Foal watch: Ginger

Discussion in 'The Foaling Stall' started by lori, Feb 19, 2013.

1. lori

lori New Member

SO we really don't want to have more babies, etc. but Ginger came in thin and preggers last summer--she even hid her baby from the vet for a bit, despite her growing belly. Needless to say there is no doubt now. She looks about 8" shorter because her belly is HUGE. The vet aged her at about 23. I believe I have the story straight some people had "rescued" her and put her in with a couple year old paint colt (ungelded, natch) and somehow she wasn't managing to gain weight.

Back in August... Sabella Rush had picked her up and held her for a couple of weeks, so this is her after about 3 weeks of good food showing real improvement:
    [​IMG]

We hung out really freaking hot day while waiting for a news guy to show up. Ginger's nobody's fool, she got right in there in front of the fan.
    [​IMG]

Once she got going, she picked up the weight just fine and is now fat and happy. She was waxing on Sunday.... hasn't given us that baby yet!!!

My secret (ok not secret, I tell everyone) hope is that I get Dusty riding and then adopted by July-ish and I take Ginger as my foster after that. I don't know why I adore her but I do. Lies. She's an aged QH broodmare with a kind, wise disposition. Of course I love her. I bet she rides, or at least doesn't really mind if you do jump on her back. (Let's get Dusty adopted so I can make good on my threat of being test rider for 20+ year old broodies.)

Hopefully baby update soon!!! And I bet Ginger hopes soon, too, although on Sunday she was quite happy being stalled up and eating her straw. Haha.

2. morapt

morapt New Member

I hope it all works out for you! Looking forward to the pictures of the new baby.

3. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Awwww! Another good old Momma Mare! I have such a soft spot for the old horses. Hope all goes well!!

4. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Easy birthing jingles to Ginger!

She's very pretty and doesn't look in her early 20's at all!

5. lori

lori New Member

I'm kinda with you... I think we were told she was 18, I like that number for her better? I need to find the pregnant pictures of her, she's one of the cutest little butterball preggo girls I've ever seen.

AH.. here's one pic:
    [​IMG]

So I think the floor in that stall is down a little bit from the aisle but I swear she shrunk as she got wider!

6. lori

lori New Member

7. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Good luck! Watch that tail wrap ;). I usually wait until they are in labor to wrap tails, seen a few old broodies come through over the years with stump tails from wraps on too long.

8. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Good luck Ginger (and her human caretakers). It's nice to see her round instead of skinny -- poor thing, preggers and hungry is no way to treat a lady; this is a much better state of affairs!

Of course, pics of new foal are required.

9. highhorse

highhorse Senior Member

holy schnikies!!!!look at that belly!

10. lori

lori New Member

FINALLY!!!!!!!!! Ginger's colt was born on Sunday at around 6am.

Here was the official info from Margaret, foal watcher and everything else she does at the rescue:
    She foaled at about 6 AM this morning and the foaling was uneventful. He is TINY weighing in at only 62 pounds and our vet thinks he may be slightly premature. Our veterinarian did an ultrasound on Ginger on Friday and found a lot of fluid around the foal as well as some cloudiness so they drew some blood to rule out an infection. We do think he sucked in some fluid during the birthing process so we have started him on antibiotics. Our veterinarian came out to see him today and will be back out tomorrow to give some more antibiotics as well as to draw some blood to make sure his antibody levels are adequate. Ginger is doing well. It took her longer then we would have liked to pass the placenta after the birth so she has also been started on antibiotics as a precaution. We are anticipating a full recovery for both mare and foal but you never know what may happen... Please keep both mare and colt in your thoughts during these next few days.

Because this is my favorite kind of photo ever:
    [​IMG]

I love, love, love the white on his ear, so cute!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full photo album here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.466649483407857.1073741826.108611599211649&type=3

So I guess we're being a little careful about their outcome since there were a couple concerning things going on but he was doing better as Sunday progressed. I am guessing I will get called to come take pics of the large group from Muncie after this week so I expect I'll get more pictures then, plus I'm sure the other volunteers will be posting more on Facebook.

He will be available for adoption in 4-5 months, after being gelded. And of course Mama will be available for adoption too. I REALLY like her. Sensible, sweet quarter horse with some good "seasoning" on her, we don't know how/if she rides at this time. I have volunteered to be the first rider on her. :D

11. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Oh...Look at the color! *!*!*!*

12. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

He's super cute!
    Way to go Ginger! :th_fluffbunny:

13. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Too stinkin cute! *!*!*!*

14. Powdernsmoke

Powdernsmoke Active Member

Goodness, he is gorgeous! Good job Ginger! Do we know who/what Daddy is? Wondering about those spots on his legs.

15. lori

lori New Member

The place she was removed from had her in with a young, ungelded paint horse. ::)

They agreed to give up Ginger, but wouldn't give him up because "their children were too attached." (I think that is correct, I may be getting situations mixed up.)

I think I saw a picture at one point, a fairly 50/50 bay or black? and white paint horse... And he was young too.. maybe just turning two? Again with the eye rolls x1000.

16. April

April New Member

What a cutie!!

I have always heard if the ear tips are curled they are a little early. My be an old wives tail but of the two I have foaled here one was early and had curled ear tips and the other was full term and did not have curled ear tips.

Anybody else ever heard this?

17. morapt

morapt New Member

What a cutie! Glad they are doing well now and will keep them in my prayers for continued health

18. gaitgirl

gaitgirl New Member

So glad they are both ok. Hoping all continues to go well. She did good for being starved. Talking with a lady now who is wondering if her mare is pregnant. She was in with a year old colt that was gelded and put right back in with her. She's asking if he could have bred her since he was shorter than her plus walking pretty stiff after the surgery. I told her where there is a will there is a way. Once you geld my understanding is it can be a good week before all the guys clear out so yes, you could have a pregnant mare. ::)

Luckily this mom isn't half starved, she is well cared for, but geez.

19. kats

kats New Member

So cute, I love that first picture.

20. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

Love me a paint! So precious!