Eye question

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by Blueyz2, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

A few days after Christmas my pony had rubbed her eye on something and tore the corner of her bottom lid. The vet came out, stiched it and gave her some SMZ's and neomycin for her eye. Well almost a week later we went out there to put the medicine in her eye and her top lid was so swollen that the it looked like her eye lid was flipping inside out....it was gross!! So called him back out and he said it looked like an allergic reaction to the neomycin, gave her a cortisone shot and the swelling went down. Last Monday he came out and removed the stitches...so what Im getting at now is this........ever since the stitches have been removed her eye is watering really bad and its starting to swell a bit again, but only went I let her outside for the day. I've been putting a fly mask on her to see if it helps, but when its time to bring her in at night the side of her cheek is all wet from the tearing all day and her top lid is a bit puffy. So I've been leaving her inside which I hate and rinsing her eye out everyday but I just dont know why its still doing this. Her actual eyeball is fine, and the vet said theres nothing in her eye...so Im confused. Does she just need more time?

So before I call him yet again...I thought you guys could maybe bring up something I havent thought of yet. Im getting frustrated which doesnt help :-

2. Mesa

Mesa New Member

I would wonder if her tear duct is blocked.

3. Shadow

Shadow New Member

SO, how did this turn out...all better, the same, worse...curious minds want to know....he he he

4. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

It looks ok now. Its about 95% better. Shes got her fly mask on when she goes out now so I think that helps. I have a feeling this is going to happen again from talking with the previous owner, sounds like either major eye irritation or allergies. ???

Thanks for askin Julie :)

5. Daretodream

Daretodream New Member

If she has allergies you could try some over the counter allergy eye drops. I would recommend Zaditor. It is about $15 a bottle but worth a try if it stops her from rubbing her eyes to the point of tearing a lid. Good luck.

6. lori

lori New Member

Ooh, *I* got recommended that stuff--I'm using the Wal-Mart brand, it's 6.97ish a bottle.

7. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

I will try that. Her eye did the same thing again last Saturday, and a few good rinses with saline solution and some banamine took the swelling right down. Her eye gets that cloudy look after the "episodes" but it gradually clears up. I can also tell the light bothers her awhile afterwards, so Im going to ask the vet his opinion on Wed. because Im a bit puzzled as to whats going on.