Boots.

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by equusteacher, Jan 8, 2009.

1. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

English boots.
    What are your favorite (non custom) boot brands?
    Looking for a decent quality of the rack boot that won't break the bank!

2. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I like Petrie's, my old favs were Effinghams (which I liked even more) but the company went out of business. For everyday type boots on a budget I'm liking my Mountain Horse, not the prettiest things in the world but seem to hold up pretty well.

Oh, and Ariats suck. word.

3. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Should have clarified.
    English tall boots for basic low level showing.

I have a pair of Effinghams Dress boots that still fit and look fantastic!
    I'd buy a pair of fields ina heart beat. Great boot at a great price. It blows the Co. went belly up.

I have a pair of Ariat paddocks that I"ve had for years and LOVE.
    What don't you like about them?

4. JenR

Ariats seem to fall apart at the drop of a hat.

They're definitely prettier than the MH, but not as sturdy in my experience.

5. Roherynn

Roherynn New Member

Do not like the leather Ariats....way too stiff for me. I do, however, like their paddock boots and winter boots.

The only pair of tall boots that I have ever owned cost me over $300 (loove them!). Made in Brazil and soft as butter.

Would buying used be an option?

6. JenR

Even the Ariat paddocks haven't held up for me -- first pair blew a gasket after only 6 months; I got a pair of Terrain lacers on sale, so far so good, haven't used much but already starting to go.

7. pinp

pinp New Member

My mom bought me a pair of Saxon Equi-leather field boots for Christmas. They weren't exactly what I wanted buuuuuut so far, they're pretty nice. We'll see how well they hold up to my abuse.

8. desederada

desederada New Member

I have had a pair of Elan boots that are probrably 14 years old now. I only wear them for show but back when I purchased them they were the only boots I could find with a slim enough calf and they were under 300 on sale at Saddler's Row. I can't complain they still look like new. I think I remember seeing a few years back that they stopped making them. I have occasionally seen them on Ebay. Never owned Ariat tall boots only their paddocks
    I've heard good things about The Mountain Horse boots they are also under 300.

9. JenR

I haven't seen Elans up for sale anywhere in a long time -- maybe on Ebay.

If looks are important and they're only going to be used for show, then I'd say go with the Ariats and baby them. If you're doing any heavy duty and durability is a factor and looks not so much, then check out the Mountain Horse. I had to get new zippers in mine, and they need new ones again -- but they got used almost every day, sometimes more than once since my kids would swipe them (and those devils are hard on boots) and all I've had to do is replace the zippers. The boots were everyday ride, muck stalls, wash horses, feed horses, go to Wal-Mart after doing all that and get odd looks boots; they've lasted 6 years now.

10. desederada

desederada New Member

You do all that in tall boots ???

11. JenR

I don't usually, but my kids do. They're tough on boots. Adrienne has a pair of something or others that a friend of mine gave her, and then a pair of Effinghams for show (they don't get treated with disdain). I got the MHs for Jessica back when she rode dressage and just inherited them when she went western; they aren't as purty as my Petrie's but a damn sight more comfy (the Petries just sit now :()

12. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

I love my Ariat Heritage Tall boots without zips.

They took a while to break in, but I've had them for 3 years. Worn exclusively for showing the first two years, then worn every day the last six months....alllll day long. Still look great, look brand new when cleaned up, foot is very comfy.

And I got them for $150 off of Stateline.