

What is the difference between these and the regular ones

6. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Theyhave a borium head that protrudes just a bit from the srface of the show offering more traction.
    I was under the impression that borium only ofered added traction on pavement. Didn't know it did anything for snow.

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Are they similiar to the ones that folks use on their jumpers----- You screw them in when you need them? I've never encountered these before

8. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

No, those would be screw-in studs (aka "studs" when hanging around the h/j or eventer crowd)

What ET is talking about it a nail in the normal position on a horseshoe with borium placed on the head. Last winter my farrier used a horseshoe nail specifically made to stick down past the shoe to add traction (I can't remember what size head they were, but I can ask when he is out again in two weeks). They did help, but not enough that I'd let her be turned out when the ice was melted as smooth as glass.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Would you use the borium nails along with snow pads?

10. RickB.

RickB. New Member

Generally speaking, when I 'winterize' a horse, it gets anti-snowball pads(either full or rim) and either drill-tec or small drive in studs on every shoe. Depending on the horse and its situation, I will uses either 2 or four spots of drill-tec/studs per shoe.

I keep the Duratec(borium headed) around, but because of where they have to, of necessity, be set/located, I don't use them very often.

11. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thanks Rick! I use Dave Bankowski for everything, hopefully he thinks the same as you