Basements

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shadimac, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Shadimac

Shadimac New Member

Am I too old to be afraid of basements?? In my defense, I never got to be scared of one growing up because we didn't have one. I am also aware that this is all in my head, but I do have to say that my dog just about near refuses to go down in the basement for some reason. He follows me everywhere around the house, unless I'm in there. :eek:

Now I live in a house with an unfinished basement. I don't mind going down there during the day. But I went down there tonight (around 9ish) to use the treadmill, and as I'm just walking, hoping my pets will accompany me in the basement as my cats seem to like it down there. Tucker, one of my cats makes his way down there and I turn the laser pointer on for him, as he is also in need of some exercise, and he gets scared and runs upstairs! He LOVES the laser pointer! Then my mind starts wondering like it does, and its cold, and lonely, and well just eerie. I gave up after 5 minutes of freaking myself out and decided that treadmill work has to be done during the day. (This house is not old, I think its only 8-9 so it doesn't have the creepy old house factor)

2. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Hmmm, what happened to the prior owners? Maybe there is a ghost(s) down there. Animals can sense them you know.. ;D

3. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Your dog probably refuses to go in the basement, because he senses how scared you are.
    I loved our basement when I was a kid. It was unfinished and we roller skated down there in bad weather. (yes, I said roller skated, not bladed) :D

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

I don't have a choice on being afraid here. The shower and washer/dryer are there. My sons room is also down there and he doesn't live here anymore....now believe me THAT room scares the hell out of me ;D

Those real old damp farmhouse basements do creep me out though.

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

The basement at the house when I was a child was all dirt...
    dirt floor.. dirt walls..
    and small. Mom stored her potatoes and home canned goods down there.

The basement where we live now..
    is small... in most areas I can not stand upright..

previous owners had the basement cemented.. and rather than dig down for a lower floor.. they put cement on top of whatever was there.
    taking away depth

6. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

Thank God I am not afraid of bsmts. I live down there.

7. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

Shad- what kind of stairs do you have leading down to your basement? Are they open in the back? Some dogs don't like to go up those open ones, so they avoid going down too.

I <heart> my basement....it's kinda why we bought the house...just an old cellar, farmhouse basement, but it can get creepy too. Dogs never refused, but I have a cat who will scream if I try to carry her downstairs!!

Kudos to you on the treadmill!

8. Shell

Shell New Member

Maybe your house was built on top of a burial ground! >:D Like Polterguist! ;D

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

Um Shell...I don't think your being very helpful ;D

10. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

I don't do basements, either.

11. Shadimac

Shadimac New Member

Hahaha. It's ok BUC, its during the day! I can handle the jokes! No ghost stories after dark though. :D

No open stairs, they are closed. It might just be that he is getting older and doesn't want to do the stair thing anymore, but the only reason I don't believe that is because whenever I go to the second level of our house, he always follows me.

As far as previous owners go, there are none. My mom and dad has this house built. Although you never know about the burial grounds. . .

I do believe its just my mind playing tricks on me. It wanders too much at night and I can easily freak myself out. I can no longer watch horror movies by myself for this very reason. If I don't let my mind wander while I'm awake, I end up having nightmares. LOL. During the day however, I am fine.

12. cherokee

cherokee New Member

Our basement is creepy to including the underground room. Yep there is a really old wood door on the north side of our basement that opens into a nice dark, damp nasty underground
    room. and yes it is under ground as we have measured the width of the house where the room is and the upstairs width where the room is and the upstairs width is 8 foot shorter
    than the basement width.

Needless to say we don't use it.

13. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

When I was a kid my brother told me the boogeyman lived behind the furnace in the basement. Automatically scarred for life! My brother was good at the scarring for life thing.

Now I'm all grown up and my basement is finished, yet I never spend time down there. I have no problem going down to do laundry or retrieve/put things in storage. There's a nice couch and a tv down there, it's all carpeted and paneled with nice bookshelves, but it rarely gets any use. Just don't like the basement. :-

14. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Our basement is one of those 150 yr old dungeons that give you a backache.
    Flagstone wall foundation and an old root cellar which we have closed off and put plywood over the opening to try to block some of the cold air.

Gravel floor and definitely not high even to spend time down there. Furnace, water heater and softener are down there---only time I head down is to hide during a storm or check the sumppumps.

Perfect storm shelter------ Flagstone wall corrider about 10 ft. long, the walls are about 4 ft. thick along there. The dog and I hide when the sky turns green!

15. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

Our basement has creek rock walls and a trench dug along the bottom of the walls. The back wall of the basement shows signs of a old fireplace that has long since been covered over. Since our deed shows that the house we lived in was two old houses moved and connected together back in 1921 we believe our basement was a old sod hut at one time. When it rains the water cascades down the rock walls and follows the trench to the drain......I don't go down in our basement unless I am forced.....

16. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

If you really are getting creepy feelings down there the electrical or wiring or fuse boxes can be giving weird readings of EMF off. It can cause creepy feelings, paranoia, etc. etc.

I learned that on Ghost Hunters. :nana: In reality though my basement was like that to me in the front half (I live in the finished back half) and I had it checked out. They fixed it and no more creepy feelings, instantly.

17. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

That really sounds interesting though- never saw a basement like that ELECTRICAL????

18. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Ok I know this will CREEEEEEEEEEP everyone out . . . .I have the ancient old farm house with the unfinished-ish. This fall we had some hired help and one of their projects was to clean the litterally 50 years of CRAP outa there. Before they cleaned i wouldnt even go down there. Well after a few hours of them hauling loads out of there the calls of "hey ladeee haaayyy laddeee" "come look come look We take out?" So i get brave go down there, sure as shit they want me to go look in one of the many "rooms" that are down there. WTF there is a OLD OLD OLD toilet, sink and a drain on the floor and a rusty showerhead hanging up. Everything was filthy and even a cracked mirror hanging up. It still has me freaked out that there was a bathroom in the basement that i had no idea was there. So I dashed up stairs to ask the SO abt it . . . Yup he says . . .two families used to live down there. OMG people used to live in the basement. Its clean now but still CREEPS me out. Acording to S/O's dad more than 2-3 people have died down there.

19. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

LOL Electric electrical... all means the same in my pee brain!

20. Shell

Shell New Member

So the feeling of someone watching you that you can't see, and the feeling of someone being right behind you as you go up the stairs, could actually be an electric currant from wires and such?
    Wish I had known that when I lived in homes that had creepy feeling basements. I probably would have put that in my mind, instead of trying to run up the stairs with the hair standing up on the back of my neck, and would have saved me from tripping up the stairs and bruising my shin many a times! :D