Anyone used this vet?

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by alljackedup, Jan 16, 2009.

1. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Joan McArthur

She's in the Yorkville area, but I don't know anything about her. I'm looking for a new equine vet and have heard that she also does small animals for her equine clients.

Good or bad....need to know please.

2. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

I used her I liked her she tried everything to save my one mare who was colicing and had no problem coming out and telling me when she couldn't do anymore and had me haul her. The only problem I had was she was about 40 mins from me and it took her a longer time to get to me for emergencys it was 2 hours before she could get there. So I got Chessie Lane now because they are closer.

3. desederada

desederada New Member

I think Vets are more of a personal choice and you should just give her a try and see if you yourself like her or not. You are always going to have just as many positives from people as you do negatives and it boils down to personal choice.

4. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Well, the reason that I am asking is because since we've gotten Max (our new dog), the vet that he was taken to out in Amboy, has never heard of her. Kinda thought that vets around here would at least recognize someones name. Just made me kinda curious.

We've never needed a local vet for the dogs, cause my uncle in WI was a daity vet, and also did his clients samll animals, so he would always do the dogs' yearly exams, shots, and such.

Well, 2 months ago, he was diagnose with lung cancer, and is in and out of the hospital, so has had to retuire, and doesn't do any vetting anymore. He sold his practice and everything, so now I've gotta find a small animal vet as well.

5. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

My friend uses her and loves her...

6. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

I think she's a hoot. A couple years ago I sat in as a judge with her at a horse bowl competition-I really enjoyed talking to her.

7. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Well, I just spoke with her, and she was very very nice. Won't need her for the horses until Spring (coggins and HC for the trailride), but she's gonna come out and take a look at Max, and bring me some heartguard, so we're good. ;D

8. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

She was training at the track when I was grooming *ahem* ago. She then went to vet school and I ran into at Naperville several years ago. Very good horseman and incredibly intelligent. If I was back there I'd use her.

9. glf01

glf01 New Member

You are in Luck I happen to know Joan very well she was a good froend of my sister. Joan went to vet school in St. Kitt which from my understanding is a very good school she was the top of her class. She did train race horses before going to vet school. She did her internship at Kendall Road equine hospital there she worked on a TB for a client of ours. The horse went into the clinic and she discovered that his intestines dropped into his testicles and they did surgery, She called and kept me up on his progress we did end up losing the horse the colitis but it had nothing to do with her or the clinic. She comes from a great family and she is a super caring person. I wish she lived closer to me she would be my one and only vet. Tell her Doreen (Denise's sister)said hi. You will not regret it if you use her.

10. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Thanks glf. She's calling me in the morning to set up a time to come out and see Max, and meet the horses. i have a friend who used to do paperwork and stuff for her, and she thinks the world of her.

11. Stacey

Stacey New Member

Joanie is a good egg! You'll like her. Tell Stacey from West Chicago says hi!

12. StarryNight924

StarryNight924 New Member

A trainer I rode with a few years ago worked for her and when I had all my leg issues with my mare, she took the time to read my x-rays for free. She comes off kind of gruff, but was very helpful and really seemed to know her stuff. From what I could tell, she REALLY loves her horses and will do her absolute best to help someone out with an issue. She was very supportive when I talked to her about my options from there and helped me make the decision to give her to a home who spoils her more than I do! ;D

13. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I like Vets..

I don't like to have to call them tho...

14. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

I hear ya AKP. I just found out that the girl that always took care of ours, has left the vet office that we used, and now she's too far away, so gotta find someone close. :-

15. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Did you realize she's like neighbors with Sierras?

16. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

tbitt...knows of her.she was at MARE RUN ( Susan's ) that night ( drinking ) when MARE RUNS horse busted his lip open and need stitches and she was there in like 15 min. VERY VERY VERY inexpensive for having to call AFTER hours and emergency call at that.

17. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Well, luckily, I don't need her yet, but with all this good feedback, I can't wait to meet her. She was supposed to come out last weekend, but had emergencies come up, so didn't happpen.

18. MARE RUN

MARE RUN New Member

To clarify: Tbitt, Rexy,& Sierra plus a few others were enjoying a brew. Myself, Dr Joan, and my colt were not drinking. The colt did need a little plastic surgery to ensure he stays my handsome "bald-faced paint. Dr Joan is about a 1/2 hour from my farm. That night she was able to get here in 45 minutes to start the repair.
    I have used her since 2004 and you are lucky to get her. As far as a small animal vet up in Amboy knowing her,... well........... if you were at the Equine vets office in Amboy, my guess is that Dr Toni T would know Dr Joan. Large animal vets do not always keep track of the small animal vets.
    Say Hi for Susan & "GUS" (Painte the Way)

19. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Well, thanks to Jack scaring the crap out of me this evening, I finally met Joan tonite. 2 words.............LOVE HER!!

What a great lady. I called her at 7:30, and she was in my barn w/in 10 minutes. It helps that she's not far away, but my "other" vet was also close, and could never get anyone here any sooner than 2 hours when Jack collicked right after we moved up here, and there were several vets at this practice.

Not only did she get ME calmed down, but she was very good to explain what and why she was doing everything that she did, had me listen to everything that she was listening to. Even had my daughter listen so that she would learn something.

After the crisis was over, I tried to remember everyone's name that wanted me to say hi. :)

She said to say hi to all of you!!