Breyer horses?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by HALL FARMS, Jan 15, 2009.

1. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

How do you find the cost value on old Breyer horses?  Most of these I purchased new around 1979-1985. 

Someone offered hubby $40 dollars for my Breyer unicorn....Hubby happened to overhear a conversation at work about Breyers and mentioned that I had some.  Hubby knew he did not need a pissed off wife so he told them he could not sell it....Smart hubby. 

I have had these Breyers over 20 plus years....started buying them when I was in the 6th grade.  The little andalusian family was my first Breyer purchase.  I don't have a huge collection by any means but as a horse crazy kid I saved my allowance and bought all of them myself.....minus the four off to the left-they were hand-me-downs from my cousin. 

Now I am curious if they have any value...

[​IMG]

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

Well....it depends on a lot of stuff. I've been collecting, buying, selling them for several years. I might even have one or two around the house :-[

There are a lot of factors that come into play. Box, no box. Scratches, scrapes, rubs, yellowed, chips pretty much deplete the value of even your most expensive Breyers. All of these things will deplete the value from 10-70%. Anything with a break or bad seam is worth $1-$10 and that's to someone who does remakes.

Age actually doesn't factor a lot either. A lot of the old Breyers, well they made so many of certain runs that some will bring more at a rummage sale to a little girl with big eyes than they are actually worth. I have several of the early 50's ones when they came out that are worth $5-6 bucks.

If you have the model numbers feel free to IM them to me and I can price them out for you rather quickly. I can also do it by side shot but it'll take some time. You can find some on the net, however collectors selling, the prices are inflated over what they are actually worth. I always keep the latest Breyer guide on hand :)

On the Andalusian family (no rubs and such) Mare $11, Stallion $11, foal $6. Your rearing stallion on the right is the most valuable in the picture I believe from what I can see. I can't give a hard value on it without a side shot (mainly for coloring) which coloring on that run goes from $30-$398 and I estimate yours at $60 if it's the one I believe it is. But could be as much as $90 if I saw his side and tootsies :)

Now go find the guy who wanted to give you $40 for the Unicorn if you want to sell ;D They are worth $31 and that's in tip top, un played with condition :)

3. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Hey BUC, would you do one for me (perty please) I have several famous Arabians. The one I wonder about is Khemosabi, the stallion. In the box. The weeks after he died, I saw them on eBay going as high as $100, but I'm sure that settled down. Just curious.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

$24. And in the next collectors guide it will probably be the same because they are valued at mainly run size and color, not status....BUT as a collector selling, those are the times (excuse the bad wording on a death) to take advantage.

Surprisingly, the boxes (unless they are the real old ones) are worth no extra to collectors. I've collected for years, held onto boxes, and didn't realize this until about 5 years ago. When we moved 2 1/2 years ago you could see the bonfire for a hundred miles :) For the most part I've always kept mine out or wrapped and packed with several in one box in storage and until recently held onto the box too.

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

One place I always check for prices is the 'completed' auctions on ebay.

Often gives me a good idea. :)

6. Jamik

Jamik New Member

Aww man. I wish I had my old Breyers. Not to sell, just to have around again. :-

7. BUC

BUC Administrator

The eBay prices are very misleading to actual value. On eBay they are worth any amount it takes to get it into the buyers collection. The actual value may only be $10 but if you don't have it and want to add it, it may be worth $50 to you. But in reality, for insurance purposes or resale later down the line, it's still only worth 10 bucks.

8. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

Thanks Buc.

Most likely I will keep them and display them in my house somewhere. They hold good memories to me.

9. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

all of my boxes will be hitting the bonfire this spring - I think I have nearly a thousand of them stored in the garage!

10. syndiego

syndiego New Member

I only have 5, so hardly bonfire fuel. They're on display, so much easier to dust in the box. Dusting....something I do every 2 months!

11. KS QUARTERS

KS QUARTERS New Member

Buc, not even the special run boxes or limited edition are worth keeping? Because if they can go to I'll have alot more room and a big bon fire also. I have also collected since 6th grade and still do, I have finally got my office done so I can display them Kim

12. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I had several hundred Breyer horses.. I just recently gave the bulk of them to my horse crazy niece. They had good memories for me.. and will continue to give good memories to my niece.. I did keep a few and in the future, I will have more again:)

13. BUC

BUC Administrator

It really depends. Yeah, I now, that was a lot of help! But that's mainly because there is always a collector looking for something. That one special run with the video...the one run that they put in a special box....but then again it boils back down to a collector paying as much as it's worth to their collection, not really the value of the Breyer itself.

14. cherokee

cherokee New Member

Buc isn't it that if the ones in the stands lean it depreciates the value?

I have Hobo and have always had him out of the stand laying on his side
    I also have the original breyer jumping over the stone fence and have
    that one off the fence laying on it's side. Both are in mint condition.
    I believe the one going over the fence was one of the first ones made. It has
    been in my family for a very long time given to me by my mom's great uncle whom passed
    away in the early 70's. I know that they remade it for an anniversy awhile back
    and they also recolored it shortly after they came out with the original.
    Any Idea's

15. BUC

BUC Administrator

Hobo came in 7 colors. If you have the early version (1975) that came in a gift set with a book and carrying case the value is $40, otherwise, besides a raffle edition and a 2001 release with a saddle, they are valued at $19.

The Jumping Horse was first introduced in 65, which there was just one color and not another release until 83 for Sears. The 65 model is valued at $27. Then they made several more in the late 90's and early 20's where some of the values went completely nuts.

Af far as leaning, Breyer works on a 5 pt. scale and everything decreases value a bit. But if you have a mint and it has a slight lean you're only looking at like a 10% decrease.

My problem with the jumpers...I have several of them but only a few fences :D People seem to "misplace" those for some reason, LOL.

And this isn't directed at you Cherokee, but anyone wondering about selling....

Just because they are valued at XXX doesn't mean they will necessarily bring that. Collectors for the most part are looking to add for less, but then you have the occasions like I talked about earlier where a $10 valued one might bring $50 because it's worth it to you to add to your collection. Best way to explain it....it's some crazy sheeet ;D

16. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

There are also certain molds that will always bring more than others. I have noticed reccently that Big Ben's are VERY popular, so is the Cigar mold, the original Five Gaiter, and some of the newer models such as Huckleberry Bey and Keltic Salerno. The ones that never seem to have any value are the Family Arabians, Stock Horse Stallion, Stud Spider, and Khemosabi (due to terrible conformation on the mold).

and the list just goes on and on and on..... :laugh:

17. syndiego

syndiego New Member

I have Huckleberry Bey :) along with Khemo, Copper, The Bloody Shoulder Arabian, and Carinosa

18. cherokee

cherokee New Member

The only one I want that I don't have is Comanche. I have a lot of breyers packed away.

19. pinp

pinp New Member

Last Breyer I bought was the black percheron mare... I can't remember who I have anymore. They're in a box looking for a way to display them.

20. BUC

BUC Administrator

Stick them in every nook and cranny of your house :) At least that's the way it flies here, LOL.