Best Meat Chicken?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by AKPonygirl, Mar 3, 2009.

1. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

It will still be a bit before anyone will ship chicks to me.. but.. I need to decide what to get.. I have had Australops in the past.. but hubby wants to try a meatier bird.. they have to be a quick grower as my season is only about 3 months ish.. I am gonna get about 20 chicks and eat about half and let the other half give me eggs and to replenish the herd.. LOL Opinions?

2. Sarah315

Sarah315 Active Member

3. desederada

desederada New Member

These are the best ones I ever grew out for eating. They grow super fast, you have to make sure to feed them right and add the vitamins that they recommend. Sometimes they grow so fast they can't support their body on their legs. I'm sure they WON'T work for good egg layers though. I would say for layers since they have to winter well you may want to go with a feather legged breed. I would consult the hatchery you would order from and see what they recommend for AK. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/jumbo_cornish_x_rocks.html

4. RickB.

RickB. New Member

" If you want to raise capons, buy males and have them caponized at 2 or 3 weeks of age."

I've heard neutering called many things, but this was a first for me. :)

5. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Jersey (or White/Black) Giants are supposed to be a good eating bird that lays halfway decent, but they eat a lot and take a long time to mature. They're supposed to be easy going as well. Of the layers, I think the Buff Orpingtons are supposed to be good for eating.

The CornishxRock cross is THE eating bird though (unless you can go to France and smuggle out some of those fancy blue footed ones all the epicures are howling about).

6. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I was eyeballing the Cornish X ones.. but was told that if I bred a Cornish X to a Cornish X then the chicks would revert back to what the Parents were crossed with.. so breeding them wouldn't work out so well... I am still leaning toward the Black Australops or the Orpingtons.