Anal glands

Discussion in 'KiKi's & Poochies' started by Pixin, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Anyone else have a dog that seems to have problems with their glands? My poor little Allison is always dragging ass. I have the glands squeezed every couple months and they still drive her nuts. One side is always thick and hard and the other is just juicy. :p
    She had an infected gland over a year ago and now it looks like she has it again. Does she need more fiber in her diet?

2. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Ick.

Isn't there a little surgical thing they can do? I thought some friends had that done to their dog.

I do know some people who could help you shave her butt if that would be beneficial. ;D

3. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

I have a friend whose dog had that problem in her later years. They had the glands removed when it became a chronic problem. The surgury was easy, just a couple stitches, and the dog was much more comfortable.

4. Epona

Epona New Member

I would try adding more fiber to her diet first. The surgery isn't always without complications. Personally I've found that more fiber and exercise will cure anal gland problems 8 times out of 10.

Either try switching dog foods or you can add canned pumpkin to her food.

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Does she have tape worms?

What are you feeding? I never had dogs with anal gland problems until I fed Pro Plan Turkey and Rice.

Vet said it couldnt possibly be the dog food.

I switched dog foods .. it cleared up..

then I got a coupon for a free 50 pound bag of it... and of course I got the dog food again..

and the anal gland problem returned. Took the dog off the Pro Plan Turkey and Rice again..and the problem went away.

I would try changing foods.

6. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

My min pin has anal gland problems. Awhile back if I remember right Des posted a site about anal glands. It was funny but also helpful. I can't find it right off.

7. Shadimac

Shadimac New Member

I was just doing research on this myself, although not for dogs. For cats. From everything I read though, it sounds like fiber would be beneficial, and surgery would be a last resort.

My little boy kitty, OMG! I don't think his get clogged, but he "excretes" them at awful times usually when he is right next to me. OMG.. . so .. . very. . .horrible. And of course the scent sticks. . .

Smelly cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you? Smelly cat, smelly cat, its not your fault!

8. Pixin

Pixin New Member

I do not want to have surgery done on her.

I have used the can pumpkin in the past and will give that a try again.

I also switch dog foods every few months. Right now she is on Royal Canin dry food. I have also used Merrick, Wellness, Natural Balance, Fromm and a few others. I cant remember which one she was on the last time she had an infection.