Boots

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Buffy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Buffy

Buffy New Member

So I've got this money burning a hole...

I think I've decided on the SMB Elite boots. The 4 pack that are fitted specifically for the front / back. Does anyone else use these? Pros / cons? Do you prefer the universal front / back?

What size do you use for what horse? I'm guessing an Arab would use the small. So maybe I should get the medium??? (smallish quarter horse) Do they run big?

TIA

2. lori

lori New Member

Medium fits all of our QHs... 16.0 with pretty good bone (Punky) and Vinnie (~15.2 1/2, big bone too) on down. They have also been on racier (slightly less bone) 15.0 1/2 and ~14.0-14.2 2-yr-old thru 3-yr-olds. I like the SMB Elites. They are easier to get in the exact right spot than SMB IIs, don't interfere w/bells, and they have held up very well... 2 yrs going on 3 yrs, which is VERY LONG for us. In the SMB IIs its 100s for the front and 200s for the back. I had something before that were pretty decent and held up but I don't recall the brand, don't know where it came from, and have never seen them again.

Discounthorse.com usually has the Elites for very cheap. <--OH! leave a review and they'll give you a coupon code for like 5% or $5 off or something, too!

3. Shadow

Shadow New Member

just a suggestion: put your money in the bank and forget it... ;D please don't throw anything at me :nana:

4. lori

lori New Member

Beats throwing $ at the vet for shockwave to deal with a tendon injury! :D

5. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Actually, because my tax return was double this year than it was last year, all the "double" has already been put in a high yield savings account! ;D I'm going to let it sit for a year and see what I get off it.

But I had already set aside money specifically for my horse, knowing that I was going to need to get some boots for him this year ;)

6. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Ditto, see if you can grap some at a sale and see if you like to use them. I found they are kinda hot for everyday trail riding, go through water they get wet and stay wet.

7. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Thanks. I'll have to remember they're probably not best for trails ;)

I'm thinking they'll come in handy for the road riding we do. Plus I want to throw him on barrels this summer!

Lori, awesome suggestion for a website. The price is only $5 more than the cheapest I've found so far, BUT you get to pick a free pair of bell boots with your order!!! I'm SO easily excitable ;D

NOW I just need to figure out what color bell boots would go well with the turquoise splint boots! :D

8. desederada

desederada New Member

I think they run big. My monster has the 200's for his back legs. I don't like them on my horse because they are too thick, he hooks them together and spins them around or just plain stumbles. For him a thin boot with some hard plastic are better. I guess it depends on your horse and what type of event you are using them for.

9. lori

lori New Member

Are you kidding me? Is he really base narrow or something? He might be spinning them around because they don't fit right. Ours can spin (sort of slow--they aren't actually reiners) in them, they get a little sticky sidepassing for a lazy horse but I haven't seen a horse stumble over boots yet! Even had a really bad interfering horse who would put knicks in them--but again, thank goodness for the boots and not her legs. I would have put plastic on her if I'd kept her.

10. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I went ahead and ordered the specific fit ones. Don't want to chance what Des was talking about.

Then picked out the black bell boots to match! ;)

11. desederada

desederada New Member

He does it cantering in a circle. Definately not base narrow ;)

12. Jamik

Jamik New Member

I'm too late here, as usual, but I will say I'm disappointed with how my elites are holding up.. or not holding up would be the better term. Now I am using them on my reiner and they are used 5 days a week, but they are slap wore out in just a few months.

I have some Classic Equine ones coming Monday and we will see if they hold up better. The Classic Equines have a kevler (or similar) covering at the back of the fetlock joint area, where the boots take all the abuse from spinning. We shall see if they are better. I sure hope they are.

13. PT

PT New Member

I got my Classic Equine Legacy off of Ebay, brand new set of four for $98.

I'm really happy with them so far. They have a raised part that runs down the tendon and holds them in place, plus they're designed to keep the leg cooler underneath. They're also a lot thinner than my SMB II's. They seem to run a bit big though. My mare is 15.1 with a finer bone and the mediums are barely fitting her, whereas the medium SMB II's fit her like a glove.

14. whynot

whynot New Member

We've used SMB II's in past, and had hard problem with one guy in them fitting right(they were sized for him). We also felt they got warmer with extended use than the Classic Equines we use now and for the past 5 years. As with any sport boots,they are not recommended for extended wear(so I'm not sure if I would use them for a really long trail ride). As for bell boots, we have used Professional Choice and Classic Equine with the winner going to Classic Equine. They wear better(our guy above tends to over reach sometimes) and construction seems better(especially with the stitching). As with anything else, everyone has personal choices and what has worked for them.

15. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Jami -- if you want them, I think we've stil got some SMBs lying about here someplace. You can have them if you'd like.
    I've used them, and decided that I really don't care for them much -- they get the horse's legs way too hot. Jessica used them on Zippy quite a bit (Adrienne and I used Bar-Fs, Woofs, and polos on our horses) to provide her with protection and support, but we've since switched to a Saratoga style wrap for her with padding underneath. Her legs aren't getting as hot, and we like this arrangement much better. Overall, I could see where the SMBs are easier and safer to use than a Saratoga, but I'd rather take the extra time with the Saratogas.