Before/after home improvement: decorating the spare bedroom

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by lori, Jan 27, 2009.

1. lori

lori New Member

This room has served a variety of uses but most recently it was repository of junk. I had an eye towards making it useful with my last Ikea trip, so I kind of got to do my own Trading Spaces!

This room is tough to photograph, it's tiny and the door is in a corner and the closet is next to it, so it's got a little mini hallway of its own that limits the view.
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's actually brighter than the photos suggest--my camera just didn't like those lamps, I think.
    Bedding - $100 target
    Lamps - ~$12 each + $5 shade at Ikea
    Rug - $29 Ikea
    Curtains - $28 Wal-mart
    Curtain Rod - $18 on clearance Lowes

Total = $213

Oh, plus...
    Bed/bedframe - inherited
    Antique sewing machine table - $20 or $40 at a garage sale

I've STILL got the ironing board in there, I have new drapes and curtain rods for my daughter's room and the drapes still need the crap ironed out of them.. fun. Oh, and my pet peeve--previous owners of this house painted over the electrical outlets, so I'm taking the opportunity to switch them out in this room too. So that's another $10 or so into this room.

2. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Now you need a night stand in the corner.

And a few cutesy pics on the wall.

3. lori

lori New Member

Oh, I do have a cutesy pic from Ikea. Frame and pic I think was $29. It's very usefully sitting on my dining room table right now.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30132315
    I'm not 100% sold on it. I like how it acknowledges the stripes, and has the same colors in it. But it may be too different of a "vibe."

Do you think I should move the sewing machine table over to stand in for a nightstand?

Actually, I put most of Ikea purchases in a spare closet since I'm trying to dejunk. I kind of forgot I have a few more things to put in th ehouse. I have THE COOLEST print ever for my bedroom, above the bed. I'm really excited to hang it--maybe I can get that wall painted tonight.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30132344

4. Tbitt

Oooo....I like that?

[​IMG]

Try moving the sewing machine table over there, take a pic and post it. Lets see!

5. lori

lori New Member

Well, I want the goose for MY bedroom! Get it, bed, sleepy goose... yeah.

The rows of flowers pic is for the spare/rainbow room.

6. Tbitt

Oh, No, I get it............I was just pointing out that I liked that pic.............I'm not sold on that "other" one either.

Put it up - take a pic - if we don't like it sell the ugly thing............ :nana:

7. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

The color scheme reminds me of a roll of life savers. Yummy!
    I think with the right frame and mat that the pic you have for the spare room will look good.

8. susiebk

susiebk New Member

Looks GREAT....I can't believe you still went to IKEA despite the BLIZZARD and FREEZING COLD...........want to come and declutter/redecorate my spare room and my unfinished basement? ;D

9. paige

paige New Member

I have that same bedspread in my spare room--but my walls in there are dark orange. For real. It is fierce.

It is a good cuddly blanket though

10. lori

lori New Member

My daughter is tempted to trade rooms for the bedspread/rug, even though her room is much bigger and the furniture is better. She might get to switch bedspreads after awhile...

Susie--We did go to IKEA on the second coldest day of the year. We passed so many semis stopped on the road but the roads were good. We took my friend's 5 month old baby and there was a little bit of guilt--but really--we ran him to the car, then ran him into Ikea, and stayed in Ikea for the next 5.5 hours! He saw very little weather. By the way, that baby is a champ and will be a great man if he's happy to Ikea shop with a couple of girls for 5.5 hours already!