Does anyone shop here

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by glf01, Feb 2, 2009.

1. glf01

glf01 New Member

Stopped by Libertyville Saddle Shop just to see if it was still open and to see an old family friend that works there. Boy has that place gone to the Crapper. Nobody in there and my friend says sales are way down. They do have a pretty good garage sale section for blankets and they have racks and racks of used saddles for sale. I don't know how much longer they can last.

2. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

When I was a kid that was the place to go.

My Step-mom worked there part time also.

Rachel and I went there in Nov. and it was a kind of a drag.

It is nice to go there and see Sue...she has been there forever and a day and we talk about "the old days"...lol

3. glf01

glf01 New Member

Well her and hubby own it now

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I make one trip a year up there---have been doing that for years and years now.

My dad took me there for the first time in 1972 and bought me english boots, yeah me english. Back then I was taking english lessons--I'm just too lazy to post.

I still take a ride each spring--- always come home with stuff from the sales area and usually another book or two.

5. Shell

Shell New Member

I don't shop there. Been there a couple times to make sure it wasn't worth going to again. To expensive. And mostly for non western.

6. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Non western?

Last time I was there the larger part of the store---- as you enter go to the right was all western. Plus the supplements, blankets, sleezies are in the room behind the counter.
    Must have changed quite a bit because I would look for what seemed to be hours.

I like the store but haven't been there in a year, usually go in April or May with some income tax refund to blow

7. Shell

Shell New Member

It's been a few years since I've been there. Yep, entering the store, off to the right, closer to the wall though, started the western tack. I'm not talking western hats and clothes. They had very little western tack to choose from. A wall full of bits and a few multi saddle stands. Little to choose from for the rest of the tack you need. To me they specialize more for the English type of riding, gifts, and horse blankets.

8. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Never shopped there, been once many years ago -- wasn't godawful impressed, but at the time I was working for some of the competition over in IN.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

hummm not what I remember.

Guess they have changed, I'll check it out in a month or two

Would much rather go to Pards but that would be a longer drive

10. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Pard's isn't exactly impressive either -- way too pricey.

11. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I went last fall.
    It was about half western and half english witha small room dedicated to driving and racing equipment.
    Their health care area was teeny and useless.
    The garage sale (sale barn) area had tons of blankets and colers at decent prices but the rest is all pure crap. Most fo the tack in there was made in india of card board like leather.
    Even the used english saddles they had were over priced.

honestly it's not worth going there anymore.

12. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Someone PLEASE tell me what shop is worth going to.

I love roaming around a store once in awhile instead of a website all the time

????????

13. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

If window shopping, being able to smell the smells and touch the products of a saddle shop, then it is worth it. And if you are comming this far, go there, go to saddlers row and barrington saddlery etc....
    if you are seeking speciffic stuff, on line is much better.

14. lori

lori New Member

Depends on what you want to do... Pards has plenty of space, plenty of WP, reiner tack and saddles, and Western boots to look at. A smidgen of women's clothes and some more men's clothes. (Wait a minute. They DO have more men's clothes than women's, at least by floor spce--What is up with that??)

Prairieland Feeds in Savoy, IL - mostly necessities, small selection of clothes (Western, English, Carhart stuff). A few new saddles (like 8 maybe), lots of saddle English saddle pads, maybe 10-20 blankets, bats, etc. Feed and bedding, too. Nice dog/cat equipment as well.

McKinney's in Mt. Vernon has a lot of barrel racing/speed tack, less pricey/more working type equipment. Enough shoes and clothes I guess. I am always overwhelmed with the selection of stuff for my horse, I never have enough time, and I never get over to people stuff.

Discount Boots & Tack, Seymour IN - they had a ton of different looking, inexpensive stuff. Seemed more like an odds and ends kind of assortment, rather than all cheaply made stuff. I think they also carried some decent name brand saddles new (Billy Cook or Circle Y?) in trail and barrel. I got a couple of halters, they had used saddles but not what I wanted. Tiny space, PACKED with stuff.

Shepler's, OKlahoma City, OK - don't expect to buy anything for an actual horse here, but they had the largest assortment of Western clothes I have ever seen. It was lovely. Boot selection was adequate, but great great great for clothes.

Also NBHA Great Lakes National in May at Gordyville usually has about 6 different retailers--2-3 that sell clothes and boots in addition to horse tack, the other 3-4 horse tack only. A range of blinged out to nylon headstalls, various pieces of equipment (horse boots, bats, etc) barrel saddles, etc.

I usually buy online before buying at Pards.
    Shepler's if I get there, I buy when I'm there so I can try on clothes.
    McKinney's I love shopping there and have ordered up bits and stuff I knew I needed over the phone.
    NBHA show is usually window shopping since I'm stuck there but it's either all basics that I don't need, or very frivolous that I don't need either.

15. Shell

Shell New Member

MTD, I'm not arguing that your wrong. Just mentioning what I remember.
    Besides...you said you haven't been there in a year.
    I haven't been there in a Few years.
    maybe it's changed.
    The last time I was there, their prices were higher for the same the items than another place I go to or could by in a catalog with shipping included.

16. A Great Western tack shop is McDaniels' just outside of Beloit on Hwy 81. They have 2 large rooms full of new & used western saddles, and an entire wall & 2 racks of headstalls.
    They have a large selection of saddle pads, blankets, bits ..... you name it, they probably have it. They are very nice to deal with and fun to talk to.
    It is worth the trip because their prices are real reasonable.

17. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Oh Shell I know you're not arguing.
    I have made a yearly trip there for years but have noticed the decline in quality and quantity too.
    I just love being able to roam around a store once a year, have found some great blankets very cheap in the sale room, and great place to see the different bits and actually touch them prior to buying------ enjoy actually looking at the stuff instead of pictures.

I'm going to have to do a google search and find places to visit. I always keep my purchase down to a max of several hundred---- Not shopping for anything in particular, just shopping. Love looking! Sounds silly but I enjoy window shopping~ Thats the main reason I make the trip to the Midwest Horse Fair in Madison

18. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

I love McKinnys

19. Shell

Shell New Member

ok MTD, I just wanted to make sure you weren't reading my posts to you differently than how I intended to them to sound :)

20. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

nah, nope---- read them the right way. No fear on that one Shell.

My mind is completely on horses suddenly, no more kids, no husband evenings or saturdays so I am as free as a bird and I'm going to enjoy myself. Wish I could haul the RV and horse trailer together----god, I'm picturing that one and it would scare the crap out of me.
    I just need to find somewhere to go shopping within about 2 hours from me in Leland.

Me, the truck/trailer and horse are going to hit the road this summer. Starting life over again, time to start doing what I want

:th_backtotopic:

Oops sorry about that, is there anyone out there that likes to shop at Libertyville?