Fucking Dentist!

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Buffy, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I am in SOOOOOOOOOOO much pain right now, it's ridiculous. I had to have a root canal this morning. Long story, short. My dentist usually refers them out. He doesn't like to do them. Well he agreed to get me in this morning to help me out, even though they're not even open on Fridays.

So I ask him while I'm there what kind of pain meds he can give me? He asked if I still had my codeine from last week. yes, but can't you give me vicodin? cuz this is going to be worse.
    He doesn't have a license/authority (forgot his verbage) to prescribe vicodin??? He tells me it SHOULDN'T be worse anyway, because he's eliminating the problem that's causing the pain. Sounds logical.

Till I get home and really start thinking about it. He DUG down into my gums, inside my tooth to eliminate all the nasties. Why WOULDN'T I be in pain after that.
    So here I sit, three Tylenol3's later and I feel like I need a couple shots of scotch. :-[

FUCKING dentist

2. Pixin

Pixin New Member

They suck for sure. :mad:

3. MelW

MelW New Member

No more wine?

Fell better :laugh:

4. jjones

jjones New Member

I've had a root canal and have never been in the that much pain.. He probably didn't get all of the root out...
    Huh...

5. Buffy

Buffy New Member

See, and I had a root canal 5 years ago and SWORE I'd never do it again.
    With the first one, four visits later I told the dentist to just pull the damn thing. The pain from the pulling was worse than my labor pains!

6. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

I had 3 root canals done in one day so I feel for you Buffy. Does the novacaine not work well for you when they do the root canal?

7. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

I had two root canals done over a two day period after my face-smashing, tooth-shoving accident. The only pain I had was from the original injuries. Oh, and pain in my jaw from holding my mouth open so long...also kinda accident-related in that the accident caused TMJ..

Get better soon! Tooth pain has to be the worst pain! :-

8. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Everytime I go to the dentist I have to remind them that I need a lot. So it took 3 seperate shots about 15 minutes apart each to be numbed enough for him to even pull off my temporary crown. Then about half way through, I started jumping in the chair, so he injected directly into the canal. :-

I've never had to have surgery (thank god, fingers crossed) and it scares the shit out of me that anesthesia won't work on me. I'll be one of those cases where I'm awake and feel everything, but won't be able to do anything about it!

9. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

Does he offer nitrous?

It really sucks that the novacaine isnt working....but you'd be suprised on how many people say it doesnt.

10. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I had MAJOR jaw surgery when I was 16 (literally have my top and bottom jaws held together by plated and screw to each other and to my skull), and I no longer have the nerves in the "right" places. I was getting a cavity filled one and was crying and shaking in the chair. I am a pretty tough person too... I now have terrible anxiety about going to the dentist.

I FINALLY found a dentist who understands and he is SO patient with me. Its the same as you Buffy, I need a LOT of Novacane... AND I have to have it injected directly into the nerve on my lower jaw (which hurts like a SOB). He always gives me nitrous and is very slow with filling cavities.

I dread the day I may need a root canal. I have a crown on now, but it was for a cracked tooth which LUCKILY did not require a root canal.

It sucks because I am (and have always been) a compulsive tooth brusher- literally like 5x day. But I inherited my mothers super crappy teeth... there just isnt anything I can do about it.

I would have insisted on the vicodine... even if it was just 2 to get me through 24 hours.

11. Buffy

Buffy New Member

OMGosh - You sound just like me. I got my DAD'S crappy teeth. And this is all stemming from a chipped tooth on SuperBowl Sunday. When they put the temporary crown on, my tooth was ok. Two weeks later, they couldn't take it off without all the numbing ::)

12. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Can you call your regular Doctor and explain what happened and that you need some help?

13. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I've actually considered that :-
    A friend of mine just contacted me on Facebook and said she had a root canal last week and was in a LOT of pain for the rest of the day. Woke up next morning and felt 80% better. I hope that's what happens in my case!

In the meantime, I hit that box o' wine that hubby bought earlier this week. I feel better already! ;D

14. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

I had my last root canal without any anesthetic. Dentist says, "I know you can handle it kid....if it gets to be anything, we'll just numb it." I didn't need anything. :)

That was 4 years ago. I'm thinking I have another cavity brewing, my jaw on the right side hurts all the time now. :( Hope you feel better Buffy.

15. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Hope you feel better, Buffy! There is no worse pain. It is my firm belief that at least 60% of dentists are sadistic bastards who only get into the profession for the joys of getting paid to torture people.

16. cherokee

cherokee New Member

My dentist knows that he has to do seven to nine shots of novicane to even beable to touch
    me. Then usually one to two more while working on me.

My mouth is a mess, as the top of my mouth is actually the bottem of my mouth, I have
    an extra tounge and tonsils that are calsified with skin over the top. The roots of the teeth
    touch my sinus's thus if I get a cold or sinus infection I have to be put on an antibiotic as
    my mouth gets infected to. It sucks.

17. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

WOW!! I have had several and never had any significant pain from any of them! Who did you go to I need another and want to make sure I don't go there. I go to Anchor dental in Sandwich, but he has not done any of my past root canals.

Give me a heads up woman!

18. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Just stay outta Plano!!! ;)

19. BUC

BUC Administrator

I enjoying my dentist free days :)

20. middleageddebutante

middleageddebutante New Member

Sorry about your pain.

But you need to find a new dentist.

You should not be in any pain from a root canal. Maybe a little soreness from shots, and the equipment they put around the tooth. But pain? Nope.

I had a root canal done many, many years ago. I felt just about all of it. It was like electric shock waves all the way down to my toes. Then the sadistic bitch decided to put some novicane directly into the canal she was drilling on because I kept feeling the drilling.

Fast forward about 5 years and my new dentist tells me I need a root canal. I say no fucking way. Pull the damn tooth. He was shocked that I had such a bad experience. He told me this one would not hurt. He promised. I started to immediately sweat and my heart started to just about beat out of my chest.

But I did not feel a thing. Not one bit.

And I have had 2 others done since then. And felt nothing during or afterwards.

You definately need a new dentist.