Disaster at a horse show

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Jamik, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

That was so scary!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone was ok??

2. Stateline

Stateline New Member

3. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

It's like a domino effect, each one started another wreck. They briefly got some freedom and got rid of some steam...and sure had stamina to keep cantering around.

Looks like a few people got hurt (stupid for standing in front of a fleeing horse), but most of the horses seemed fine except for the one at the end.

4. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Yikes!! I hate it when they don't tell you if the horse was okay!!

5. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

6. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Wow is right! What a mess. Some of those people were stupid.

7. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

I guess the one standing w/ cart still intact got first ? J/K Man, I bet those people were pissed, not only did their carts and harness get torn up, but I just wonder what their horses will be like the next time. I guess the medics were called for the guy that got ran over, and the lady who fell out of the cart face first.
    Gonna watch it again...........

8. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

Did you see the one guy close to the middle get ran over by the cart when the horse ran over the lady still sitting in the cart on the east end. That was scary.

9. Gruce

Gruce New Member

Okay, a couple of things cross my mind..... >:D

1. How do you place a class like that ;)

2. Do you think the white coats flapping in the wind added to the mahem?? :-

3. Did NO ONE have a peppermint wrapper or a bucket of grain?? Could have helped maybe!

Okay, that's it....now, for real, that did send shivers down my spine...very scary

10. Buffy

Buffy New Member

"the driver of the first horse had a lump on his hand and the horse had a small puncture wound from the shaft of the cart and Uncle Bob got run over but just dazed.... miraculously..no serious injuries "

Did you have any horses in the ring?
    "Yea...the one that origianlly took off and also the one he ran into and knocked down and then was running lose. The lady driving him was a handicap person and she had to be drug out of they way. It was all very scary. "

"None of the horses were hurt other than scraps and bruises. All the people were okay..the guy who was run over had open heart surgery a few months earlier but he was okay too. It is a good trianing video when people think driving is easier and safer than riding. We did a lot of praying during this 11 minute mishap...thank you Jesus. "

11. hobblehanger

hobblehanger New Member

As as horrible an scary as this was, there are so many things that can be learned from this.

The first being, the announcer telling everyone to be quiet is correct, but her yelling over the loud speaker is NOT helping matters any. If you have ever ridden in an arena like that, you know that everyting is tripled in sound.
    If you are ever in a situation like that, cart or no cart, the worst thing you can do is yell. It makes the horse scared just like you and he will just keep going faster and faster.

Ummmm, the thing in the middle of the arena, bad idea with carts in the arena. JMO
    Do those pleasure carts have quick hitches? Just wondering, cause if they don't that could of helped the cart "release" quicker.
    The second horse that got lose, he lost his blind bridle. They went to grab his lines, and there were none there.
    I am sure that if the carts were able to come off quicker, the horses may not of gotten so excited.
    Ok the guy at the end tried to rope the horse.....ummm ok.

I don't think that a peppermint wrapper or bucket of grain would of helped any. Those horses were going off adrenaline. Take it from experience when you have a horse lose like that, and with a cart on, they are not going to stop for some grain. ;)

They only thing that stops horses like that on the race track is the outrider, or then running themselves into something. I have seen horses run through fences and such with carts on. Its horrible, and scary, but it does happen.

I was jogging one that got away from me, and he was at a DEAD RUN. I started screaming hubbies name. When all was said and done, he yelled at me for yelling. Me yelling his name made the horse go faster.....once I did stop "yelling", he did slow down, and I did get him stopped before something stopped me. That being the barn and truck I was headed for. I figured I was going to either be dead, have a dead horse...thats how fucking fast we were going.

I do hope that everyone was ok.

12. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

That was the first thing that came to mind....is that women really talking over the loud speaker while these horses are freaking out??!?

That was definently scarey to watch.

13. middleageddebutante

middleageddebutante New Member

Glad nobody (horses or people) were hurt.

But I had to giggle when the second one started running off. Did anyone else notice the man on the right hand side of the screen put his hands on his hips like "oh fuck, not another one".

14. HossDriver

HossDriver New Member

The other major mistake they made was not clearing the arena ASAP. Everyone was sitting around in the center with their thumbs up their ass.

15. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

quote author=HossDriver link=topic=1706.msg38244#msg38244 date=1236008940]
    The other major mistake they made was not clearing the arena ASAP. Everyone was sitting around in the center with their thumbs up their ass.

[/quote]
    esp. the ones on the right side in lawn chairs.... the one on the end I am sure got a thumb or two up their ass lol

16. MelW

MelW New Member

well damn, honestly, i kinda laughed as people jumped in front of 900 lbs of pissed off pony...

17. BUC

BUC Administrator

Was that Rexy & Diamond Girl ???

;D

A few years ago I bought a racing cart at a sale, hitched up my broker than broke driving pony to it and we headed off to town. Pony (well, 15 hands of pure HYPP looking animal) got a horse fly and went to bucking. Yep, life flashed before my eyes. Said cart was sold next sale.

18. MelW

MelW New Member

my last acident was the result of bucking...landed straddling the shaft...a buckle shoved rather rudely into his sheath...i hate bucking in harness...

19. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

These show ponies are kept in stalls, fed high octane grain and hay, don't see the light of day, and possibly not had enough training and/or experience behind the cart. They had energy to burn and I'm sure they felt fantastic after breaking free and being able to run! That was the best part, seeing "FREEDOM!" on their faces...along with "YIKES, what's that noisy thing behind me and a human with a whip?"

The people who tried stopping them by standing in front of them, got what they deserved for their stupidity. A frightened horse can't be stopped like that. They should have gotten all the others out of there, everyone stand still (and not waving arms either - the moron!), and just kinda wait until the horse slowed down so something could grab a dragging rein.

I would like to know why that one at the end was down on the ground for so long...caught in the harness? It was sure huffing and puffing hard, poor scared thing.