For all the stallion owners

Discussion in 'The Foaling Stall' started by photofinish, Jan 8, 2009.

1. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Ok, here is my question o' the day :

Scenario for all stallion owners : Jane Doe calls you and wants to breed her registered (same breed or comparable) but non-despcript mare to your horse at your advertised fee.
    Do you take the money and run?
    Do you question her for an hour on her plans for the foal, ability to train said foal to National Show levels, and trust fund for said foal in case Jane becomes indisposed?
    Do you insist on "approving" the mare's conformation, pedigree, and table manners before breeding?

*Just curious, no one who answers will get tarred and feathered by me.*

2. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

well i dont publicaly stand my boy---he hasnt proven that he should be yet.

Yes i would have to appove the mare before any hanky panky

3. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Okay, what criteria will be used to approve the mare? Conformation? Performance? Pedigree? what about 2 o/o 3?

I really am just curious to hear what's out there. When I ran a commercial TB farm the criteria for a mare to be bred to any of our stallions (most had differnt owners/syndicates) were : Will you pay your bill? Will she stand still? Ovaries (at least 1 functioning)? Uterus? Good to go. The general policy was that it was none of our business what the mare owner did with his property, though 98% were bred to race in IL. We bred some Godawful mares and some okay mares and an occassional nice mare (those rarities we bred for a reduced fee or for free). I am glad to be out of that game now.

4. paige

paige New Member

It kind of depends--often on who the owner is. I bred a mare who had nothing going for in the pedigree department, because of who owned her--I knew something would be done with her and it already has been and she is not yet 2.

To me, pedigree is the most important, with conformation right there. If they have produced, I will slack a little on the pedigree, because they have proven they can do it--same for if they have a good show record. If their owner has a track record of getting things done, that is really important to me

I chose not to breed any outside mares at all last year because I needed a break from the spring and summer of hell it is breeding so many and hauling him all over to be collected, etc.

I have been lucky that very few unacceptable mares have approached us about him--I have only had to turn away a few because they were not up to par. I have turned away MORE mares based on who owned them and their history than who the mare was. It is hard to put aside my idea of what I would do, or the crosses I would make, in favor of actually looking at what might come of a particular cross. That is something I struggle with--and in the two or three cases where I was not sure it was the right move, the babies turned out super nice. That reminds me to keep an open mind.

Interestingly, I have NEVER been turned away by any stud I wanted to breed to...and we have bred to some of the best ever. In fact, they rarely even ask about the mare. This year, the stud owner we are dealing with advised against the two mares I wanted to breed to his stud in favor of the two he would rather breed- but he will do it, he just thinks others I own would be a better cross. I am not sure I agree with him though, and he agrees that ultimately it is my risk, so I make the call.

One thing I will no longer deal with, I do not care how well bred, etc, a mare is, is a lack of manners of horrible dangerous things like kicking. It is not worth it and I wont deal with the liability--unlesss of course, I am shipping semen to her and then I do not care about that

5. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

ok i second what paige said . . .no sense in me typing it again.