Beet pulp

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by JZ, Jan 9, 2009.

1. JZ

JZ New Member

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

It's not my favorite thing in the world, but I have a friend who SWEARS by it.

3. syndiego

syndiego New Member

I use it, and have for years.  No kidney failure yet. I trust Dr. Kellon, and also thousands of endurance riders, IR/Cushing horse owners, etc.
    Plus, I would say the majority of us that feed beet pulp don't feed it as the main ingredient in our horses' diets, so that also minimizes some of the scarey claims of 'poisoning'.. I looked for a date on the article you linked, and couldn't find it.

I read the article, and I suppose if you want to feed totally organic/holistic, you might be scared off by the "toxic" claims - perhaps there is a kernel of truth in there.   However, then, be sure to check any of your commercial grain ingredients, as the same risk would apply.

I googled "toxic beet pulp" and came up with this equally scarey article:

http://www.justgrain.com/printer/good_bad_ugly.html

If you bother to read the whole thing, soy and corn should also be avoided.

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Soaked down ( warm water ) crumbled beet pulp mixed with Nutrena Sr., shredded carrots, shredded apples and a dose of Hard Keeper -------------
    This is the only thing that has kept our old lady, who is now 46 alive!!!

I SWEAR BY IT!!

5. syndiego

syndiego New Member

46 !!!! :eek: That's amazing. I;ll bet she has no teeth left. Great job!

6. PT

PT New Member

Geez, after that article that Syn posted, WTF CAN you feed?!?

When I was feeding (and will be again shortly) Triple Crown Complete which has a main ingredient of shredded beet pulp, my horse never looked better. She rode just fine and acted just fine too, and man did her coat look AMAZING!

Des has (or was) feeding her horse this too and she liked it a lot.

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/complete.php
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/completeingredients.php
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/completeanalysis.php

7. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

there is so much more to a toxic reaction then JUST the beet pulp... I had good luck with it when I used it but I didn't use it as forage replacement I used it for calories that are lacking in my ration balancer when I had one drop a bit on me last winter because of a teething issue

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I did alot of experimenting trying to figure out what to feed this old girl and found the beet pulp and Nutrena Sr. to be the best for her. She takes prep time to get her meals ready but hell at that age she's worth it---- NO teeth and not one bit of arthritis or even cataracts

She eats, shits and teases the geldings on a daily basis.

9. horsecrazier

horsecrazier Senior Member

Wow, makes our 27 year old girl just a baby!!!

10. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

remind me to retire at your house.... LOL I think we need a pic of said old lady!!!

I have never used beet pulp.. but.. I have heard great things about it..

11. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I really do believe it is what is keeping her alive, even our vet laughs and states she can't believe she is still healthy.
    She's thin but there is only so much grain you can feed. She chews, or I should say she sucks on hay then spits it at you when its dry.

We have 3 that are over the age of 25----Misty46, Rocky32 and JR27

[​IMG]

She does what she wants and believe me when I say she is something else----in order to trim her she has to be tranquilized by the vet! We have tried everything----she flips over, kicks like crazy and simple refuses to stand.

I love the old guys but every morning I worry if they are going to still be with us.

12. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

LOL cranky old lady :) she looks wonderful for her age!!!!!

13. desederada

desederada New Member

Yes we were feeding the Triple Crown complete. I have to say it is the best feed I think we've ever fed. The problem was that the price made such a drastic increase that we had to switch. We have been reducing the herd and may be going back to it. I was hoping with the gas price going down maybe the feed would too.

14. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

TC Complete is what I was feeding too, and it was by far the best commercially prepared feed I've ever used (Mom used to feed a custom blended feed from a "recipe" given to her by Monfort; that was the absolute best but I don't think living large like that will ever happen again for our horses unless we win the lotto and a big payoff at that).

And like you, the damn stuff priced itself right out of my league (plus the gas to go pick it up at the one feed store that would carry it for me). So, I'm back to using a cob mix from the local store -- it's really not bad feed at all, but it isn't TC or the custom stuff.

As for beet pulp, I've always used it in the winter months to add extra bulk and moisture to their feed. Never had any problems with it, but I did take Chester off and replaced with extra alfalfa cubes to see if maybe he was having an issue with the beet. It certainly isn't going to hurt him any to give it a shot (50 lbs. of beet pulp is costing me more than similar in alfalfa cubes, which must be a first). I know people who swear by beet pulp, and I know others who don't care for the stuff.

15. 2horses

2horses New Member

She really looks great at 46, I have an appy that will be 32 and still has her teeth,and she still look good also.
    Sandy