Define downstate

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by lori, Feb 2, 2009.

1. I-80

24.4%
  2. I-72

25.6%
  3. I-70

41.0%
  4. I-64

9.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I-80

24.4%
  7. I-72

25.6%
  8. I-70

41.0%
  9. I-64

9.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lori

lori New Member

Just curious--define what "downstate" is to you?

2. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I'd say anything south of I-70, but it could be anything south of 72 as well.

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

I call everything North of 80 "Chicago" :)

4. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Since I now live in Wisconsin, it's anything past Rockford in any direction. :)

5. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

By cities: Anything South of Litchfield
    By people: anyone that talks with a southern draw :)

6. lori

lori New Member

Ahem, BUC, there was a reason it was in manure pile.. I mean, if everyone else can keep it clean.

I just have some residual bitterness/annoyance from 4 years with clueless suburbs kids.

7. BUC

BUC Administrator

Well fuck, shit, piss.

Ok, now it's Manure Pile worthy :)

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

To me its anything south of Springfield-----------

I have no idea what highway that is

9. Joie

Joie New Member

I take "downstate" to mean anything other than Chicago according to the Chicago papers and Chicagoans (and suburbanites) in general. I've heard of Sterling, which is most definately NOT south of Chicago referred to as "downstate Sterling" several times. Geographically, we're pretty much due West of the city of Chicago, so why "down"state?? It's stupid.I also HATE when the suburbanites say they live in NW Illinois. No, *I* live in Northwest Illinois, they live in the Northwest SUBURBS.

10. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

I live IN Chicago, so I say anything south of I-80 is downstate.

But I do know the difference between the NW burbs and NW IL. >:D

11. Joie

Joie New Member

Well, good to know that some Chicagoans don't consider the entire state outside of the Chicago area to be "downstate". But if you google "downstate Sterling" you'll come up with a bunch of newspaper articles that refer to Sterling as "downsate Sterling".

To me, it just makes absolutely no sense. We are not even south of I-80...

12. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Ditto!

13. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Well, there is a difference I believe in "geographical downstate" and "socio-political downstate".

Socio-politically I consider all you frakkers north of Kankakee "Chicago" and all of us hardworkin', taxpayin', salt of the earth types south of Kankakee that are horridly burdened with that monstrosity known as the Chi Political Machine and pestered to death with Cheecahgo superiority complex to be downstate ;D

:th_flipoff:
    Let the :th_flamewar: begin!

14. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Champaign and Springfield are in the center line so anything below that.
    Note: I'm from West Central IL-Macomb area but went to school in Carbondale.

15. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

How long have you lived in Macomb? Is it your hometown?
    Just curious, as it is my old stopmin' grounds :)

16. Shell

Shell New Member

I know I80. But don't consider that anything but "South of Chicago".

I57 I consider downstate in Kankakee. But to Richton Pk and areas around there is South Suburbs From Chicago. Southern IL is Springfield and beyond.

Where is I70?

17. Ms Walkabout

Ms Walkabout New Member

I grew up about 15 miles southwest of the Loop ( is it still called that??) In my younger years we considered everything south to about Kankakee to be part of Chicago and the burb community. Anything south of there was considered downstate.
    I used to spend some of my high school summers in Foosland ( near Champaign) and of course spent a bit of time walking beans. When i got back home there were certainly lots of raised eyebrows when i told how i spent my summer vacation. :eek:
    Now that i live around Champaign i don't start to think that i am getting close to the downstate area of Illinois until i get a ways past the Effingham area--

18. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Which is *exactly* why I asked to define downstate in the training thread.

I hope this thread isn't a reflection of dissaproval in my comment. :-

19. lori

lori New Member

No, actually I was surprised at JenM's answer. :)

She is about 30 minutes south of me. To me, the line goes pretty much through my town (I-72) and that is that. JenM defined downstate as being maybe another 30 minutes south of her. I knew people from Chicago and the suburbs had their own goofy definition :D but I thought everyone else was in agreement with me. But they're not!

20. Michele

Michele New Member

I live in Chicago,(I hate it) and I think anything near Alton and St. Louis is down state. Shawnee is definately down state.