Arthritic knee--

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by MyTeDun, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

25yr old gelding, bombproof guy for my 2 1/2 yr old grandson

left front knee is swollen with arthritis, swelling is localized to the inside of the knee. The swelling is the size of a golf ball and hard.

He is not lame, no heat, he is running around, kicking, bucking.

Fine under saddle at the walk with lighter ride (grandson)----

Is there anything I can do for this guy to lengthen his years of usefulness?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have him on aspirin and joint supplements------ Would heat or ice treatments help at all? Looking for your advice before the vet and dentist comes out at end of month for yearly routine visit

2. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

If it doesn't bug him, I wouldnt get too froggy. Ice and arthiritis can be a bad combo - cold stiffens them up more jusyt like it does you. MSM, Chondroitin, HA, Glucosamine, ester C all good stuff. If he looks a little stiffer some days, try keeping around some Absorbine or Bigeloil to rub his knee down with. If he start having more sore days than sound, maybe something like Surpass, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money yet, from what you are descibing.

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thank you so much Photofinish----

I will give him rub downs after riding and check into the surpass

That little boy just loves this horse

4. photofinish

MTD, I really would not rush into the Surpass unless he is having quite a few bad days. I love Surpass when called for, BUT it IS an NSAID, albeit topically applied. So it, in addition to oral NSAIDs (Bute, Aspirin) can cause ulcers and has some blood-thinning side effects. Have be careful with it. Limiment or even DMSO mixed with dexamethasone would be first line of attack :th_2cents:

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I am going to work with the rubdowns first.

Nothing more will be done unless called for and checked out with xrays.

Thank you again, afraid sometimes people jump and go to uncalled for extremes---- I'm glad to have someone like you to keep me thinking

6. doc T

doc T New Member

I am interested to know why poeple are hesitant to use an NSAID, but have no worries about using Steroids....

7. photofinish

I guess I do like DMSO/Dex better than Surpass, but if I don't see results over 10 days or so I go to Surpass. Maybe because in the runners we are battling gut problems so much and I worry about NSAIDs and bleeding. That being said, I am not a big steroidal joint injector. 1) My owners read their vet bills w/ a magnifying glass and 2) by working on the legs and using joint supplements I seem to be able to inject alot less. I have 8 head in training right now and last injected (hocks) on a 5 yr old early Dec.

I forgot to add : I really like Adequan and/or IV Legend. I have not yet used the injectable HA other than interarticular, so no opinion there, but do use a joint supplement w/ HA. May not do crap all, but using it gives me "a warm fuzzy feeling". :p

8. middleageddebutante

middleageddebutante New Member

Ditto this.

And keep that old guy moving with as much turnout as possible - exercise is what these old guys need.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I have to laugh because Jr is actually middle aged for my barn---- He ranks third in age
    I've been giving him some rubdowns with an ointment---I just hope he can stay ridable for this summer, he's perfect for the grandson
    After that I will have to make a decision--Would like to find him a pasture buddy job somewhere, he's just too damn nice to put down and healthy other then his knee.