Dealing with the Clydesdale registry....wish me luck!

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by HALL FARMS, Feb 25, 2009.

1. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

I purchased the horse of my dreams this last summer. I have her original certificate of registration but the person I got her from is not the last listed owner on it (so her papers are not in order).

Before any one chimes in that 'you don't ride papers' I understand that and this mare will have a home with me for a long time to come. I just want her papers in my name. I want to be able to show her in the fair with the registered stock. I also would like to be able to register a foal, if I ever decide to breed her later on.

The last listed owner turned this mare (with her papers) and her four month old foal over to a vet back in 2004. It was stated to me that the last listed owner neglected the horses and rather than get turned over to the Dept. of Ag....the last listed owner gave the mare and foal to the vet.

The vet then in turn handed mare and foal over to the individual I got her from. The individual rehabbed her and the foal. Put tons of training on the mare and foal and decided that after 4 years, his other two draft horses were enough for him to handle so he put the mare and her filly into new homes.

I contacted the last listed owner on the papers and he told me he would sign the transfer paperwork to get this mare into my name (he was not happy that he did not get the horses back from the vet....it has been 4 years and he never tried to obtain them back in all that time). He told me he would sign the proper paperwork but was not going to be responsible for any fees that it cost to do the transfer.
    I sent all that he needed with self-addressed envelope to come back to me so I could send all the paperwork to the registry (I still have the original certificate of registration in my hands).....well the last listed owner has neglected to follow through with what he said he would do. He will not return any call I have made to him or acknowledge any letter sent to him.

I am in the process now of having to put this info to the registry committee......

-I am going to send a current certified letter to the last listed owner and see if I get any response back this time. That way I have more proof that I established communications to correct her papers on my own.
    -I am also in the process of obtaining the vet report of the mares condition from 2004 from the vet who obtained her.
    -I also know that the last listed owner is no longer established with the registry

Does anyone have any more suggestions on what I might need to send along with my paperwork to the committee.

Should I contact her breeder and gain any input from them.....this mares breeder is highly regarded in the registry and in good standing with them (learned this info from one of the ladies at the registry I talked to on the phone).

This issue won't be handled until the committee meets in Springfield, at the end of April, during the National Clydesdale sale. So wish me luck......

2. lori

lori New Member

I was in a similar situation with the AQHA. I sent a couple of letters to the last owner with no response, then I sent a letter to the AQHA which explained everything, had dates I sent stuff as well as everything they require for a duplicate certificate of registration. (5 pictures, etc.) AQHA tried to contact the last owner twice and then it went to their executive committee and they decided in my favor. I didn't get around to it but of course it would be good to have proof that you tried by sending certified letter and what not.

NOW... AQHA would want a transfer from last recorded owner to the vet, from the vet to person that trained her, and from the person that trained her to you. 3 transfer papers and a fee for each. I don't know if your registry is like that, but obviously you want to make this as easy as you can on yourself... nudge nudge...

3. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

yep, they have the same rules on the transfers and fees....that is why I want to try one more letter before I send in my stuff to the committee.