Electric Fence in Snow

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by miss_santana, Jan 20, 2009.

1. miss_santana

miss_santana New Member

I'm hooking up our electric fence in the next few days, hopefully.

I know I've read about people building electric fence in super cold temps, where I assume there was snow on the ground, and I know lots of people have their fences going regardless of weather.

Driving the grounding rods is gonna be a bitch, I know that, but is there anything I need to be aware of, safety-wise, when there's all this moisture on the ground? I like to lessen the chances of dying via electrocution as much as possible in my life. ;D

2. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Oooooh... I guess I didn't think about this myself. I'll be doing the same thing end of next month. ???

3. pinp

pinp New Member

Hint hint: run a strand of smooth wire around each tpost and hook your grounding cable onto that. Less work, great ground all the way around.

Just don't touch the fence. If I can walk away from 13,000 volts to the crotch or 17,000 volts to the boob, you can toooo.

4. Buffy

Buffy New Member

[​IMG]
    OUCH!

5. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

I haven't had any issues with the snow. I do how ever through our water way that is pastured have the bottom wire not electrified, because when we get a heavy ran the water can get 2 1/2+ feet deep. I have a couple of horses who think it is fun to go play in the water, so to be safe I don't have it hot.

6. April

April New Member

I have run electric for years on my fence. Put it up myself. Just make sure every thing is hooked up BEFORE you turn it on. After it is on DON"T TOUCH IT. If you have a short walk the fence while it is on and listen for the short. YOu can take a stick with you to move the wire if you need. Make sure it is a DRY stick wet ones will bite you. Yes I used wet stick once.

7. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

:stickpoke: take someone with you hold their hand and GRAB the fence with your other hand if they start flopping like a fish, let go, it works.

8. pinp

pinp New Member

hahahaha I've done something similar trying to throw an escaped doeling over the electric fence. ;D

9. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

Use a concrete drill bit first to get the hole started (buy an extra long one), then I used the bucket on our skid loader to drive them in! We sank 3 this way about 3 weeks ago...worked like a charm!