Did you hear about the deer slaughter?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by snaffle, Jan 15, 2009.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

In Waupaca (west of Green Bay), 5 deer were found mutilated - some weren't dead yet - and torchured by snowmobilers. They found one with broken legs, one with its stomach torn open...one was tied to a tree and left there...Oh, its sickening and horrible. There is now an award of over 10,000 for information on the cowards who did this. I hope they get caught and I hope they suffer. Its just awful. THEN...over 50 ducks were found run down and slaughtered by snowmobilers

2. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

That is completely disgusting.

I hate snowmobiles. I see the racing across a field while I'm driving down the road to the barn and I'm always afraid they're going to go right across the road in front of me.

3. desederada

desederada New Member

Were the snowmobilers the ones that found them or the ones that did the slaughtering?

4. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

"WAUPACA, Wis. (AP) -- A Waupaca County Sheriff's detective says the herding and killing of some deer by a group of snowmobiles may have occurred much earlier than first thought.

Capt. Don Conat said Tuesday that some snowmobilers are reporting that they saw an injured deer lying along the trail about five miles south of Waupaca about 9:30 p.m. on Friday.

A state Department of Natural Resources warden on Monday said investigators believed the carnage occurred between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. on Saturday. Some witnesses reported hearing snowmobiles in the area about 3:30 a.m.

Five deer died in what Conat calls a "thrill killing" of deer by running over them with snowmobiles.

Conat says snowmobile clubs have offered a combined $9,000 in rewards for information leading to arrests. Waupaca County Crime Stoppers has offered another $1,000. Also, the Fox Valley Humane Association is offering a $500 reward.

According to Conat, investigators are hoping snowmobile parts recovered in the area will yield fingerprints and identifying information about at least one of the sleds."

How horrible.

5. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

That makes my blood boil!

6. snaffle

snaffle Guest

WAUSAU, Wis. - A group of snowmobilers in central Wisconsin herded and killed four deer and severely injured a fifth in what a warden called a senseless act of cruelty on Monday.

No arrests have been made in the Saturday morning incident about five miles south of Waupaca, said Ted Dremel, a state Department of Natural Resources warden.

There's talk of closing all snowmobile trails in Waupaca County until the "rogue snowmobilers" are caught, he said.

"It is senseless. I don't know how else to describe it," Dremel said. "It is probably something they thought was fun or humorous at the time. They did purposely run over these deer. The tracks in the snow were in a circular manner, almost looking like they were chasing the deer back to other snowmobile partners."

Randy Yorkson, who farms the land, said people cannot believe what happened.

"I am going to guess it is somebody who left a bar. They probably had been using that trail before, knowing the deer were out there," he said. "This is just some yahoos who don't have any common sense."

Landowner Virginia Niemuth, 80, immediately shut off access to her property, closing five miles of the main snowmobile trail across Waupaca County.

"There's sick people out there," Niemuth said. "I used to love to snowmobile, but this is too much."

Dremel believes three or four snowmobiles were involved in a roundup of deer in a moonlit alfalfa field where 30 to 40 animals were known to feed. Witnesses reported hearing snowmobiles in the area about 3:30 a.m., he said.

Three deer were found dead in the field. A snowmobile stopped atop one and ripped open its stomach, Dremel said. A fourth deer with broken legs was euthanized.

The fifth deer was dragged from the field and tied to a tree about 25 feet from a road. Investigators think someone may have planned to return for that deer, Dremel said.

"It looked like the deer wrapped itself around the tree and choked itself to death," he said.

Dremel said he has never heard of this kind of "cowboy-style" attack on deer with snowmobiles.

"Usually, it is an accident - a deer standing in a trail and a snowmobiler can't avoid it," he said.

The dead deer included two bucks and three does. One was a fawn.

Investigators have no suspects. Some snowmobile clubs have offered $4,000 in rewards for information leading to arrests, Dremel said. Information can be phoned into the DNR's tip line at 1-800-TIP-WDNR.

"This is not characteristic of the snowmobile community in Wisconsin," DNR Chief Warden Randy Stark said in Madison. "Obviously, we are looking to get any public assistance we can in identifying who is responsible for this."

7. BUC

BUC Administrator

We slow down....we don't want to get killed either ;D Plus if you cross hard road at the speed of light it really makes you piss yourself from the traction change, not to mention incredibly hard on the sled.

Of course just like everything else in this world, you have your idiots.

8. JZ

JZ New Member

The reward, made up of donations, is over $15,000 now. Three men were arrested last night, and they're still looking for a fourth. There is supposed to be a press conference today, so more news should be available. The story makes me sick.

9. PT

PT New Member

Now that's awesome. It gives me a little faith back in humanity, also with the 80 year old blocking her property. I hope they close all the trails in the vicinity down!

10. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

You KNOW, that 80 yo lady closing a HUGE portion of that trail made many many snowmobile-ers MAD!!! And the rumor of more tails being shut down has to have the rest up in arms......... I'm guessing they gave up their Buddy's over this............ >:D

I bet they will want to strangle these guys!

Ya for her!

Those people need to get the book thrown at them!!!!

11. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

It disgusts me how cruel people are. Even though these bastards were caught, there will be others doing it too.

There were 22 deer at my place last night so they know they are safe....but I haven't been able to coax them into the barn for more safety yet. Just kidding!

As far as trails closing or what have you....there will always be trespassers.

12. desederada

desederada New Member

The community of snowmobilers are mostly very good people. These guys were obviously not your normal human being so please lets not bash all snowmobilers it's a form of recreation in the north that makes the long winters enjoyable. My parents and I along with a bunch of friends spent many winters in the Minocqua Wisc. area. We met all sorts of great people but there are assholes in every crowd.

13. syndiego

syndiego New Member

My aunt and uncle had a home in that area (Bear Lake, little town just south of Minocqua on 51) Fond childhood memories of going up there in the winter and snowmobiling. Water skiing and fishing in the summer were great, too.

Here's the part I don't understand, and probably never will, when I hear stories like this. What kind of mindset/mentality does it take in a human being to find "fun" in the torment of animals. I realize there are people that don't empathize with animals like I do, I get that. But the laughter and fun over suffering really disturbs me.

14. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Peer pressure, and whoever can do the nastiest thing to a poor defenseless animal.... Shock value....

15. BUC

BUC Administrator

No doubt. And I can see one mentally ill person being involved, but a group? WTF? I love ALL kinds of animals (right next to my mashed potatoes) and the thought to torment anything in a sadistic matter is something I cannot begin to comprehend either.

16. desederada

desederada New Member

I think we should be able to gut them, run over them and leave them to die. It's only fair

17. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

YEAH!!! Punishment should fit the crime!!!!!

18. BUC

BUC Administrator

I really do have some respect for our legal system....but on no brainers due to confession, caught in the act, undeniable proof....I feel an eye for an eye is more than fair. And would lessen our crime rates ;)

19. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I don't understand how you live with yourself after you do something like that.

I really hate to see any trails closed down due to this! Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Wisconsin trails shared by snowmobiles in the winter and and horses in the summer?

20. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Can we tie one, around the nect and tie him to a tree????? >:D

Maybe even chase them all around the field first.........heck I'd give them and advantage, I'll be on horseback............ >:D. We might have to put there out there in what God gave them................they'll need the running to keep themselves warm! :th_flipoff: