BUC's Shit Is Contagious!

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by WindyKnollFarm, Jan 17, 2009.

1. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

Seriously, almost ;) ....I read BUC's post about all the bad mojo that she is experiencing...and now OUR water heater is going out!!! Thanks loads Buccie! ;) ;)

Okay... I believe that it is going out, in a serious way...but hubby, much like the propane issue, disagrees. Yesterday we were all scalded by super-heated water from the water heater. My shower was going along just fine until BAM a pocket of super-hot water blasted me. Even tho I turned the tap to all cold, it was still nearly burning hot! Had done the same to hubby earlier in the am.

Later in the day, son went to take a shower and NO hot water! Heater had tripped a breaker on the panel! <I'm guessing that this is a saftey back-up, huh?> :-

Now, I am concerned...we were leaving the house for the evening, and I didn't want the heater to catch fire, or worse. Hubby says that I am over-reacting and that the reason the water was sooo hot was <get this theory> because the basement (where the heater is located) was so cold from the air leaking in around the cellar door (I will give him that) and so the water heater had to run all day to keep the water hot, thus, making the water super-hot. ? ? ? Really? Really?

I hazard a guess that the thermostat is out in the heater, and that we either need a replacement thermostat or a replacement water heater.....or a replacement hubby.

Any opinions? Theories? I am afraid that hubby won't do anything until it is too late....which could be ugly in a 150+ year old house. :-

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

First of all ------> :p

Second, I think the hubby does need replacing or at least some repairs.

I don't see where the cool temps would cause a blast in temps :-

3. desederada

desederada New Member

Sounds like the heating element may be going out.

4. WindyKnollFarm

I think that it went out a while ago, and is on it's way to Florida or somewhere warmer..... ;)

5. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

The temp or drafts in the basement should have no effect on the water heater if the thermostat is working properly. I don't work at Home Depot, but that's what I think.

6. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I'm going down right now and hugging my water heater! *!*!*!*

7. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Sounds like its on its way out. Thats what mine did for a few weeks. Everytime it turned cold I had to push the reset button. Finally that didnt help anymore and we had to get a new one.

8. WindyKnollFarm

Yes- you are right Pixin- it IS the reset button that he is pushing. He kept calling it a breaker, until finally in Lowe's he said reset button to someone. He picked out a new one while we were there, but he is going to see what he can get thru work. <me hopes it's not a stalling technique> ;)

9. April

April New Member

The heater core went out of my truck. $725 and two days later a coil went out. Another $215 and my truck is back on the road. That $1000 was for new fence this spring. DAMN

10. snaffle

snaffle Guest

We replaced our 23 year old hot water heater a couple weeks ago. I had the feeling it was heating water hotter.. so I put a thermometer under the tap (in a cup) and turned on the water. I have done this over the years just to check it.. so when the temperature went higher than normal that scared me.

We have replaced the thermostats and heating elements many times over the past 23 years because we have a high lime content.

We turned off the breaker and went to Menards and picked up a new hot water heater and installed it that day.

Better to be safe than sorry.

11. WindyKnollFarm

Hubby is on his way to get a new water heater! Not sure if he will get it put in today...but it's a step in the right direction if he comes home with one!

I'm cleaning my closet today....anyone wanna help?!

12. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

Couple years ago we decided to replace the water heater to try to stay ahead of any problems and the darn new one nearly burnt the house down. So much for trying to stay ahead of things.

13. WindyKnollFarm

YEEHAW!! New water heater is in, hooked up, filled and warming up as I type!!

And I didn't even have to bitch.....much.... ;)

14. BUC

BUC Administrator

Hot water all around! :th_fluffbunny: That hot shower felt damn good last night!

15. Rexy78

Rexy78 New Member

My hot water heater is going out too. I have duel 40 gallon heaters. Where are the best deals ? I put the last one in myself. I got a price for on demand hot water, they wanted $ 3800 I had to pass.