Fist Foal - Spinoff Thread

Discussion in 'The Foaling Stall' started by photofinish, Feb 10, 2013.

1. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Well, what seemed a pretty cut and dried foaling turned to absolute shit last night about 7:30 :(. Owners called and said the mare was up an down a lot. I told them to go ahead and give her a dose of banamine (paste). 20 minutes later they called back and said she was worse. I went zipping over while calling the vet, I was there in under 10 minutes. It was BAD, and my experience in post-partum mares who get very painful, very fast is that they don't make it. I got her out walking and Doc was there w/in another 10 minutes. Mare blasted through dorm/torb combo in under 15 minuts, relfux was ugly. Palpation and gut sounds and reflux consistency told Doc a probably small intesting perferation and a possible twisted colon. We put Swiss Rojo down at 9pm. :'(

The owners are super neat people, but they are in their late 60s and just built their farm in the last few years. They are not real experienced horse people. They were so shell shocked and sad and tired (we'd been up the night before with the foaling) that I was worried about them so I sent them into bed and took the first night of orphan raising. Filly, who we are calling Dusty (dust torm yeterday,too), took to the bottle right away and is a HUGE eater! That made it easier for sure! First thing this morning I had Arn bring my old (22) Mamma Mare over to see if she'd take Dusty. Mamma had a foal last year, but is not in foal now. Mamma took to her right off the bat - no tranq, no twitch, no kicking, just nickered at the baby and went to licking her :). I have NEVER seen it go that easily! Momma always has a little something in her bag, "witch's milk," and the kid ran up and went to trying to nurse and Mamma never moved a foot. Let's hope the domperidone kicks in and she is lactating in a few days! As it is, I have at least 1 more night of bottle, but got a good nap during the day today! Still, may be one fo the easiest orphan situations I've ever been involved in!

:th_sleeping-smiley-015: cb*cb

2. morapt

morapt New Member

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about the mare. How scary but how wonderful with your mare stepping in. I'm glad things are going so well at this point for little Dusty.

3. Mstar

Mstar New Member

Poor girl, what a sad way to go :'(. Hope the family is doing ok. That has got to be one of the cutest faced foals I've ever seen, gosh she is beautiful. Dusty is the perfect name for a baby from Tularosa. Hope she brings some good luck. She must be special if the nurse mare took to her that quick!

Kind of ironic I just changed my FB profile photo to this one a couple weeks ago. This is me riding Swiss Rojo with Photo and Grayson (RIP) leading us off the track at Ruidoso Downs. Her owner is in the background. RIP Swissie.
    [​IMG]

4. kats

kats New Member

How is the little one doing?

5. photofinish

Pretty darn well! Had a bought of diarhea Monday, but we think that ha to do with upping her volume to meet her demand a bit too much. Most orphans I've had were a struggle to get to take enough form a bottle, this one had no such qualms. Diarhea better by yesterday. Mamma mare isn't doing much in the lactation department, we'll give one more round of domperidone and give up on that, but Mamma will stay with her so she at least has a mother until 4-5 ,months old. We'll start on the bucket tomorrow. Up to every 3 hrs today, stll easier than every 2.

6. AreYouSirius

AreYouSirius New Member

This has given me my next multimillion dollar idea... How would you like an automatic bottle feeder?

7. photofinish

I have mentally worked on that since the first orphan I raised at 16. The trick would be the temp of the formula (except Buckey, which is "room temp", the rest say to warn them up), especially with the varying outdoor temps. I figured that you could get the cotraption to "ding" when it was releasing formula and they'd pick that part up quick enough. It should be easy enough to make a dial setting for the varios amounts as the foal grows. The trick has been the temperature costant so that the reserve doesn't spoil, but is warm enough when feeding.

8. Mstar

Mstar New Member

How's baby Dusty and the nursemare doing getting along?

Also, pictures.

That is all

9. photofinish

Gee, I am being uncharacteristically accommodating today, don; expect this kind of behaviour all he time, 'Kay?

Here are a few shots, from my phone, of MommaMare and Dusty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mstar

Mstar New Member

omg can't stand the cuteness!!! what a dollface :)

11. Powdernsmoke

Powdernsmoke Active Member

What a kind face that mare has.