Cesar Milan

Discussion in 'KiKi's & Poochies' started by lori, Jan 27, 2009.

1. lori

lori New Member

So what do you guys think of him? I've been watching his show lately, and I enjoy it watching him. My favorites are the very weird dogs (i.e. when one dog's owner sneezed or coughed, the dog went out the doggie door, up into the kid's treehouse, and walked on top of a fenceline to get out of the yard) but a lot of people with a tenuous grip on real life. I'd like to see either crazy dogs or mildly abnormal ones but it's getting kind of repetitive with the people who let their dogs walk all over them.

Because I dragged the treadmill out of my spare room and haven't moved it back to my parents basement yet, I went ahead and taught my dog how to use the treadmill.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz9vqxGZekY

Yes, we know she is a genius. And I am a huge freaking dork.

I took all 3 of my dogs on a walk late last night... I don't walk them a ton, they use my living room and/or the living room/kitchen circuit just fine for their exercise. I'm also kind of embarrased to walk around with 3 dogs on leashes--which is stupid, I love them all, but I have to admit, Cesar makes it look cool. My little dog--who is shy/scared but loves other dogs, seemed to really enjoy it, so I need to do it more for her.

2. Shadow

Shadow New Member

GOOD for you spending quality time with your pups...it is hard to do in this weather and with all the other activities we all have.
    I for one am NOT impressed with Cesar...the show gives you a false sense of what is really going on. I would bet my farm that ALOT of the stuff that goes on never makes it on the show..you have no real sense how long it takes for him to accomplish what he does. I for one was appauled
    at a show a couple weeks ago when he struck a dog...more of a slap...that shit don't cut it with me..alpha male/female or not..striking should NEVER be an option. And from what I have learned from my BFF ( pro dog trainer) that most folks in the dog world are also not overly Impressed with him..some very outspoken about it too. JMHO

3. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Where did this guy spring from all of a sudden ???

The first I heard of him was late last year, then Snaffle brought him up to me at MorganFan's party. And since then, 4 or 5 other people have mentioned his name! He must be on a channel I don't get. :-

4. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

He's been on the National Geographic channel for about 2 years now. Some of his stuff we tried on our GSP's, and it worked, but other stuff, as Shadow said, just doesn't work with most people, because, like "horse whisperers" :nana:some people just have a knack for working with certain animals. The show is fun to watch, cause you can see what some idiotic people let their dogs get away with, but I don't run around telling everyone about him. ;)

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I got the dvd's of his first season for Christmas and I love it!

It does seem that most of the dogs have owners who have spoiled them and not disciplined them.

I can not imagine anyone allowing a puppy to get by with biting..
    and then allowing it to grow up into a biting nasty dog.

Some of the dogs on the series.. I would have PTS.

Others I would have back handed if they bit me..

I have come to realize that when dogs have come here for boarding or grooming..
    I have been very often doing the right thing by NOT pampering and coo-ing over them. Many owners have told me how their dogs go home so calm...after staying here compared to other boarding or grooming facilities.

A few years ago.. I layed a nasty grooming dog down on my grooming table .. and held it down by the neck and shoulder until it stopped wanting to kill me.
    After seeing those shows.. I now realize that it was the correct thing to do.

I have heard there are some dogs that he couldnt rehabilitate..
    oh well.. it happens. ;)
    So what if there are things behind the scenes... that we dont see.
    That is life and it happens with many horse trainers too.

6. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

LOVE HIM! We watch him all the time. He gets to know people's problem dogs, figures out their issue which almost always is the people's fault, then explains to the people what they are doing wrong and trains the people.

We joke around and make his "CH" sound to each other.

7. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

8. April

April New Member

I watched him once. That was enough. He told a guy to swing his foot behind him and kick his dog when he saw other dogs. Your foot should never be used as a training tool. I have a dog that had the shit kicked out of her before I got her and she still has issues 3 years later.

9. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I think you need to watch that episode again.

He did not tell the guy to "kick" his dog. He showed him how to use his foot, behind his body and facing forward, to touch (tap) his dog to get his attention off the other dog and back to him and to keep moving forward.

It's the same principle as when trying to get a horse to move forward. sometimes you use the end of your lead rope or a training stick/whip on it's side to get's it's attention and tell it to move forward all the while you are at it's shoulder facing forward.

10. April

April New Member

11. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Got that the first time. No need to quote yourself. ::)

I agree that YOUR dog, who "had the shit kicked out of her" should probably not have this method used on her.
    But your claim that he was teaching a guy to "KICK" his dog is completely false.

12. April

April New Member

No it is not false. Just because the dog did not yelp or cry does not make it any less a kick. He hit the dog with his foot. Call it what you want I still see a kick.

Kick meaning to strike with the foot. Does not say how hard.

13. Shell

Shell New Member

Kick, tap, touch....come on ET, don't you know they all mean the samething as a Kick? ::)

14. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

15. April

April New Member

Roll your eyes all you want just because I don't agree with you. Kick your dog if you want. Mine will never see my foot unless I am rubbing them with it.

16. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Hmm...

well then I guess I better keep my mouth shut.. and not share..

what I did when...
    when a dog kept attacking the back of my leg when I was walking.

But I will say this:
    the dog never attacked my leg again!! 8)

17. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Funny, I always was taught to use my feet and legs to help a dog learn to properly place themselves for the heel and front, and to help teach them out and leave it. Now this did not involved taking a swing at them with my foot, but it did involve using my lower extremities to quickly and efficiently help place the dog where it needed to be.
    Never thought of it as kicking them (as by the dictionary's definition, that wasnt' what I was doing), and never saw it as a wrong thing to do. Now kicking a dog (actual kicking) I don't think is right, unless of course the bloody bastige is trying to get to you, and then, well, that's fair game. A friend of mine had a rather aggressive (and untrained, my friend the free spirited hippie who didn't believe in strong discipline for anything had no business with that dog) female Shepherd who used to try and jump up and bite you (sometimes she'd try to get behind and grab the base of your skull/top of your neck, which wasn't nice at all and made it so you couldn't turn you back on her), and I unashamedly kneed the crap out of her (and yelled at her too). My friend was a bit put out and confused; the dog was dumbstruck. And I got my point across -- Raven never did anything untoward to me again, and we became buddies -- my friend tried to give her to me later on (she was going to the pound because she was unmaneageble ::)).
    And if I'd been single, with no kids and no other animals I might have taken her.

18. jjones

jjones New Member

I love Ceasar Milan... He is REALLY good at rehabilitating dogs... He rehabilitates dogs and TRAINS people... I just love that... His little Shhsstttt is simply addictive and I use it now even on my kids....
    April he doesn't kick the dog it's just a tap... ;)
    He makes a lot of sense when it comes to where the behavior issues are coming from, mostly the owners...

19. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

I like him and want him to come see me for my heeler. She needs to stop her darn jumping and heel nipping at me and the horses. By the way Snaffle, I want to know what you did about the dog that attacked the back of your leg, I have a heeler that likes to go into "play" mode with me at times and I can't convince her this is not acceptable play. This breed is known for this, so she is difficult to break on this. Everything I seem to do to get her to stop makes her think we are playing all the more. I have kicked her and would kick her butt again IF I could react fast enough because this did get her to quit. I have tried shock collar too, it works when she wears it but she is smart enough to know when she isn't !

20. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

I really like him too. I love that he encourages people to become in tune with the energy they project. He uses a leg tap to "snap them out of it". He doesn't use that technique with every dog, his methods are tailored to whatever works best for the dog. Who saw that episode with the Visla who was terrified in the city? He looped the leash around the tail to hold it up, tricking the dog's brain into feeling more confident.