Breezie

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Michele, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Michele

Michele New Member

We had to put our black Morgan mare down the other night. :'( :'(

At the beginning of January Breezie hurt herself while out in pasture. We know she broke a bone in her right front leg, and also possibly breaking one or both of her chest bones. We think she may have gone spread eagle out on the ice.

She was to be on stall rest for at least 4 months.

The other night she spooked in her stall and reinjured herself. This time it was much worse, she had displaced the bone in her leg. She was shaking she was in so much pain. She just stood in the corner of the stall with her front leg held out in front of her and her head up trying to unweight the leg. She wouldn't eat or move. Bute was given and she was at laest a little more comfortable.

It was a tough decision but it wasn't fair to Breezie to make her endure the pain and torture of being in a stall for who kows how many more months. Breezie loved being a pastue horse, she hated being in a stall. As sad as she was in that stall that night, when they walked her out into the aisleway and opened the barn door to the outside, her ears went up because she was going home to the pasture.

We were so fortunate to have had Breezie in our family for 6 years. She helped my daughter through those difficult high schhol years. She was one of those honest horses, she would go up any hill, down any trail, through any creek. Nothing bothered her. She was used as a security horse before we bought her. MY daughter used her in Pony club, and just this last summer she found a new little girl that loved her so much she had just started showing her and was doing really well with her. Many tears have been shed over Breezie the last few days, Breezie will be missed.

2. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    RIP Breezie.

3. syndiego

syndiego New Member

I'm so sorry, Michele. She was so lucky to have such caring owners. You did the best thing.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

Very sorry for your loss :'(

5. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

:'( :'( :'(

I am so sorry.

You did the right thing, she is no longer in pain and now running through greener pastures young again. God Speed Breezie :'(

Prayers

6. Susan

Susan New Member

Huge hugs to you and your family. It's never easy.

7. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Oh, Michele I'm saddened to hear this.

I know you were upset with the first injury........... :'(

God Speed Breezie.......... :'(

8. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

So very sorry for your loss. Breezie is running again and heading down the trail.

RIP Breezie. :'(

9. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

OMG I'm so sorry, she was such a sweetie. :(

10. Shell

Shell New Member

Awe Michele...I'm so sorry for the loss of Breezie. :'(
    The part about going out to the pasture gave me tears.