For those of you who run...

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by asuits, Feb 26, 2009.

1. asuits

asuits New Member

How long did it take after you first started running for your legs to stop hurting?

OWW!

2. desederada

desederada New Member

Take some ibuprophen and keep on working ;)

3. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

If you over do it, you can be so darn stiff and sore you can barely walk for days. If you are really hurting, you have overdone it, cut back a bit, either on milage or how fast you are going. (usually its the milage) I might take a day off or 2. If you choose to keep going, it seems the pain gets better after the first mile and you get loosened up again. Unless you are talking shin splint type pain, in which case you need to take some time off and if you can, change the terrain you are running on.

4. CBaut

CBaut New Member

If it's a sore pain, then take some motrin and take it easy while you run.

If it's a painful pain, like you did something to a muscle, knee, etc, take a few days off, or you'll make it worse.

If it's shin splints, ice them after you run.

Don't stretch BEFORE you run, but warm up doing squats, lunges, walking, etc. Get some good stretches after you run, though.

You will be sore for a bit if you're not use to running. Hang in there...it'll go away.

5. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

I just started running again a little over a week ago, and haven't been sore.....but last night my legs were finally tired! So I took it easy, and didn't stay on the treadmill for as long or run as hard as I have been. I have been trying to run in the mornings so that I am moving the rest of the day to help keep my legs from getting sore! Good luck.

6. asuits

asuits New Member

I wouldn't exactly say I HURT, I would say when I get out of bed in the morning and when I squat down or go up and down stairs (which I do ALOT OF) I feel it. It's more of an achey tired muscle feeling.

This is my first week. I've done it 4 times so far and I'm already starting to crave it. It gives me 30 minutes of just hearing my feet hit the pavement and my labored (very labored) breathing. instead of "mommy... Mommy... MOMMY... MOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!" or Eric bugging me about where something is.

I do a five minute warm up walk and then alternate walking and running for 20 minutes and then do a five minute cool down walk and stretch when I'm done. I did drive the route I've been running and it's 2 miles. I'm hoping to be able to do a 5k on April 11th so I'm probably pushing myself a little further than I normally would.

I used to run all the time in high school and now I've just let myself get fat and lazy so I'm sure that's part of the problem. Other than Wii Fit I haven't had any real exercise in quite awhile.

7. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

I ran for the first time in a while last night and my legs weren't achey at all unless I squatted. Until now....now that I have been on my feet in muck boots for the last...oh....um....13 hours. I have not sat down except to pee in at least 10 hours. Ugh...I am SOOOO sore now.

8. cwgirllynne

cwgirllynne New Member

I'm almost always a little bit "sore", whether it is my back, from bringing in firewood, or my legs, from running through deep snow. A bit of an ache is good, it means you are tearing down, and then rebuilding muscle, and will end up stronger. Exercise soreness is actually the result of tiny, harmless tears in your muscle. This is a signal for your body to increase muscle mass. I've been running for 15 years, NCAA cross country in college. If you are in a lot of pain, take time off. If you feel okay, push through it. Years of running on pavement will damage your body, however, so try to run on trails (or a treadmill if you have one). I run on trails with my dogs, and have had no problems with my joints, shin splints, etc. My father, however, lives in the city, and ran on pavement. He has many back injuries and joint damage, poor guy. As I've gotten older, it is even more crucial to stretch, especially after I had a back injury (muscle only, but it was so painful it scared the crap out of me). If you want a running partner who will always motivate you, get a Weimaraner! If I skip a day, he makes my life so miserable and tears up the furniture.

9. asuits

asuits New Member

Well I just signed up for a membership at the Y. I figured I can go there on my lunch hour and run too.

The problem is it was so damn hot in there!

10. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

Good for you Asuits! I have been running for a few years now and it really keeps me in shape. I like to power walk when the weather gets nice.

11. asuits

asuits New Member

I need to find a nice used treadmill for under $250 that I can run on at home. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, I don't need an incline or anything, just something I can run on.

12. April

April New Member

I used to run on a treadmill. Everyone told me it would kill my knees. Got one with a cushion belt so I could use it. Killed my knees any way. I can run out side and not bother me at all. I run in the country on oil and chip roads with my dogs.