2009 suckin so far......

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by 4TsFarm, Feb 6, 2009.

1. 4TsFarm

4TsFarm New Member

Anyone (since we are jack of all trades and master of none here haha) have a child that has been diagnosed with scoliosis? My 11 yr old daughter was just diagnosed yesterday (after her deformity was pointed out to me I feel like a dweeb). Yes, I noticed her clothes didnt hang right sometimes when we went shopping, yes I had noticed one side of her chest "developing" at a faster rate than the other, yes she had complained of back pain (the child grew over 4" in a year!), but I... a RN missed it! I didnt get it right..........we bought her a new bed, told her it was growing pains, etc. UGH.....I feel horrible!

She had a traumatic injury at 6yrs old (a fall from a horse) and she landed on her butt causing blunt trauma to spine and brain. Yes, it was horrible..........have beat myself up time and time again. MD says it could be a result of a missed fracture back then, or just genetic (I have mild form).

They are not messing around because she has some spinal nerve involvement. We are seeing a surgeon and having tests done on Tuesday. Just saw our MD yesterday!

Just wondering if any of you had dealt with this issue? Some feedback about your degree of curvature (not sure hers yet) and the treatment (if any) you underwent and how you are doing today.

Thanks!

2. ashley4219

ashley4219 New Member

i've got nothin, but don't beat yourself up! I hope things get better! poor kiddo! sending some good vibes your way!

3. 4TsFarm

4TsFarm New Member

LOL..... thanks for the good vibes. Can use them all at this point!

4. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I was diagnosed with Mild Scoliosis and lordosis (yes, Im swaybacked!) when I was 17. It definately sucks. I hurt like heck every time I ride a horse. I think the fun of being on the horse makes me not have the pain while I am actually in the saddle- but the second I dismount- OUCH!

If I dont go to the chiro at least once a month I feel like im crippled. Reg. chiro is REALLY important. I also have a hubby who has become the "back cracking" expert, and he can do almost just as fine a job as the Dr, so he cracks my back, at a minimum of once a week (I dont recommend you crack your daughters back- just saying what works for me!).
    I discovered massages about a year or so ago- and try to make it to the chiro and for a massage on the same day.

Back brace when I am on the Tractor or Skid steer for long periods of time has been my newest thing.

Good Luck- its a life long issue.

Also, try and keep her weight under control, and stress the importance of being a healthy weight to her. That makes a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference in how bad your back hurts.

5. 4TsFarm

4TsFarm New Member

Thanks Shannon, for your knowledge. I also have a mild lordosis. My problems are mostly a "tired" back at the end of the day but I can also understand the pain you feel in your back with strenuous activity such as riding and tractor sitting! Good to know that yours did not require surgical intervention as I am praying my daughter can avoid this too. Thanks again for all the tips....we have a good friend thats a chiro.... I just may call him tomorrow to get his input.

Tina

6. Shell

Shell New Member

My cousin had something wrong with her spine, Sorry I don't remember what it was, but some sort of electrodes had to be placed on her back every night and while she slept from what I remember her telling me, is it helped correct the curve in her spine. I never knew she had one. And we had a very close relationship growing up until we became adults. The curve in her spine was found when we were in our early teens.
    She said the treatment hurt, but was able to sleep through it.

7. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

Hugs to you, Tina, and I agree- don't beat yourself up over this.

Can't add anything about the scoliosis, but keep us informed.

8. twinkle

twinkle New Member

One of my friends in H.S. had scoliosis. She wore a big brace every day. It took a few years but she is doing great now.

9. Michele

Michele New Member

4ts Treatment for scoliosis can require anything from some physical therapy to surgery with a rod placed in the back. Please don't beat yourself up, many young girls get scoliosis especially after a growth spurt. Good luck, if they say surgery I would get a second oppinion.

10. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

Don't beat yourself up!
    My spine is slightly crooked. It was discovered when I was about 13 I think. My right femur is 1 inch shorter than the other, causing my entire body to tilt a bit. (I had always noticed my stirrups felt uneven, even when they weren't. But no one ever thought my body was.) The doctor noticed it immediately during my routine physical.

11. NutsEmom

NutsEmom New Member

I have a niece who has a rod in her back due to scoliosis. She had to wait until she was 16 to have the surgery, they wanted her growth to slow or stop before surgery. She has a scar from her hairline to just above her buttcrack. She is close to 5'10" now. I believe prior to surgery she was 5'7" or 5'7-1/2". She is very overweight and has been told numerous times over the past 5 years (she's 21 now) that she would have fewer problems with her back if she would lose some weight.

4Ts, her mom always told my niece that she needed to stand up straight, and felt that she was hunched over because she was so much taller than the other kids. She beat herself up for not noticing the curve sooner. Her pediatrician never said anything about it either. I believe it was when she first went to a gyne dr. for her 9th grade physical that she was finally diagnosed with it. So don't beat yourself up for not noticing! Even the professionals miss things!

12. snaffle

snaffle Guest

4T

YES!! I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 14. Had 2 surgeries of bone graft to correct it. Now they put steel rods in the back.

I would NEVER EVER EVER put a steel rod in my back.

Back when I had my surgery, chiropractic was not well known like it was now.
    It was just a few years ago that I remembered taking a blow to the back of the head when I was 10, and I honestly feel...
    that is what caused my neck and spine to get out of alingment.
    Had chiropractic been well practiced back in the late 60's, I know it would have corrected my scoliosis. I. know. it.

You will probably never find an m.d. who will suggest chiropractic. They prefer to go under the knife.

My advice .. and it is strong.. is to find a competent and well liked liked chiropractor. Med Plus in Rockford is excellant.

Chirorpactic can correct scoliosis without surgery. Chiropractors are well educated about vertebrae, muscles, tendons, nerves...etc etc.

I would NEVER allow my child to go under the knife for scoliosis..
    until I had a chiropractor use his fancy fingers and gadgets to correct it.

If the steel rod is put in... and she has misalignment in the neck or hip area..
    she will have problems later in life. I guarantee it.

13. 4TsFarm

4TsFarm New Member

First off let me say a big THANK YOU for all your posts and sharing regarding this subject!

We just got home from The Carle Spine Institute at Urbana. Dr. Hurford was wonderful! We got great news. She has a "spinal asymmetry (sp?)" probably since birth. This is causing a 6 degree curve of her spine and one leg to be longer than the other and one shoulder to sit higher. This is noticed now because she had such a huge growth spurt (4" in a year). He also checked her for a possible problem that could have been related to a fall like she had at age 6. He saw nothing!

the pain and electrical impulses she is having can be normal during these spurts.

A 10 degree curve is needed for a diagnosis of scoliosis. He also stated that she has grown past the point of ever developing scoliosis! Whew!

We can have an MRI if we choose but he felt it was not necessary at this time. He did recommend physical therapy and I asked about Chiro and he AGREED it could make her feel better...................first time I have ever had a spine MD tell me this!

We will do PT and possibly Chiro.

Thanks again.................we are very relieved that it was not more serious!

14. snaffle

snaffle Guest

What a relief!!!

since one leg is longer than the other (hmmm I think I have heard that about me too)

did he recommend a wedge in her shoe?

15. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

Breathe a big sigh of relief and color the gray hair you got over this one! ;) Hopefully her discomfort goes away.

16. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Good news, and glad to hear it!

17. 4TsFarm

4TsFarm New Member

Let me add.... that while I love love love my family doctor... she really had me alarmed. However, I would rather her be overly concerned as she was when she saw us than to have a blowing us off attitude. And to be truthful the asymmetry is so apparent that the pediatric spine MD said he would have thought it was scoliosis to just "look" at her.

Tawni cried however yesterday because she thought the Dr was saying "it was all in her head". Poor kid here we were THRILLED it was nothing more serious and she is bawling! Later at lunch we laughed at her (and she at herself) after we explained it is NOT IN HER HEAD and we believe she is hurting!

Advil, Tylenol and Physical Therapy will hopefully manage the pain until she is done growing! I am surprised her legs and knees haven't hurt too but so far no complaints. My son complains once a year that his thighs hurt (yes we have had him checked and its growing pains). These kids are unlucky to get their fathers height!

18. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

How much shorter is her one leg than the other?

19. 4TsFarm

4TsFarm New Member

a little over an inch longer

20. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

That's what I have. I just have mild back pain sometimes on my right side of my back bc it is compensating. I don't have pain anywhere else. I think it's actually more common than people think. I went to HS w/ a few kids that had the same thing. I didn't have to wear a corrective shoe.