Breed Guesses?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by syndiego, Jan 20, 2009.

1. syndiego

syndiego New Member

2. lori

lori New Member

Black mouth cur

3. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Dude, that's totally her!!! I never heard of that breed.

4. lori

lori New Member

I know--weird isn't it? Ages ago, I had 2 pups in from a shelter that I also swore were Black Mouthed Curs. Go figure.

She is a beautifully muscled thing--a little bit stronger topline and in that photo she almost looks like a conformation show dog with that conditioning and bone size...?

5. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Are they unusual to find around here? She's really a beautiful dog, with manners and personality to match. Yesterday, during the day (my sister's family is foster her), she escaped out of her crate, by peeling the top of it like a sardine can. Just laying on the hall rug when they got home. So funny, because she's a perfect lady when crated...no whining or barking. She's let's you know when she needs to go out, and is good with the house cat (licks him clean) and a 2.5 year old toddler

6. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

FREAKING CUTE!!!!!!

Look at that face!!!! *!*!*!* ^.^.^

How big is she? Could she possibly have Bullmastiff in her? Hhe looks "huskular"...........

7. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Really freaking cute!! I love the way she stands - regal looking!

8. lori

lori New Member

I think they are unusual... they are supposedly good hunting dogs for all sizes of game... I figured the area where my pups was from was rural enough that a good hunting dog was probably appreciated and they may very well have had some actual black mouthed cur in them. The other possibility is the stars aligning and a mix turning out to look like an existing breed.

Maybe you could email pics to some breed club person and see what they thought. It might help her get placed.

9. Angien

Angien New Member

Anyone have some balls they would like to lend me?
    I would LOVE To bring her home. But I have a hubby who says no.
    I know after a week or two he would get used to it...

10. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Definitely Lab and I think Tbitt's Bullmastiff guess is a good one....So I'll say Lab/Bullmastiff.

11. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Ohhh I want !!!!! Can I Can I Can I !!!!!!!!Pwwwwweeeeeeaaaseeeeee

12. Susan

Susan New Member

Oh my - beautiful dog. I wonder if she would make a good buddy for my older lab. I see boxer/lab but when black mouth curr was mentioned, I do see that too. Lovely dog. I'm sure she is too far away to check out for me.

13. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Bullmastiff/lab - good possibility, too. I am going to see if I can find a breed club for Blackmouth Curs to have a look. Lori, as far as the stars aligning and making a mutt look like a real breed, I had a Rottie-Shepherd mix that we "knew" the parents; and he was mistaken over and over again as a Black and Tan Coonhound, so I know what you're talking about.

As far as size, she's about 45-50 lbs, and 18-20" tall. Huskular :D

Here's a photo with my toddler niece. She looks a little round in the abdomen (Biscuit, although my niece does too ;) ) so we worry about her being preggers, but the 1st or 2nd day in the home, she had a shit-storm-to-end-all-shit-storms, and afterwords had a waist. She's scheduled for spay next week, so let's hope there's no puppies in there.

[​IMG]

She is available for adoption :)   She gets along with kids,cats, other dogs. Probably would do best in a fenced yard, or someone committed to on-leash only (at least initially)   [ETA] She's in Crete, IL

14. burgie

burgie New Member

Her face reminds me quite a bit of my pit mix (mixed with what, we have no idea).

[​IMG]

15. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

I see no pit in her, but I do see mastiff and boxer

16. Shell

Shell New Member

I see what Mass said or Boxer and Lab

17. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Lab definitely, and then Boxer (most likely, they're more numerous I think) or Mastiff (the coat looks more Mastiff), or maybe both. Could be Pit, but Pits usually have really fine coats and a cross with a Lab would have a finer coat than this I should think. Or...Lab x Anatolian Shepherd.

18. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Hey Angie, let him know that we have (what we think is) a Mountain Cur in Moose. He is the best dog with the baby. He checks her every time he comes in and lays on your feet when you are holding her to make sure you don't move w/out him knowing it! He lays next her crib when she's in there. Go for it !

19. syndiego

syndiego New Member

If the kids has been the issue with your hubby, Biscuit would be perfect. Mia, the toddler, has literally held icecream up to her face, and she's just backed away. I've not seen her act a bit cross with anyone, and she clings to anyone that's willing to pet her.

20. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Yes, that the face. I just love the black points and the boxey head. She has the same head crinkle as my Rottie.