Dark "spot" on chestnut?

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by sterling, Mar 1, 2009.

1. sterling

sterling New Member

Dark "spot" on chestnut?

Hi all!

What's the dark spot you usually see on a chestnut horse? I was thinking some kind of birthmark? I have a liver chestnut - supposed to be going grey colt that has one of these marks on his right hip. Just wondering if anybody has seen this happen in a grey?

2. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Re: Dark "spot" on chestnut?

They can happen on any horse, but usually appear on chestnuts (which includes some greys, if they started out with a chestnut base color). They're called Bend Or spots; there are white spots, not linked to Appy or Paint patterns, as well, and those are called Birdcatcher spots. Named after two TBs, Bend Or and Birdcatcher respectively, who had them.

Jessica's mare is a liver chestnut, and she has both types.

3. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I have a Palomino who has them also...weird thing is some have disappeared and others have appeared in different areas of the body..( rump, back, sides)

4. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

That's what Zip's do -- they come in different spots and sizes every year (except for the Bend Or spots, those stay constant). We just call her a "stealth" Appy (she's a solid Paint).

5. StarryNight924

StarryNight924 New Member

I have a sorrel that has one on the left side of his barrel. It just showed up in the last couple of months. We've also been accumulating white spots, though his white markings are always changing. The edges don't stay the same for too long. It's kind of cool and it's not something I'd ever sell him for. He's just a special boy. ;D

6. kats

kats New Member

Our little palomino has one on her butt, its cute because she's light and it the dark golden color.

7. Terri

Terri New Member

My mare has a Bend Or spot on her right hip. My gelding (her son) has one in the same spot.