Anybody else creeped out by Facebook?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by photofinish, Feb 17, 2009.

1. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

An old HS friend sent me a "see my site" kind of email from Facebook. We were real tight all through JR High and HS, then just sort of drifted. She lives in FL now and we communicate every year or so.
    So, I follow the link and it tells me I have to "sign up" to view this page. With some trepidation, I fill out the minimum info... Whamo! Every person who is on Facebook who I have EVER emailed or vice versa suddenly appears on this page! THAT IS CREEPY!!! Am I the only one who feels this way???? My friend sent me a note back on there, I told her I emailed her some pictures. Threw a galloping horse up on the avatar real quick, but I am not sure about that site....

2. MelW

MelW New Member

that site honestly terrifies me!

3. ribbons-ally

ribbons-ally New Member

I refuse to sign up even though a friend that moved away said she has one. They just had on the news that facebook can use your stuff even if you cancel the account. Thats just creepy.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

It doesn't creep me out per say but all the applications do. I LUFF MyFarm, but that other stuff...pass a drink, pillow fight, all that...well, I just don't get it, I accept stuff and never see it again, I don't know where the hell it went....So while I appreciate people are thinking about me, unless it's a tree or livestock their sending I hit ignore now, LOL.

5. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

:th_ditto: about all the pillow fights and that other crap. I ignore most of it, cause like you said, BUC, I never see it again. I keep sending people Breyers, and then the next day, I get a notification that they're sorry to see me go. Can't figure it out, and I have so many better things to be dong than trolling facebook and filling out all those "get to know me" lists. I've got better places to be...like here ;D

6. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

I ignore all the crap that's not for the farm. I can still see the Breyer's on my profile page on the left side - but I think it's the ones I've sent not the ones I've received.

I'm tired of growing tomatoes. :p

7. BUC

BUC Administrator

Interesting article LMA.

Actually what creeps me out the most about Facebook is I don't know who in the hell half my friends are if they don't have a picture of their horse or something else to recognize them by. I wish there was a spot for forum screen names, LMAO.

8. Roherynn

Roherynn New Member

I do not have a facebook account, and at my age, that makes me a: :looser:

I just don't have the time. :-

9. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

I am confused. They use what "stuff"?

I am not creeped out by it at all. I am not really that active on the site. But like anything else on the internet, don't put something on there that you don't want everyone to see.

10. Angien

Angien New Member

I am an addict to My Farm and the Breyer Horses..
    Alot of people from my past have found me, but who cares?

11. Buffy

Buffy New Member

If it hadn't been for Myspace and Facebook, my graduating class never would've had a reunion. No one planned a 10 year reunion, so a friend of mine and I got together on Myspace and 'planned' an 11 year "party".

We had about 30 people on Myspace RSVP and thought that was a pretty good turnout for Payton's Roundhouse.
    We ended up with about 110 people there. Someone from Myspace also had a Facebook and cross-posted. So they really are VERY good tools for staying in contact with people you normally wouldn't.

Also good to get together with same people every 5 - 10 years and be able to laugh at how much weight the bitches from high school gained! >:D

12. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

I just set up a facebook account this morning and I think it's confusing as heck. I hate how everyone sees everything that everyone writes you as an update... etc. etc.

It is really kinda creepy.

13. Angien

Angien New Member

You can change that option.
    I know I did so only my friends see my wall, pics, etc...

14. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

I will have to look into that option. I am not that familiar w/ facebook. I don't know if others can see my wall.

15. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Ditto. I have everything set on Private. Also be careful to set your CELL or PHONE number to private if you dont want anyone to see it. I also have an e-mail address up that I use for all "internet" activity vs. my real e-mail address.

Also, no offence to the many wonderful people I have met on internet forums, but I am soon going to do a sweep of friends and only leave up those I have actually met in real life.

There are many ways to ensure your privacy- and I have to say I ^.^.^ FACEBOOK. Its been AWESOME reconnecting with people I have not seen in YEARS and I think its so cool. I also love the chat option and will chat with friends while doing homework etc. Also LOVE to create events and send them out to friends. I ^.^.^ ^.^.^ ^.^.^ Facebook.

oh, and ditto to ignoring everything but MyFarm, LOL!

16. lori

lori New Member

So tell me if I'm wrong--Heypony has not been on IHO/MWH since she discovered Facebook horse racing, has she?

Oooh Photofinish, you'll have to get into horse racing. Feed, condition, 'roid them, and race them! I love it but I recognize I have an addiction...

17. Shannon

Shannon New Member

LMAO- you are SO right. I can always count on chatting with her after 8pm on Facebook, LOL! Be careful though- she is a Facebook Horse Racing Pony Stealer. She will steal "The Hott blond" and "Sofa King Fasster" right out of their stables and race them, LOL. I get notices " (Heypony) is Racing one or more of your horses" LOL! As long as they win, I dont care ;D

18. hobblehanger

hobblehanger New Member

I so did not know that FB had a horse racing app! I am going to have to find it.

I ^.^.^ my farm....I just wish the cows and chickens did something. I check myfarm every day.

19. lori

lori New Member