Dog feed and them eating

Discussion in 'KiKi's & Poochies' started by Tbitt, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

So, Ya.

Pip my little Chinese Crested and Kal the Aussie have become quite picky eaters.

It has gotten to the point that they will NOT eat!

I had my man pick up some Iams at Wally-World. He bought the "chunk" kind (why? I don't know!)

And they are bouycotting that too...........

What brands do you recommend for Picky eaters?

My hubby did say "we had no problem with the "old Roy" PUKE!

But we did have problems with allergies!

HELP!!!!!

2. lori

lori New Member

Put the appropriate portion of food down for 15 minutes and then pick it up whether they ate or not. Repeat in 12 hours. Keep repeating until they suck it up and eat their goddamn dog food and quit acting like spoiled dogs.

;D

3. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I agree.

4. cwgirllynne

cwgirllynne New Member

Haha, yeah, generally they will eat it if they get hungry enough. I wouldn't worry too much, or break the bank trying to buy expensive dogfood. My three dogs (R.Ridgeback, Rott/Pit, and Weimaraner) absolutely LOVE the Ol Roy stuff from Wal Mart, especially the 'chunks and gravy', I guess it has more flavor. When I first adopted my Weim, he was very underweight, and I would feed him canned food just until he fattened up, because he seemed to really like it. Whatever you do, with cats, remember that they are 100% carnivorous! Any catfoods that boast of 'grains, vegetables' etc are packaged and marketed to YOU. Your cat doesn't want "rice and seaweed", she wants RAW MICE!

5. BUC

BUC Administrator

Best advice ever :)

6. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

I tried this and failed.

Unfortunatly Romeo is much more stubborn than I am. I leave dry food down for him all the time. He eats about a 1/4 cup of dry food a day. Sometimes he doesn't eat at all.

(and before you say anything...............Shut Up Buc!!!)

7. BUC

BUC Administrator

:-X

(IM me for the REAL scoop >:D)

8. Shell

Shell New Member

9. Castaway Farm

Castaway Farm New Member

Okay, I tried to reply to you post earlier and it went away. Much as I agree with the offer food and forget it theory for 90 percent of dogs/cats. There are some, my friends Great Pyr in particular who will literally starve himself to death if he is not feed different choices every single day. He was easily 25 pounds underweight when we rescued him. He is finally putting on weight, but if his "treats" on his regular dry food are not changed every single day he will not eat. If he gets an ear ache, he will not eat. He is a super big baby, and where we rescued him from he was definately not spoiled, abused, but not spoiled. My mom's two dogs absolutely will not touch their dry dog food until they get a teeny, tiny crumble of something human food on top.

So, yeah, there is a small population of extremely determined animals out there that absolutely will not eat.

Strongly suggest you pick a dry brand you like (no offense but Ol' Roy is bad news), Purina One is a good choice for an easily accessible brand, and the size of your dogs you are not going to go through too much. Then pick up a very large variety of canned treats and figure out which ones they like. If you keep switching the dry around it will only compound the problem. They are only going to get a dabble of wet (the types with gravy work best) to get them interested in eating. We also add hot water the dogs dry food, especially in the winter, to entice them to eat it and that seems to work. You might even try just making some beef or chicken broth to have on hand to poor over their food.

Some easy tricks, and if done right, super inexpensive.

Good luck, when you get a truly picky eater, life can be difficult.

Cindy

10. horselessnolonger

Thanks for the tips, I will give some a try.

11. Castaway Farm

Castaway Farm New Member

Oh, forgot, wet cat food smells stronger, and if your guys are really into the whole starvation before giving in treatment, they may be too tempted by the cat food to not eat.

Also, in explanation of why I don't like Ol' Roy, it was amoung the many foods that were contaminated and was killing dogs. I prefer only brands that are actually manufactured by their own company, not farmed out to be mass produced with everything else. So in the groups of food I am not fond of I would include Hills (Science Diet too) because it was on the list, manufactured in the same plant as Ol' Roy, how scarey is that!?! Red Flannel is a good $20 a big bag food that can be found at most feed stores that handle Purina products.

12. horselessnolonger

I gag with any kind of wet animal food - dog or cat - I can't stand the smell I don't expect them to eat it! I do make him ground beef when I feel that he is completly starving and he is fond of veggie burgers.

What brands of dry dog food do you suggest.

13. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Wow, my hounds are living the neglected life -- they eat what's put in front of them, or they eat nothing (so far we haven't had a problem with that). I refuse to cater to critters that would eat with abandon a moldy Big Mac bun or long dead whatever that they find on the side of the road.

As for dog chow -- I've alwasy liked Diamond (some of their outlets had a problem with contamination, but others didn't, and they were on top of it) and Red Flannel isn't bad, but mine do the best on Diamond. I think Hills and Iams (including Eukanuba) is a big, pricey joke.

14. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

Picky dogs, I do not have... LOL but they do have sensitive stomachs.. so they get a real bland Wellness dry food.. until my old fart loses her last bit of teeth.. then I will have to separate them when they eat... and figure out what to feed the old fart with no teeth.. LOL but for now, they do get pretty expensive food.. but they would both gladly eat whatever I put in front of them.

15. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Hell - I don't need to do the work of picking it up. Misty, AKA Hoover - eats it ALL. You snooze you loose!

My pups get fed 2 x a day. Weather they eat it or not................ >:D

I've seen Kal go for a few days without eating.................spoiled you say? Never at my place.............. :-X :p

16. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

I stir about a tablespoon of cottage cheese into my guy's dry kibble....he chows it down. Used to top dress it with Honest Kitchen stuff, but I've run out and haven't picked up more, but the cottage cheese works.

17. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Can I ask which Wellness version you feed? And how is your dogs coat on it? I have two Old GSD's that I have been considering switching to Wellness Super5 Mix for seniors. They definitely need something for sensitive stomachs and something to improve their coats...Right now their coats are dry and dandruffy :(

18. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Why cottage cheese? Just wondering. The new puppy isn't fond of the Exclusive that we put him on, but loves Max's beneful, but he should be eating puppy food. Trying to find something that will make him snarf it down, but isn't something that WE regularly eat.

19. Quest52

Quest52 New Member

many of these above foods mentioned aren't good for your dogs. Please, take some time to do some research:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

and look what you are putting into your dog and why they don't digest particular things etc.

I'm up for a great educated conversation about dog and cat nutrition if someone would like... just give me about 12 hours or so... still drudging through finals.

There are also always very good discussions about food and whats going on in the world of feeding different things on dogster.com forums.