Dog question

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Pixin, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Pixin

Pixin New Member

So last year I had a foster dog, Oliver. He was around 2yrs. old and not fixed when I got him. He was fixed two days later.

I kept him in the house with my other dogs. There were a few leg liftings which I expected. He did pee and poop in his crate every so often, overnight. I would then put him in a smaller crate which I felt bad about because he would start crying, but damn that gets irritating cleaning up the crate, and I wanted him to learn that it was wrong.

He played nice with my dogs and had the run of the house with close supervision, slept on the couch,etc. He even went on vacation with us and did pretty good except for a leg lifting and going in the crate. :mad: When he was in a large crate, he was as quiet as a mouse. I never even heard him bark while he was here.

I then adopted him out to someone that had adopted another dog from me. I would call her every so often to see how everything was going. She told me that Oliver was still doing the above, and also attacked dogs smaller than him, even though their other dog was much smaller. He also "went crazy" when bicycles or skateboarders were near him.

When the snow flew, Oliver decided he didnt want to poop outside anymore. They would walk him for twenty minutes to try to get him to go. As soon as they brought him inside he would go in the house. They then started keeping him in the crate and would take him out every two hours. He also started barking constantly. She mentioned something about them quarantining him because of his bad behavior. Also said that he can jump 5' fences with ease and would take off. They thought he wasnt getting enough exercise so they would put him on the treadmill for twenty minutes a day. Oliver would then proceed to poop on the treadmill.

His owner wants me to take him back and feels that he would do much better on a farm where he could get more exercise and hunt small critters, something he loves to do. She doesnt have the time to give him the exercise that he needs.

Im willing to take him back, but was wondering what I can do with the pooping in the crate, house, etc. I believe that if I can get him to listen to me, off leash, he would be a very happy dog and would have a great time running around with my guys.

Any suggestions on how to fix this little guy so the BF doesnt kill me when I bring him home ? ;D

2. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

What kind of dog is Oliver - how big, etc?

3. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Pooping in the crate is a tough one to vanquish -- does he do it even with a strict schedule?

One of our Border Collies will dirty a crate -- not the house, just the crate. We finally had to concede defeat and she either goes in the outside run or the house. Oliver may have to be a strictly outdoor dog with indoor visitation privledges maybe?

*Just had a thought -- you don't suppose this behavior is strictly anxiety motivated? Like separation?

4. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Oliver is a wire haired Fox Terrier.

I too think he would be best as an outside dog. :-

He was worse with the peeing/pooping in the crate when we were on vacation. All three dogs were in crates in the basement overnight or when we left the house. He was worse overnight though.

5. JenR

Terriers are rather notorious; my mom's JRT cannot be kept in a crate unless you don't value your hearing! And he does not have a problem lifting his leg and peeing outside of the crate just to get back at you for putting him in one in the first place. He's also prone to fighting with dogs -- he's always bossy, and it's been up to the temperment of the other dog as to whether there was going to be a fight. He starts them, just by being a pushy little shit.

Fox Terriers aren't far removed from JRT's. Oliver may need to go to a single dog home (equipped with an outdoor run), or at least a home with a very patient, level headed dog already there, and most importantly knows how to deal with terriers.

His situation sounds like a combo of anxiety and dominance issues -- would be interesting to know his past before you got him, and what exactly has been going on in his new home. He marks and gets pushy because he's a terrier, and terriers are naturally bossy dogs, but it sounds like the nurture side of things when he was young has given him some anxiety issues -- like to new situations (the treadmill) and separation (the soiling -- I think the barking while confined is just hardwired into terriers for the most part, but separation anxiety could be making it worse). Just what you need, a neurotic terrier! And once they get into a habit they are so damn stubborn it's hard to break them to boot!

How much does Oliver want to be trained in obedience?

6. lori

lori New Member

I HATE JRTs. I had one who would bloody herself in a crate. Then I put her in the what 8' tall dog run with the husky--she climbed it. Then I locked her in my garage and she damn near climbed stuff to get into my house attic. She was a brood bitch at a puppy mill so she's got pups out there and my condolences to those families. Finally found some die hard terrier people ::) who weren't scared off by her.

No real suggestions other than my sympathies!!!

7. Pixin

Pixin New Member

I think he would probably be willing to learn.

Lori, when I went to the Florida State Fair, they had Jack Russell races! It was hilarious! There were numerous dogs in cages, yapping their little heads off as though they were cheering the others on.

Then the owners would place their dogs in a box at the starting line while a fake fox tail was dragged to the front of the box. With some of the dogs, it took 4-5 people to get them inside their box's. A couple of times the dogs lifted the lids and escaped.

It was like watching a mini Steeplechase!!

8. Sarah315

Sarah315 Active Member

He's too smart for the foster home, sounds like he has them wrapped around his apposable thumbs! ;)

He should definatly come back to you! What if you feed him on a schedule so he could poop on a schedule?

9. JenR

Another thing -- our BC poops in her crate if she's in there for any length of time; she's a very high energy dog, and quite frankly I think at some point being in the crate makes her like a soda pop that's been shook. She pops (or poops as it were). Giving her an outdoor run went a long way towards keeping her a happy dog. That might be something to think about with Oliver.

The JRT races are a blast. I have a love hate relationship with them -- on one hand I couldn't think of a funnier, more personable dog, and incredibly loyal and sensitive to you too -- but they are such little shits (which of course is part of their charm, but still).

10. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Olivers mother is going to call the dog behaviorist and see if she can give her any ideas before giving him up. Im pretty sure he will be coming back here though.

Maybe he can go spend some time with Snaffle Milan! ;)

11. JenR

Well that would probably do a world of good.

Hopefully Oliver's mommy goes to a behaviorist who tells her to put him in obedience training and maybe give him some more excercise and socialization opportunities. Hopefuully Oli gets to stay in a home.

12. hdguy1

hdguy1 New Member