another house bill to be aware of!

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Susan, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Susan

Susan New Member

2. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

An equine's shelter is adequate if it (i) is
    13 structurally sound, (ii) has 3 sides and a waterproof
    14 roof sufficient to protect the animal from the weather,
    15 and (iii) provides, at a minimum, a sheltered area of
    16 at least 10 feet by 15 feet for each equine.

10 x 15 feet for each eqiune...wow

A sufficient daily quantity of good quality,
    20 wholesome food and water provided in an appropriate
    21 container, such as a food bowl or dish. During extreme
    1 weather conditions, each owner must take adequate and, if
    2 necessary, additional care to ensure that each of his
    3 animals has full access to good quality, wholesome food and
    4 to water that is plentiful and not frozen. ;

So, who is going to judge if the food is wholesome??
    Are they going to fine people for equines eating off the floor??
    Or does this section aply to canines only?

3. Susan

Susan New Member

I am writing my senator as well as the introducer of this bill - Sen. Gary G. Dahl (R), 38th District. Another ignorant senator needs an education.

4. Shell

Shell New Member

"10 x 15 feet for each eqiune...wow"

This is going to fuck up a lot of boarding barns! Including the 2 we board at.

A dish or food bowl has to be provided for Hay??!! My guys eat it off the floor.

"and water provided in an appropriate container, such as a food bowl or dish" ??? Sorry horses, no more buckets or water troughs for you, now you have to drink water out of the same kind of bowls like that of dogs.
    How are food bowls and dishes going to hold enough water for a horse?!

5. MelW

MelW New Member

this is scary...between this and the law being passed in CHicago that ALL dogs must be spayed or neutered (hrrmmm what about the people who show {my parents?}) I am truely worried if there is going to be anything legal I will be allowed to do with my horse soon...

6. kats

kats New Member

So are they allowed to eat grass since its on the ground? There are a lot of 10x10 and 12 x 12 stalls out there, so does that mean everyone has to re-do their barns?

7. Shell

Shell New Member

Can someone post addresses and names of the dumbasses we should contact?

8. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

"(5) If a female dog is in season, she shall not be
    9 tethered in a manner that allows male dogs to have access
    10 to her."

WTF?? If my dogs are tethered, and an untethered neighbor's dog comes into my yard WHY is it MY responsibility to not allow male dogs to have access to her?

"A dog's shelter is adequate if it is
    8 structurally sound, waterproof, windproof, and
    9 includes clean bedding and a floor raised off of the"

WINDPROOF- we live in the fricking Midwest! My own house isn't windproof!

Time to get the heck outta Dodge!

9. Shell

Shell New Member

Sounds like we need to write up a petition like all other groups do, and send it in.
    A way to show these idiots what's acceptable in horse care.

10. miss_santana

miss_santana New Member

Sorry, you'd better clip [only the most wholesome] grass blades and feed it to them an appropriate container inside their 10x15' enclosure.

11. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

"They" probably think that emptying the lawn mower bag into a bowl for them would be a good idea....

12. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Love it...bunch of bored politicians makeing it up as they go along.

13. susiebk

susiebk New Member

does this mean we can't picket our horses when camping? I downloaded the bill, and will write to Gary Dahl (I'm in his district) tomorrow. He was really great, and even called me when I wrote about the NAIS requirement for county fairs last year.....BTW HB 5776 (I think that was it) passed and got stuck in committee when the IL Dept of Ag changed its mind.....

Thanks....

14. glf01

glf01 New Member

It's intresting how they come up with some of these things. Like in our town they just passed an ordinance that you can't have any pigs. This comes from the farm in Wauconda where the guy got some pigs so they couldn't put up a huge water tower across the street from his house. He won in court. But when I went to the meeting about our town the new demands about hooved animals but it turns out that it is only for new residents or people who are getting animals for the first time. So based on the new laws check and be sure that if you already have an established farm or boarding place that it won't have to change, they are grandfathered.

15. 56hooves

56hooves Senior Member

I have been an Illinois Approved Humane Investigator since 1989 and I think this is the best news I have heard in a long time. We have begged and begged for someone to put it into law and spell out just exactly what shelter means. For years the DOA wouldn't let us enforce shelter at all for horses. I currently have a pony in a very large chain link pen, but the only shelter is a very small bush on the outside of the pen. There are no buildings around at all, so not even a windbreak of any kind. He finally put up a blue tarp on the fence to block the north and west wind and even put a tarp over the top. Of course, the top blew down immediately. That means that during the days and days of 9 inches of snow and the way below freezing temps that pony essentially had no shelter. The case was closed and I'm pretty sure the tarps are surely blown down by now. This is only one case I can tell you about. There are many many I have gone on that I have not been allowed to do anything. This will spell it out and I will be able to enforce some sort of shelter. I think you are reading way too much into the 10x15 thing. It doesn't mention stalls at all, but says that there should be atleast that much room in the shelter. I believe it said that it should have 3 sides(my loafing sheds have two sides currently) and that each each horse should have atleast 10x15. I read that to mean that was for an outside shelter. I have been to places where there were way too many horses and they wouldn't be able to all get into the tiny shelter that was available. It could be that this law needs tweaked a bit, but atleast we have something to go on. Notice it doesn't mention cows, goats, pigs, etc. I am sure that the agriculture lobby made sure of that.

As for the tethering and shelter for dogs that is needed also. Down here where I live, people treat dogs as throw away commodities and could care less if they even have shelter. I have been to many places where the shelter for the dogs is an old junk truck, a camper shell on the ground, or a rowboat turned on its' side. The dogs are often tied to the bumper and can get under the truck, but there is absolutely no windbreak. I have seen dog houses that have no bottom, no bedding,one or two sides missing and sometimes no roof. The camper shells are on the ground, so that is all the dogs have to lie on. If it has been raining alot, the floor is pure mud or sometimes standing in water. At the present time, we cannot legally require that a person have bedding of any type. If they already have a questionable shelter, the straw would do wonders. The addition to the law spells it out. As for tethering, do you think a dog deserves to be tied to a post with a 10 feet chain that has no swivel? When they are they go around until they are usually caught very tight and cannot get into the shelter they might be lucky enough to have or they cannot reach the water in the 100 degree heat. I have been on cases where the person tells me that the dog lives in the house most of the time, but it sonly tied outside to go to the bathroom. That might be true in some cases, but most of the people are lying and if you go back 6 hours later the dog is still there. By placing a limit on how long they can be tethered without shelter that enables us to enforce the shelter. Unless you have ever worked at a shelter, you don't have a clue why they would want to make spay/neuter a law. I get so mad I see red, so I will stop with this part.

I didn't read anything for sure about tethering horses, but guess what idiots do down here? They often stake their horses out in their yards to eat grass instead of building a fence. Sometimes they tie them out with chains and when the horse gets tangled it tears up its' legs. I have seen idiots tie their horses to a spare tire and when the horse gets scared it takes off. You can just imagine the damage that can be done from something like that. I have also seen horses tied to a loose board with nails that has come loose and totally torn up the horses legs when they get scared and run off.

Idiots are what makes us have to have laws that spell out exactly how we can treat our animals. I think you should think it throw before you post how stupid this law might be. Some of the comments I have read make me think that some of you don't believe in treating your horses and dogs humanely. Sabella Rush

16. hobblehanger

hobblehanger New Member

I would be very careful with that comment. You don't know what can of worms you may of just opened.

And, have you even thought that maybe some of the comments were meant to be sarcastic??

There are alot of us on here that just don't believe that "government" should be making laws about things they have no clue on.

Here is the problem with government coming up with laws of this nature.......

The more laws you have, the more room there is for false judgements (waste of your time, as an investigator, and probably tax payers money).
    My example-your comment that I copied above. Do you really think by the posts here, that some of us don't know how to treat our animals humanely??? Right there shows, that you as an investigator, if you had this law available to you, would have some of these people in trouble. Just because of your "opinion" and not because of fact and or knowledge. You just "think" and wham!! Guilty!
    I have read over this thread like 5 times now before modifying my post, to make sure that I didn't miss something, and I don't think anyone on here makes it seem like we are being inhumane.

And please don't mistake my post as we are all "angels". There are animal owners our there that should NOT own animals of any kind. There are always a few bad apples.
    There should be a commone sense law, that if you don't know how to care for an animal, you should not own one. But, that will never happen.

The bigger the government, the less freedoms we have.
    Next thing there will be a law on how to wipe your ass and how much TP to use.

17. lori

lori New Member

Here is what scares me. I have a gorgeous, safe, 12x24 lean-to. 1 year old, well-built, lined with thick plywood, good drainage, etc. Two horses live in that in a pretty big dirt lot full time. I would say they have it the best because they can come and go into their shelter as they please. The two that live in it happily eat from the same hay pile (we always throw at least 2 piles) and are great buddies--that's why they are in it together.

Half of 12x24 is 12x12 and that is 6' square feet short of 10x15 IF they even let you look at square footage. Someone might say they believe a horse needs 15' to stretch out properly (nevermind they aren't contained in this space). Or maybe it's just bad enogh to be 6' square feet short. Stranger things have happened. 12x24 was fairly arbitrary, if there'd been a good deal on 10' 2x4s, I might have made it 10x20.

So, what if my competitor/neighbor/animal RIGHTS people get mad at me. I am now not following the law with regards to my horses. How can I be sure my horses won't get taken away?

18. MelW

MelW New Member

:th_appl: :th_agree:

19. hobblehanger

hobblehanger New Member

Sabella Rush-

I am so not trying to be an asshole here.....

Just out of cusiosity, what does it take for one to be an investigator? And what experience did you have or had before becoming an investigator? In the "equine" area.
    I mean, did you just take a test and you were assigned as an investigator? Or did you have to show schooling, years of horse ownership, maybe any clubs or orginaziations that you belonged to? example:AQHA, Ptha, PTHA, POA, I could go on, but you get my drift.

I really don't think that (not picking on you SR, just general statement here) that someone saying;

I owned a dog since I was a little girl/boy and I taught him to sit and speak, qualifies one to be an animal investigator. I don't even want to hear that anyone just happened to "own" a horse when they were growing up, cause that don't mean dick to me.

I would hope that an investagator would truly be educated in animals, care, have some kind of education (associates is ok) to be given the duties of investagator.

Ok, I will get off of my soap box now....

20. miss_santana

miss_santana New Member

I can certainly understand wanting to have quantitative data as the minimum requirements. But that's what they need to be: the bare minimum requirements for a horse to be healthy. Where the heck does 10 x 15' come from?