damnit.

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by pinp, Feb 14, 2009.

1. pinp

pinp New Member

Sooo Bella the Great Pyrenees had her puppies the other night. 12 ickle poopies. 1 was still born and she wanted nothing to do with the runt, so I took him inside and started bottle feeding him Belle's milk/colostrum. Poor little dude passed away this morning despite my best efforts. :'(

That said, Princess' little peas and Scarlet's kidlet are thriving.

2. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Sorry to hear about the two pups, but that's a big litter and it's not uncommon to lose a couple of pups in a litter.

Do not post pics (ok, post pics PLEASE) -- John and I adore Great Pyrs. I will be so tempted. I have got to get over my addiction to dogs and horses, or win the lottery (a big one) and live on a huge estate -- neither one has a snowball's chance of ever happening.

3. pinp

pinp New Member

I know... it's like my brain knew he wasn't going to make it but I was really pulling for him.

haha I have a couple with really nice badger markings... and if you want one, I can meet you halfway. ;D

4. JenR

I might trade you my loudmouth goat >:D

Evil thing; you are an evil thing.

5. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Oh..We must see pictures ASAP ;D

6. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

:th_agree: :th_ditto:

7. pinp

pinp New Member

One pup is a monster... already the size of a full grown guinea pig

piiiictures will come soon

8. JenR

Yes, please post pics...God I hate you; the badger marked ones are super duper adorable.

Maybe I can talk the mister in to letting me take a day trip to play with puppies and goaties (that will be a request worthy of videotape).

:D Just told the mister about your dog having pups, he remarked that was a huge litter; then I told him the breed. Now I am totally evil too (John really likes Great Pyrs). >:D

9. April

April New Member

WHAT you started a thread about new puppies and did not post pics.

Ban her now. Well after she posts pics.

10. pinp

pinp New Member

fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK.

I just lost another one and I have another sick pup. :'( Vet says Belle's milk is poison [can't remember what he called it but it's something to do with an infection in her uterus] so I get to bottle feed and Amber gets to mother and help them potty. It's not frakken fair.

11. Shell

Shell New Member

Oh Crap! I'm sorry for what your going through. I wish I could help.

12. Tbitt

Oh, this is sad news!!!!

I hope you caught it in time! Good Luck with the other pups.

Question/s:

Will her milk ever be good?

Is there meds to help - will she dry up?

Will you be bottle feeding them for the next 4 weeks? :eek: :'(

13. pinp

pinp New Member

I lost the sick pup. uuugh.

He said 2 weeks before they can handle her milk... BUT it's like she'll probably dry up or won't take them back... knowing my luck. The remaining pups are taking to the bottle fairly well... though Rolly Polly Man needs a bigger nipple. I'll probably be bottle feeding for the next two weeks... it won't be so bad when I can get a full night's sleep instead of being up every 2 hours.

14. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

Oh pinp, that's sooo sad! :'( Strength & {{{HUGS}}} to you and poor Bella...you'll get thru this!

15. JenR

Aww, I'm so sorry. Losing pups is a heartbreaker, and bottle feeding them makes for a frazzling affair. Did she have the uterine infection prior to whelping?

If you need any help with them though ;D

16. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

So sorry for the troubles! By the time you're done with the bottle feeding you'll be too attached to the pups to let them go. You'll end up with a barn full of giant dogs!

Hope all goes well from here on out. Hugs to you!!

17. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Sorry to hear about all of this. :'( We had 2 great pyr's but never had puppies. Please let us know if you need help with the pups ;) I think there are enough GP lovers on here to help get these pups off your hands. :th_Emoticon20200:
    I know that this is gonna sound stupid, but is there some type of breast pump for dogs? Just so you can store her milk up for when they are old enough to handle it, and to keep her from drying up. Not that I want to volunteer for THAT particular job, but just a thought.

18. pinp

pinp New Member

I'd assume you could use one of those pumps used on those nigerian dwarf goats...

lord noooo... I do not need 11 great pyrs lol

The vet says uterine infection... I'm wondering if it had something to do with the stillborn pup.

They seem good today... eating really well and Amber is taking good care of them...

19. Tbitt

So, 2 weeks, is it worth pumping her that long to keep her milk in.......so she can take it back over?

20. April

April New Member

So sorry to hear. I have raised way to many buy hand. I know how hard and time consuming it can be. Just last year I had 3 kittens to hand raise. I would take them with me shoeing or take them to moms so she could baby sit.