Would you vote for a...

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Angellou, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

This subject came up at work and I find it intriguing.

If the presidential candidate had good moral values but they were an atheist, would you vote for them?

What if they were any faith other than Christian? Jew? Muslim? Buddist?

2. desederada

desederada New Member

Yes,yes, yes,yes and yes

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I don't care what religion a candidate is as long as they are going to benefit the country as a whole.

4. sandburs

sandburs New Member

Ditto, I feel exactly the same.

5. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Well said and I agree 100%

6. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Yes I would.

7. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

It would depend upon other things -- a person with "good moral values" might be an absolute idgit, limp noodle, and disaster as a president, where a rotten SOB might be a very good leader because they are intelligent, pragmatic, and tough. And what would be considered as "good moral values" by one group might be considered atrocious or no morality by another (for instance, there are many leaders within a certain religious group that consider conversion by the "point of a sword or death" -- and to many of their followers this "moral value" is good and beyond reproach).

8. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

I think I'd have a problem voting for an athiest...it would certainly give new meaning to:
    In _______ we trust
    _____ Bless America

9. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

I've met some pretty nasty people who hide behind their religion. Someone telling me they are religious means NOTHING to me. How that person acts is all that matters.

So for me someones religion (or lack of) doesn't play any role in whether or not I vote for them.

10. Jen

Jen New Member

For profit religion scares me.

The God I believe in doesn't require $.

11. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Amen!

12. JenR

Yeah, if I remember correctly there was this little incident involving driving the money-changers out of the temple. Too bad a lot of "religious" types seem to forget about that.

Too bad a lot of people forget about separation of church and state -- so anyone predisposed to a theocracy as way to run a country is someone I won't go for.

13. BUC

BUC Administrator

Ditto. I quit going to church some time ago over this. It became about how much money the church had, what the church had, and who "did" the most around there.

I'd vote for a normal atheist. If it was something the candidate was running on, such as removing the words God from our language, then they could go pound sand in hell. Otherwise, not a problem as long as I felt they would make a good prez.

14. Shell

Shell New Member

I would vote for someone like me.
    Although, I have never been able to believe in the common god that most of you have here, I don't consider myself atheist.

No, I wouldn't vote for someone who makes it point to mention what religion they are and why that would make them the best choice for office because of their morals learned by religion.

15. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Ditto to what she said...

I lost faith in God many years ago when our Catholic priest, who happened to visit my grandma every month and knew the exact day when her social security check came. And then at her funeral, forgets her name during the eulogy. My dad stood up and gave him holy hell! And she wasn't even HIS mother, she was my mom's!

We quit going to church after that incident...plus my husband, although raised Protestant, is truly atheist.

Religion has its place, and it's shouldn't be in public schools or politics.

16. JenR

I don't have a common god -- am a completely relapsed Catholic due to the fine education that Catholic schools gave me (all that grounding in Enlightenment philosophy and the role of deductive reasoning/scientific theory).

I do believe in some sort of greater creative force in the universe, but I'm naturally leery of organized religion. (I suppose I'm one of the Intelligent Design folks). I believe that some form of ethical/moral code is a very good thing for everyone to have (which is a problem imho with a lot of hard core atheists -- moral equivalency can be a great tool for debate, but not so wonderful for living in the real world). There are some concepts of "good moral values" (taking stoning adulterous women or hanging homosexuals for instance) that as a rational and compassionate person I find repugnant; therefore I don't cotton to nor condone those religious sects that seem to dig that sort of thing.