Cavel / sheep and goats

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Angellou, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

Cavel's is being leased by a Muslim company for sheep and goat slaughter. Thoughts?

2. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

3. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

Good- it was a vacant site that is now being used. It is a new operation opening in IL paying IL taxes, etc. during this time of piss-poor economy. I give them a hearty pat on the back and wish them well.

4. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Good.

Last I heard..
    it was ok...
    to eat sheep and goatmeat ::)

5. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

It was a shame to waste that fairly new facility for all this time. Wonder if they'll sneak in some minis and pass them off as sheep. ;) Just kidding.

6. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thats great news! Nice building and good sized property

Wonder how long it is going take PETA to show up and complain?

7. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

I have no thoughts on it other than Halal slaughter isn't humane. Not stunning prior to incision, and it can take over two minutes for the blood pressure to drop enough for the animal to black out.

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

Hey as long as it isn't horses who gives a shit...right ??? :-X :th_fluffbunny:

9. onmy87

Well...I've always been against any slaughter that bled out while the animal was concious...i.e. Kosher and Halal, as well as the method used in Mexico. Horse or not, I don't think any animal deserves that.

:th_fluffbunny:

10. pinp

pinp New Member

eh. If it's done correctly, the animal really shouldn't even feel it being done though and should just black out before anything else is done to the animal. The instrument has to be really sharp [I keep a disposable scalpel on hand for emergency euthanasia with the goats]. I'm sure everyone here has cut themselves at least once without realizing they were cut.

I'd rather do it this way than captive bolt/bullet [you can't just shoot a goat between the eyes... not sure about sheep]. As long as the critters are treated humanely before and during the process, I'm not complaining.

11. onmy87

Operative statement "if it's done correctly" ;)

I was just reading about a study done regarding ballooning in over 60% of calves. I admit I can't find a similar study for ballooning in goats and sheep, tho.

12. pinp

pinp New Member

'if it's done correctly' also applies to the other more 'traditional' methods.

ScienceDirect

13. onmy87

I agree regarding "if done correctly"

The study I referred to was strictly Halal and Kosher methods. The Science Direct study is a mix. Is it possible the stun could skew results?

14. pinp

pinp New Member

Seriously doubt it but honestly, I don't know. ;D

15. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

And if we were all vegans someone would complain that pulling veggies out of the ground or ripping them off the plants would be cruel. How about eating an egg that came out of a chickens ass?

All animals are slaughtered and have been for thousands of years and I'm sure methods today are much more humane then in earlier days.

I've butchered chickens and they do indeed move without their heads once cut off
    I've also filleted fish while some of them were still breathing.

Cavels is a slaughter house and will remain one with any luck

16. Shell

Shell New Member

MTD...You are So Gross!!! Plucking and ripping body parts off plants! :th_fluffbunny: :laugh:

17. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

I'm guilty!! I chew on the ears of corn! And I eat BABY carrots whole every chance that I get! Dip their widdle bodies into ranch dressing, yum, nothing better! ;) :D

...but I won't stand in the way of anyone who wants to eat meat- who knows, maybe one day I will go back. ;D