Before you mail a package

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by snaffle, Feb 4, 2009.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Wow!! I am in shock ... :eek:

Just when did the postage on packages and large envelopes go up?

A lady sent me 2 small books... and I will be shipping her a furminator.

I could not understand why her postage was so dog gone high..
    $8.75 with delivery confirmation :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

her package weighed 1 pound 3 ounces.

The postal clerk did not give her any options.. only priority..

with the new flat rate envelope it would have been $4.95 plus delivery confirmation.
    this was not offered to her.

when something is shipped in an envelope now..
    there is no option for parcel post?? (on line usps calculator) weird.

Media mail would have been $2.58 plus delivery confirmation
    But this also was not offered to her

there is a new SMALL FLAT RATE BOX, but the post offices can not get them.. and I can not even order them on line!! they are not in supply yet.. but they came out in January !!! The new small flat rate box will cost $4.95 to ship.

Be careful when you are shipping anything!! The rates have become ridiculous.

I have to ship the furminator to her.. and now I have to do my homework to find the most economical way.. or I could end up spending an extra $5 over a normal fee

2. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

Hmmm...I didn't think rates were too bad. I just shipped a 1 lb box to England for just over $11. UPS wanted $65.

3. desederada

desederada New Member

I just shipped a bridle and fairly large book to IL for around 6 dollars that was parcel post would have cost me around 9 for Priority. Now if I would have shipped them separate the bridle going parcel post and the book media mail I could have done it cheaper but I couldn't find another box at the time.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

Parcel is still an option. Shipping rates did go up again too. It's not the PO's job to advise you how to ship though. All she had to do when the PO asked her "priority?" was say no. They cannot force you to ship it that way. Did it come in a Priority box? If she just walked into the PO with the books and said she needed a box then there would not be an option, they only have Priority boxes, that would be the only way they would "force" you to ship that way.

Here's a list of rates:

http://www.usps.com/prices/welcome.htm

5. susiebk

susiebk New Member

I ship books almost every day, and "media mail" rate for printed matter ONLY is about 2.50 for 1-3 books including delivery confirmation....

6. snaffle

snaffle Guest

THis young girl..
    put two paperback books by Cesar Millan in a brown bubble envelope..
    and walked into the post office.

It should have cost her less than $3 .. but ended up costing her close to $9 :eek:

She now has had an education.. that she can ask what her options are.