Before/after home improvement: regrouting my bathroom

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by lori, Jan 27, 2009.

1. lori

lori New Member

LOL, sounds fascinating doesn't it? Well, you guys are all quiet so I thought I'd throw something up. This was a project where I was like, something needed to be done, well, screw it, I'll try the cheap and easy fix. I fully expected to be unsuccessful, but this went awesome.

Here's where I got my instructions:
    Replacing tile (note, I didn't replace the drywall as it was generally OK underneath): http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,218790,00.html
    Maintaining the rest of the tile: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,217076,00.html

Before--yeah, it's gross. I'd tried in my weak domestically ignorant way to get the tile clean, but when the tiles fell I just quit using this bathroom. Awesome.
    [​IMG]

Whatcha doin?
    [​IMG]

Everything else that was loose:
    [​IMG]

Mortar--more annoying, less fun than expected:
    [​IMG]

Pre grout
    [​IMG]

Post grout, waiting for the grout to cure or whatever so I can seal and caulk.
    [​IMG]

I think in a few more days I can wrap this one up. I really didn't expect this to go well, so I am thrilled! Also--I freely acknowledge that there's a tile in there not straight, but that is O.K. (Stewart Smalley voice there).

2. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Lori, that looks great!

Good Job.

Just make sure you seal the grout really well!

3. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Lori you have done a beautiful job!!

Two questions..
    1.   did you replace the drywall with the green type?

2. How did you get a picture of MY dog in YOUR baffroom?  ;)

[​IMG]

I shaved her from the ears back last week.. so she lost a lot of her gray color

4. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Awesome job, Lori!!!

*And holy carp...TWINS!!!*

5. lori

lori New Member

I did not replace the drywall, in my professional *coughcough* opinion, there was absolutely no need to go doing something crazy like cutting into drywall. (I HATE drywall work!) This seems to stick fine and it seemed solid, so...

Regarding twins--see, Kady is so tiny and hairless she looks like that all the time! She's my little pup I got pre-board crash from a shelter in Indiana.

6. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Yep, we remember when you got her :)

Suzy usually has a similar haircoat, but snaffle shaved her because she was sick of all the shedding. :-X