Foal watch: Ginger

Discussion in 'The Foaling Stall' started by lori, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Saw this little guys pics on facebook :) He's adorable... I love the color on his ears <3

2. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Awwww! Fancy Boy!! Hope all is well w/ he and Momma!

3. lori

lori New Member

BABY NAME SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

We are going to be running a contest to name the foal. Haha. And Margaret only likes 1 of about 20 suggestions so far. I am voting like crazy for Snap but despite our preferences it will actually be a fair contest. We're just hoping to get more possibilities that Margaret likes.

So far we have
    Ale/Two Toned Ale/Ginger Ale
    Apollo
    Bobby McGee
    Chance
    Charlie
    Cisco
    Conawingo
    Dakota
    Daylight
    Dreamer, In Your Dreams
    Emerson
    Felix
    Ginger's Snap, Snap
    Gunner
    Hope
    Jerico, Rico
    Lonestar
    Lucky
    Maverick
    Nutmeg
    Nugget
    Patch
    Sassafrass
    Sawyer
    Snap
    Spice
    Splash
    Tbone
    Texas, Tex
    Thyme
    Tick Tock
    Tucker
    Wishbone
    Spindle
    Bowie
    Todd
    Slephnir
    Apache
    Shadowfax
    Cherokee
    Hidalgo

4. Adellasun

Adellasun New Member

I like Charlie, Felix or Gunner.

5. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

I am on board with Ginger's Snap/ Snap, that's cute! Like Bobby, too. Chance has been used on at least 30 horses at every rescue, eh, it needs a break. lol.

Splash never hurts for a loud paint.

Merlin might work, doesn't seem like he is going to be a giant?

6. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

I like..

Snap
    Charlie
    Gunner
    Tucker

7. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

8. Joie

Joie New Member

NO!! Just as an FYI for ANYONE who wants to avoid a pregnant mare, you should wait SIX WEEKS to be safe. Here's why, from another forum:

Sperm are produced over a 57 day period, followed by a 10-12 day transport process through epididymis totalling 69 days. This is not the important factor to take into account however, as only sperm cells which have completed their maturation could pose a threat in a gelded horse. Sperm cells (mature ones) can be stored in post-testicular ducts for 3-5 weeks. And it is these ones that could potentially produce a pregnancy. After this mature sperm cells will have been destroyed/recycled.

Also, I assume the vet pulled blood for IgG the following day? Meaning Monday? If the colt was born at 6 AM Sunday, blood should have been pulled by 6PMthat same evening. 12 hours...otherwise, the gut is closed and the only route you can go is plasma.

9. lori

lori New Member

He is growing up very nice!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You know, I'm not really one to judge a mother who just had her baby 10 weeks ago, but c'mon Ginger. LOL. Someone needs to tell her she's not still preggers!

(And yes, I still want Dusty to get adopted in 2-3 months and then Ginger can come live with me since apparently I run a fat camp.)

10. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

She just recovered well from delivery:)

11. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

A little late for your reply, huh? :)

Baby and mom look GREAT!

12. Joie

Joie New Member

Not really. It's never too late to learn, especially since the main point of my post was in response to gaitgirl's comment about needing to wait oa good week or so" before turning a newly gelded colt out with mares. ;)

13. lori

lori New Member

Just to clarify... Ginger got knocked up while in her previous home before she came to SHARE. I do not think there was any effort at all to prevent the pregnancy. ::) He was tested for antibodies the evening of the day he was born--all was well, of course.

He is quite a photogenic baby! And mom... not the fastest horse in the world. LOL.

Attached Files:

14. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

He sure is a pretty flashy boy!

And there is something about that pretty mare that just speaks to me. Her slightly roman nose? Her soft eye? Her heart and "Try".... she's a gem for sure!

15. lori

lori New Member

I know, I love her too. She's a smart, sensible, well mannered older lady. Just my style. Uhm erm, nothing to do with her being a redhead with a blaze. I need to ride Dusty more so he gets adopted & weaning could just be her coming to be my foster.

16. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

I was referring to your IgG information.....a little late for that info! And I was being funny!!!!h

17. lori

lori New Member

Sadly Ginger was found deceased in her stall Sunday morning. They don't know what happened (not sure if they are having her autopsied). She was an older mare and had been through a lot in the last year. :( Winchester is almost 3.5 months old so thank goodness it was now and not sooner. They have him started on milk replacer but I don't know much more of the details. They've successfully nursed up a 6-pack of nurse mare orphans who were pretty bad sick to start with in 2011, so the expertise is definitely there.

18. ponytail

ponytail Member

What a sad story ... she delivered a handsome foal. RIP Ginger.

19. Susan

Susan New Member

how sad-at least, in the end, she was well cared for and looked so happy. RIP old girl

20. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

OMG! Poor Ginger Girl. RIP old momma.