Cough

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by LuvMyArabs, Feb 1, 2009.

1. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

My mare has a cough with no other symptoms (No fever, no runny nose, she eating and drinking and pooping normal) she's just suddenly developed a cough. Its a dry sounding cough. It seems silly to call the vet out for a only a cough so I though I'd get her Cough Free and see if that helps. Has anyone used Cough Free with any success? I'm finding mixed reviews on it.

Or if anyone knows of something better than the Cough Free I'd appreciate the help

2. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Check your hay.
    Could be mold spores causing this type of cough.

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

Also on that note, you can mist your hay down a bit when you feed. If it's something as simple as dust this will help.

4. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Possibly the bedding if she is stalled...my gelding coughs when stalled..only when stalled.

5. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Well I went and bought the Cough Free and I'm going to start her on that I guess its better than nothing.

I'll check the hay for mold but I highly doubt that is the problem I cant in a million years see my BO's feeding moldy hay. They are REALLY Great when it comes to care so I don't think moldy hay would ever get past them.
    And Her coughing happens at random times so I don't think its dusty hay either :-

Someone on TOB mentioned Barn Cough and I'm hoping that is all it is. I'm going to start her on the Cough Free but I guess if any other symptoms pop up or if her coughing gets worse while on the Cough Free I'll end up giving the vet a call.

6. desederada

desederada New Member

Cough Free works good I use it on an old pony we have BUT as long as I keep his hay washed he doesn't need it. I'm betting it's your hay like the others said. It doesn't take much dust or mold to get one coughing. Could also be her grain what grain are you feeding? Straight oats will set this pony off coughing if I don't wash them too.

7. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

But if its the hay wouldn't she only be coughing at feeding time?

Shes fed Triple Crown Lite.

8. desederada

desederada New Member

Not necessarily she would cough with exercise. Does she usually cough a bit when you first start riding and then it's over? That's normally the hay.

9. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Nope its not just exercise related she'll cough when just standing in her stall doing nothing.

10. glf01

glf01 New Member

If cough free doesn't work get some Epic Daily it's a great product.

11. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Grayson has had that type of cough for years, though it is more "exercise induced". I have found, with him, it virtually disappears when I have him turned out 24/7. I blame general barn dust and allergens. Cough Free didn't help him much. Straw bedding cuts it down vs. shavings. It is worse when he is barned in the winter time (barns are more closed up then). Good Luck!

12. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I've had good success with Cough Free. It didn't stop the cough completely, but it did help considerably. I agree, it seemed to be caused by hay. This horse I had coughed every winter as soon as the hay started. He was fine all summer on pasture. Alfalfa hay made it worse than grass hay...I'm not sure why. I think the alfalfa hay tends to be more dusty.

13. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

The barn I work at, 2 horses ( same owner ) had a cough. We gave Cough Free for 2 days as directed.
    No more cough. I think ( JMO ) it's the weather, damp, cold, warm etc.
    The mare is NOT on Hay and she has NO shavings in her stall, just her mats.
    Good luck

14. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Sorry I should have updated this sooner :-[ The cough went away all by itself after about a week and a half or so. I did get her the Cough Free but she already was seeming a bit better so the BO didnt give it to her.