Clear dog urine

Discussion in 'KiKi's & Poochies' started by darkhorse, Jan 24, 2009.

1. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

Our little chiweenie dog, who is about 9 months old vomited once this morning and has been fine the rest of the day until a little while ago, she peed and it was clear.

I googled it and it talks about kidney failure, and all kinds of stuff. Anybody have any experience with this? She seems fine, but reading that has me freaked out. (Vet is closed. Emergency vet opens at 8.)

2. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

I would call VCA animal hospital in Aurora, expensive but excellent care. I think that they have around the clock care.

3. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

We went to the emergency clinic in Mokena by our house. They actually opened at 4. I didn't realize it. Anyway, she had a slight fever and peed clear urine again while we were there. They were able to get a sample and checked her out pretty well. She has a slight urinary tract infection but kidneys appear to be functioning well. They gave an antibiotic and said to keep an eye on her. She seems ok other than a little tired, so we'll see.

4. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I am so glad you took her in.

I thought this sounded bad and was afraid to post.

Good luck with the meds!

5. syndiego

syndiego New Member

What did they do to determine her kidneys are functioning? What kind of sample? Urine, CBC, blood?
    How did they determine that she has a UTI? What do you have from the urinalysiS? Did they see any protein in her urine?

I'd do a complete blood panel and urinalysis. A urine sample alone won't tell how well her kidneys are functioning. The main indicator for that is creatinine, (also BUN, Phophourous, Calcium levels)

6. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

They did a urinalysis and also looked at the concentration levels of the urine. No crystals or sign of infection, and the concentration level in her urine was where it should be.
    Took her to regular vet Monday, just for good measure, and they took some blood. Waiting to hear back on that.

7. syndiego

syndiego New Member

That part is really odd. Usually clear or very dilute urine means that it is not concentrating

That's good. I thought she had a UTI? How'd they determine that?

Sorry for the 20 questions; I've been dealing with this recently...Mumbo died of kidney failure last August, and now Millie has struvite crystals

8. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

I'm sorry, I should have said no crystals or sign of major infection. She had a slight uti.
    When she urinated at home, it was clear. When we got there (she is a big chicken,) she urinated again when the vet touched her, and the vet was able to collect a sample as it happened. (Vet was really fast in doing this, I was impressed!) Anyway, the sample had a lot more color to it and they were able to determine the concentration level was good. They did it with one of those strips that changes color when placed in liquid. Don't know what it's called...
    She seems fine now.

9. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Sounds good!

The thing they look at to measure urine concentration is "USG" (urine specific gravity). The low end of that is 1.02.
    The strip was probably checking the pH. Anything higher than 7 is too alkaline, and from what I am learning, is optimal breeding ground for bacteria.

My k9kidneydiet group recommends supplementing d-mannose w/ oreganol oil for UTIs. I'm going to be reading up on that tonight (can't get to the group files from work), for dosage, etc. My vet says that Millie doesn't have a UTI (even culture was negative), but everything I'm reading suggests that the majority of struvites are caused by infection. So, I'm going to do the supplement, as this shouldn't ruffles my vet's feathers. (we're in slight disagreement on treatment at this point)

Sorry for hi-jacking. Do a google on d-mannose, it's interesting.

10. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

I'll have to do some research. Even though both vets say all is well (pending the bloodwork,) I'm a little concerned. She's only about 10 months old and I want to make sure we do the right things for her. She did have what the vet called "the start of crystals" back in October, and they say there are no indications of it now, but I want to stay on top of it.
    Our other chiweenie had a bad allergic reaction to a shot a few weeks ago, and my lab developed a skin tag (I didn't know what this was till it happened,) that I was worried about last month. I'm telling you, at this rate it would've been cheaper if we had kids!

11. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Do you remember what kind of crystals they were? The k9kidneydiet group has a special home diet for dogs with Calcium Oxalate stones (crystals). With a dog as tiny as your, a home prepared diet may not be a big deal. Again, struvites are typically caused by infection.

12. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

You know, I don't. I will have to ask. I didn't know there were different types, and they didn't mention a type.