FEAR (terror really) of flying...

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by darkhorse, Feb 19, 2009.

1. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

So, here I sit at the Jacksonville, FL airport, having a cow about getting on my flight. I am on United flight 540. Pray for me! (The boyfriend wants to choke me. I'm crawling out of my skin even with A LOT of Xanax in me!)

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

I know how you feel! I had a job for 12 years where I had to do a lot of flying and it never got any easier. Taking off and landing scares the shit out of me. Once in the air I'm fine. You'll be safely home in no time :)

3. twinkle

twinkle New Member

I was a Flight Attendant beforeI became a PO. I was never nervous about flying but for some reason that has changed. Now I do get butterflies on take off and landing.

4. Shell

Shell New Member

I'm not going to mention what I think of flying.......It might make it worst for you. I've only been on 2 round trips within the last 7 yrs in my 42 yrs.

5. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

This was my 15 flight. We just landed. I'm alive but drugged outta my mind!

6. lori

lori New Member

Sounds like fun?

I started trying to fall asleep on planes a couple of years ago--to get out of the slight discomfort of nausea and the discomfort of not having enough space. Now I get on a plane and I can't keep my eyes open!

7. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

I can't sleep, can't read, can't listen to mt ipod, can't watch a movie, etc. Because my anxiet is so high, the xanax does nothing until I land. I will get home and pass out for a couple hours.
    I'm seriously considering seeing a hypnotherapist of some time casue it gets worse with each flight. I cry during take off and for about the first ten minutes after that.

8. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

don't feel shit on.. I go through the exact same thing... It takes months of me trying to psych myself up... My little bro is getting married in May.. other than the price of flying from here to IL, I still don't know if it is possible for me to even get on the plane..... so far it isn't looking good :(

9. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Lori I'm the same way! As soon as I sit down I'm out, wake up for Ginger Ale, and in an airplane coma until landing. It's gotten bad enough that I really have to struggle to stay awake in the airport too.

10. CBaut

CBaut New Member

I'm flying in 2 months. I have real bad anxiety about it. I haven't flown since I was about 8.

Am I gonna toss my cookies on the flight? I can't even do roller coasters.....

11. morapt

morapt New Member

My dad was a flight instructor and both he and his wife are pilots for a major airline. I grew up with planes, even had to make him and my mother do an emergency landing when I threw up all over a rented plane. (YUCK). I still get uncomfortable flying and it's getting worse. Mexicana was the worst I was ever on. That was the only time I've been on a flight where they started to taxi before fully making the turn onto the runway.

Cbaut, chewing gum helps with pressure in your ears. The take off may effect you some. The landing (depending on weather and how good your pilot is) shouldn't be to bad.

12. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

Take off is the worst for me. That and turbulence (sp?). Our flight today was great. Smooth ride all the way home. (Even so, my anxiety was still really high.)
    When I flew home from Vegas last year, it was terrible. We hit some nasty weather, and though the pilot tried to stay above it, it made for a bumpy flight.
    Cbaut, get your doc to prescribe some xanax. Take it BEFORE major anxiety sets in, though. Otherwise, I find it is useless and/or makes it worse.

13. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Take off is my favorite part! The only thing I hate is the ear pain.

14. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I'm horrified of heights and bridges but for some reason I love flying.

I was terrified the first few times, would clench the armrest until my knuckles were white. NOW though for some reason I love it, I'm gotten over it and fly usually twice a year. Every march I head to SanDiego and can't wait to go----Thats some airport to fly in and out of too. The pilots say its like landing in a teacup! As you are coming down you are lower then the buildings---I mean between the buildings!! Almost to the point you can see people in their offices. Its interesting but you would never see something like that if you don't fly~

You will never see the world if not flying there, Hell its a whole lot faster too.

How many flights fly every day compared to the number of accidents? Just going to the west coast you see the midwest, the plains, the mountains, desert and finally the ocean all in 4 hrs!

What I guess I"m saying is -----
    take a few deep breathes, close your eyes and have a few really stiff drinks in the lounge before boarding. LOL~ Serious though

15. CBaut

CBaut New Member

This thread is making me want to cancel my trip.

16. April

April New Member

My husband is building a small two seat er in our garage. He thinks I am going to fly in it with him when it is done. ::)

17. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

Cbaut - even though it terrifies me, I do it because I don't want to spend my entire life not seeing anything.
    I know that it is supposed to be safe, and I actually know more people who have been killed in car accidents (my dad being one of them) than in plane crashes (actually I know nobody who has been killed in a plane crash,) BUT I am still scared. I juts try to deal with it the best I can (which isn't very well) until we land.