Do over of: Need trainer! Trail horse~

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by MyTeDun, Jan 25, 2009.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

2 quarter horse geldings need training- Both have been under saddle a little

The first one I bought last summer, has been shown halter and SMS the other has lived here his entire life and is spoiled~

The trainer I'm looking for is someone who will ride them everywhere, do everything with them. They are going to live as trail horses, nothing else!

Nothing fancy required, no fancy facility is needed--- Western saddles, flank strap, breast collar.

stalls at night and bad weather.

I'm looking at probably 3 months for each, maybe more. The one I just bought has been out on trails so he shouldn't take alot of work

Within 100 miles of Leland~~~ Would like closer so I can ride but will work something out if farther.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Brad Hubbard in Oregon...how far is that?

He has an ad in the professional services right now.

3. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

There are plenty of trainers -- just depends upon how much you're able and willing to pay.

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thanks Twistedwire-----I'm still planning on talking to you about doing this

I am not going to spend a fortune on monthly fees. I've been looking and have found trainers that board/train for $400 a month all the way up (they are quite a distance from here but worth it).

No state of the art training involved, riding time and experience under saddle is the key.

Had someone all set but I made a surprise visit and found his training horses tied to the walls of his indoor.
    I mean heads tied short, no movement allowed and they were made to stand there for several horses at a time.
    I WILL NOT ALLOW SUCH TREATMENT

He was set to charge $500 per horse per month, 5 rides a week

The only way this is even possible is hubby will be getting a settlement from his work related injury-----
    These two have been standing around long enough.

5. JenR

Well, if saddle time is all you're wanting, you could have someone come over and pay by the ride I suppose. If both horses are trained and not green, then you might be able to get by with that. $500 a month per horse for training and full board isn't a bad deal -- down here boarding/training is pretty inexpensive compared to closer to Chicago, and you'd still be looking at over $600 for full board and 5 rides a week.

6. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

Steve Hammrick in Princeton, does trail horse training. (TrailPal- trail horse farm) www.trailpalhorses.com
    I have used him and highly recomend him!

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thanks Whoaboy, I just emailed him~

8. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Also there's Chumley on this board. She had that one-eyed Morgan. I believe she's just outside Rockford, but Morapt knows more than I! ;)

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thanks, I''ll check with her too

10. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

whoaboy,
    Just received a quick reply back from Steve, he is booked SOLID for 2009. He only takes in one horse at a time in order to give them full attention which really impressed me.
    Thank you for forwarding his info to me~

11. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

Aw, too bad on Steve, I think he is back to working a full time job again so he can only do the one horse at a time thing now, used to take a couple at a time! Maybe somebody will cancel!

12. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

The trainer I used is too far but my Moosa went two weekends to Shawnee in his 30days!!

Good luck I think a good trail trainer is just as hard if not harder to find then a any other trainer...

13. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

After hearing and doing research for this general area I'm extending the area.

WI, IA, MI and IN----I'll send them out and make the trip twice a month to ride if needed.

Its either spend the money or let two nice horses stand around doing nothing~

Shawnee in his first 30 days, I wish!!

14. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

research Missouri too.
    I have a friend that sends all her trail horses to a guy in Mo. He rides them all over and takes them camping while he has them and he's very reasonable from what I understand.
    I can try to get a name for you but she's out of the state for a bit. May be a while.

15. lori

lori New Member

I don't know if he'd be interested but you could contact... Darren [email protected] I don't know whether or not he'd be interested as that's not normally his thing, but he's injured and it would probably be appropriate for his injury to be doing that kind of work instead.

16. horsedreamin

horsedreamin Active Member

Wasn't there a guy in the northern suburbs that used to train police horses? Seems to me he also offered trail horses and/or training. Let me see what I can find.

17. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Found a trainer!!!!

Bit of a ride to take a lesson but he comes with referrals, heading up there this weekend to meet him

18. horsedreamin

horsedreamin Active Member

I FOUND IT! I'm soooooooo proud of myself! ;D

It's Mark Vollmer at Hidden Pond Stables in Capron/Harvard. (815) 943-4536

I found this in the old Midwest Stables Directory. I had to look and look, but I FOUND IT! lol

Here's the quote about the place:

Hidden Pond Stables is only a few years old and is a brand new Boarding Facility to the general public. We specialize in providing quality care to families looking to enjoy their horses. We feature: 12x12 Matted Stalls, All day-daily turnout, Indoor/Outdoor Arenas, 30 acres scenic trails onsite, Private Beginner Riding Lessons, Bombproofing Training for your horse, Pony Rides and Petting Zoo for the kids, Pasture Board, Boarder Cook Outs and Get-togethers and much more! We nurture beginner horse lovers from the ground up to make time spent at the barn most productive. Mark Vollmer (Owner/Operator) is retired from the Rosemont Mounted Unit where he spent 15 years riding, bombproofing and training horses and riders alike for use in the city. He also lives on site and is a reliable and educated horseman. We are adding a new addition to our barn! Coming August 2003, an additional 8 stalls and turnout paddocks will be available! Also on the plans, a second Indoor Arena! Come join our Family! Hidden Pond Stables - The Only Thing We Overlook Is The Pond

This was last updated in Feb. 2004, I believe, so I hope it's still there if you're interested. I know you said you had a trainer, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a choice.

19. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thank you for posting this guys ad. Sounds good but I truly don't think he would be able to do the training for the amount this guy is going to charge us.

20. JenR

I do have to say this:

sometimes it's better to pay more per month and go to a good trainer -- and maybe go for a less amount of time, because they know what they are doing, or at the very least you will get good training instead of bad that won't have to be undone down the road (which ends up costing more money).

Not saying that is your particular situation, but it's something which everyone should consider -- as in breeding, as in training, price should be the last and least consideration.