Curse words - what offends you?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Tbitt, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

So, Driving to work today I get behind one of those small hummers, going way under the speed limit.............

I proceeded to get a bit irritated at someone who drives a gas guzzler and then goes way under the speed limit to save gas (my theory and I'm sticking to it). So I start grumbling at them and decide I am going to start a post about these drivers!!!!!

Then I think "I can not/should not post that many F words...............because it might offend people..........."

This makes me wonder:

What words offend you and why?

I'll go first.

I am not easily offended; I have been through some "interesting" things in my life and have become immune to a lot.

What does offend me though is Words like: Jesus Christ and the words God and Damn put together......

Clearly I believe in both and that is why it offends me.

Not saying that I don't use them.........I try so so hard never to, but I find I have.........And every time I do, I die a little inside..... :'(

I used to silently apologize to God every time I used them..........but I found that I still slipped.

Now, I make myself apologize out loud to God when I use those ..........I think if I embarrass myself enough maybe I'll stop using them completely! ;)

2. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I don't get offended either.
    I have the mouth of a sailor and was raised around the same. :-
    My dad used to playfully call us his damn little shit heads. ::)

But I'm with Tbyatch. Using the Lord's name bothers me too. I have to yell at my dad when he does it, but I find myself doing it too sometimes.

3. twinkle

twinkle New Member

Using Jesus and God bothers me . Also the "c" word . :slapfight:

4. PT

PT New Member

Doesn't offend me, I just don't like it... twat. *shudders*

5. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

I'll go along with that. It's offensive to swear using God. That said - I'm pretty potty mouthed too.

However - the C-word is very offensive to me. Hate, hate, hate that word and never use it. I can still recall throwing a hissy fit many, many years ago when a guy I knew used that word. We were in a restaurant and I think I threw toast at him. :slapfight:

6. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

I agree with ya Tbitt. I try to replace J.C. with "Oh for Pete's sake"
    I use to hardly EVER swear because my son would go ballistic at me when I did.
    I have found that MWH has corrupted me the most :D, I not only can post the words but I find I am saying them a whole lot more ;D ;D

7. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

I will have to agree with everyone as well. Any form of taking the Lord's name in vain, irritates me. Also, abhor the "c" word. Especially when coming from another woman.

It's interesting how you don't really think about it, until the words that you thought were no big deal, start coming out of your teens mouths. Tanner called someone a "douche-bag", and before I knew what had happened,I reached over and popped him in the mouth. :eek: First time I've ever touched his face like that. He hardly ever curses, so I'm not sure if it was because he used the word, or I was so shocked that it came out of his mouth. :eek:

8. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

"C" word is the worst, and I just don't use the "JC" and "GD" and the like. And even though I'm no stranger to the "F" word, I use "Fudge" alot, especially at work.

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

Same here on the JC words. I try not to and do fairly well considering my sailor mouth. Nothing else offends me :)

I used to hate the C word....if that word offends you don't read any further because I'm going to drop a few ;D

I've gotten into these British comedies...I don't guess it matters in Britain if your a man or a woman to be called a cunt. If you do something bad, you're a cunt. If you do something funny, you're a cunt. Men sit around and argue who is the biggest cunt. It's fucking hysterical. It has completely lost all "dirty" meaning around here...and if you happen to get called a cunt at my house, you have just done/said something truly brilliant, LOL.

10. Tbitt

Ya, it is different when it comes from a "child's" mouth (and by child I mean ANYONE I watched grow up - no matter how old they are)

My son is in the marines and is in his 20's - I still scold him when he curses and I can hear it!!!! :eek:

I have been called "mother to all" by my children for longer than I can remember. I was just called it again on Sunday, when I slightly scolded my son's friend about lying to his mom!!!! :mad: :'(

11. Shadimac

Shadimac New Member

Ok this is going to sound horribly weird. I am extremely offended if somebody calls me a bitch. It will bother me all day, possibly all week. I don't know why, but I am. I would say it bothers me more than the c word, but that may be because I hardly ever hear anybody use the c word.

12. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

For the sake of everyones delicate sensibilities I'll abbreviate...
    Using JC, GD etc... doesn't bother me a bit.
    (one of my favorite expression to show annoyance/frustration is "Jesus, Mary and Bob!". It has earned me scathing comments from believers). ::)
    But then, I am a heathen.

I don't hate the "C" word, but it is, to me, someone who I really really abhor and has earned it if I use it.

Honestly, I'm not easily offended by foul language.
    Other things can offend me, but rarely bad language.
    Then again, I have a failry well developed potty mouth. :-

13. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

I'm with ET and des. Nothing really offends me as far as foul language.
    Taking the lord's name in vain doesn't bother me either. I do it constantly.

14. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Ditto!

15. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Those are mine, too! By my definition, anything outside of taking the Lord's name in vain, is just slang; the "c" word just because I hate it.

Interestingly, when I really need to vent with cursing, "GD"-it is what usually comes out, and feels the best. That and "mother-f'er"
    I don't say it often, though.

16. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Nothing offends me, nothing.

Including racial and ethnic slurs, all forms of swearing, and taking the Lord's name in vain.

What can offend me -- or more correctly, make me think the person uttering them is a stupid and/or ignorant _____ (insert whatever curse word or slur there) -- is context and tone of the utterance.

As George Carlin said: they're just words; it's up to the individual whether or not you want to give them any power.

17. morapt

morapt New Member

18. Tbitt

Aww hell ya!

I'm snagging a driver and the camera..........I'm gonna taking a tour..........

19. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I'm with the majority that have posted----- Those are the ones that bother me too
    Living with a truck driver makes life interesting, especially when his friends are around. Makes me think I'm down by the docks with a sailor