Getting real tired of this excuse

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by glf01, Feb 14, 2009.

1. glf01

glf01 New Member

Ok tar and feather me if you need but I must say this...................
    I have been reading these posts on another site with a forum and there has been a few here to about "I can't call the vet because we don't have the money" well here's a newsflash if you can't afford to call the vet then you can't afford to have a horse.. When you decide to get animals whether it be a dog, cat or horse you must have the smartness that one day you will be faced with an emergency with this animal. So if you can't call the vet you get this idea I will post on a site and see if someone can help. Every response ends with please call the vet mean time your horse is suffering another day. This is so irresponsible on the owners part that it's just inhumane. You read where the humane society comes in and takes horses away for no feed well I believe they should be taken away for insufficient vet care. I know alot of vets that if they have clients that run into some financial problems but have a sick animal they usually will work something out. Unless it's Kendall Road they want a credit card almost on arrival. So please don't post I have no money to call the vet.

2. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Sorry I would have to give them the benefit of the doubt, unless I knew the facts. Maybe their situation was much better when they bought the horse. Right now many people's situations are changing, their first priority is to take care for their human children. I don't know if you have been watching the news or not but people are relinquishing their ownership rights to their pets left and right. Times are hard, people are losing their jobs, their homes, their cars.

3. Shell

Shell New Member

My opinion is probably not like most.
    If vet care couldn't be afforded, I would Not be advertising the matter on a public forum. It's a personal embarrassment. And a matter to be solved within the household and talking with the vet.

4. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

Thats how I would feel too!

5. Rexy78

Rexy78 New Member

I shoot mine when they get sick. :th_flipoff:

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

I agree and disagree with the first post.

I agree if you can't afford your animals I would not ask for others to pay. That's about all I agree with.

I think that people run to vets these days for some pretty silly crap and also try to save animals that they should let go. I don't think anyone needs to be well off to own animals. You can save all the money in the world and we all know treatment can still cost $1,000 over that. I've seen people say "call the vet" over some of the silliest stuff on the forums. Yeah, if a leg is hanging by a thread, by all means call a vet. If you can afford to call a vet every time your animal farts, then by all means call one.

If it's something that more than likely isn't going to kill the animal and you want to look for some alternative before you call a vet, I think that's great too.

7. Susan

Susan New Member

My vet gets upset when this happens. He has told me countless times - call me, the horse doesn't know your finacial situation. We'll work it out later.

I am very lucky that I know a lot about wound care and can give my own shots. I have also been very blessed with relatively healthy horses.

I see nothing wrong with asking for help - BUT don't expect me or anyone else to diagnose your horse for you. If it is photographable - post a pic of what you are asking about.

8. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

I agree with BUC and speaking from personal experience though I try and not call a vet unless needed, I have made some calls for which with hind sight being 20/20, did not really need to be made, when I look back at the outcome. The problems took care of itself with time and not because of anything the vet did. (or didn't do). Aside from giving me some antibiotics which I could have gotten myself at Farm and Fleet (cheaper), my lacerations for example were too big to suture, my acbsess problem (in the face) was lanced but later sealed over and became another which came to a head and resolved itself. Can't think of one thing yet that any vet has done that was truly necessary or resulted in my horses life being saved, etc. Had I called a vet every time I posted on a forum about a problem, I would be poor, my vet rich and the outcome the same, but people call vets like they make trips to ER's and doctors offices, for every cough, hang nail, cut, ache or pain, so it doesn't surprise me when I see them make the same decisions with their horses. If vets or doctors would only educate more....instead they put in a few stitches here or there that would have healed fine without, give an antibiotic for a virus and the general public thinks there call or visit was necessary!

9. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

there is also a difference is saying I can't afford the vet for a ER call on stiches and a call ending up with the horse at U of I or someplace just as expensive... $400 vet bill most owners SHOULD be able to work out with their Vet but $4000 may need a bit of help for most owners

10. BUC

BUC Administrator

True PS. I would never go the $4000 route personally, I'd put the animal to sleep. Maybe if I had 20 grand wrapped up in one and was into competition, but alas, I'm not.

My vet is the one who actually made me the way I am on vets. He'd come out at the drop of a hat if I wanted him too....but he also loves the "give this a try and if it doesn't work I'll come out or call back". Of course I love it too because I don't get charged for those.

11. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

BUC IMO everybody should have that relationship with their vet ... meaning thier vet knows them well enough to KNOW what they can and can't handle.

I had a colic on a neighbors horse last month, called vet gave her vitals, she told me how much and what to do and if he wasn't better in hour to get him loaded up and bring him to her. Called in route unloaded she sedated to oil(which was why he was there as soon as he was) watched him for another hour an dsent us home.. wasn't even my horse.

everybody needs to be able to take vitals and info their vet of what is going on

12. Shell

Shell New Member

I think that's the problem. Some think of the money that it might cost, prior to calling and talking to the vet over the phone.
    Besides already having to pay a phone bill, calling the vet for advise doesn't cost anything. And if the owners feel uneasy about the advise given, call another vet for a second opinion.
    Call a friend, who has more experience than you to look at the horse and have them call the vet to give un-exaggerated vitals on the horse.
    (except me- nothing really hits me until after the fact. I'm everyone's rock in the time of crisis and then loose it after everything settles)
    But some, as an owner or a parent sometimes see things worst off then they are because of ending up getting in a state of panic.

13. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Shell I am everybody else's rock but fall apart with my own. I normally can get the important stuff out to the vet and such but my brain doesn't work as well on my own, thankfully I have Mike to interept for me. I jabber he relays the info LOL

14. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I'm of two minds as to the OP -- on one hand, if you can't afford basic care of the critter, you should probably not have it; then again, not many people have the cash to put down on some 4K procedure.

I think you have to be very careful about who your vet is -- my main horse vet is very no-nonsense; he'll tell you if he can fix something or not, and how much it's going cost and if he thinks it's worth it or not. His rule of thumb is, if the procedure costs more than the animal is worth it doesn't make much sense to do it (but your choice). However, I used to go to a small animal vet who would want you to spend a bajillion bucks on an iffy procedure and fifty million tests -- and if you didn't you were obviously a "bad mommy or daddy". Notice that I said I "used" to go to her. She's one of the professionals who is a big advocate for "if you can't afford to care for them, then turn them over to the humane society", but her idea of can't afford would fall into the realm of don't have 10 grand lying around to do chemo on one's 20 yo. cat.

15. hobblehanger

hobblehanger New Member

Wow! That is a loaded statement, and quite harsh.
    I think it would help if you gave us your opinion on what "insufficient vet care" is.

Now, I know that the majority of us here would consider a horse owner that does not call the vet out for things such as, bad colic (violent rolling, thrashing, no relief from basic colic procedure), horse with obvious severe lameness, wounds that are extreme with obvious signs of muscle, ligaments, tendons exposed. Things of that nature. I mean...if someone has left their horse in that kind of condition, with no call to the vet, then yes, they should not own an animal.

This subject was kind of touched on at another forum. There are some people that think that home remedies should not be preformed, and a vet should be called out no matter what. I am under the firm belief that if a horse owner has at least "medium" horse experience, they can and should be able to do some care with out calling a vet each and every time their horse takes a bad step or has a belly ache or has a temp. Examples, wrap a leg, sweat a leg, take a temp, give a shot (both IV and IM), soak a foot, things of that nature.

Ya know, just cause someone posts "I do not have the money to call a vet", does not necessarily mean that they don't have any money. Maybe they just don't have any extra on hand, and might have to juggle things to have the money available. Kind of the thought "steal from Peter to pay Paul".

I know that I try and do everything I know how for my horse if something is wrong......until I have exhausted all my options then get the vet involved on the next level. And I would fight anyone tooth and nail if they thought they could take my horses away because I don't call the vet out for every little thing.

16. sunset003

sunset003 New Member

Being one who just paid over $2,000.00 to find out our beloved dog had cancer, and nothing could be done. I have to say, I am so surprised at the cost of Vet care in this country. When did it get as expensive to take an animal to the Vet, as it does to go to the Dr.? A lot of Vet's now charge exorbitant prices to keep their pretty offices paid for. This is what makes me crazy. :slapfight:

17. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

:th_agree:

What sucks more is that we are STUCK paying it! There's no other choice. The small animal vets really piss me off with their prices, $50 for a damn office charge?! I try to have my horse vet give the spoiled barn cats their shots which is much cheaper.

Now..... :th_backtotopic:

Things do happen in people's lives which changes their financial situation, so I'm kinda on the fence on this thread. BUT, I absolutely HATE when people have to make payments to buy a horse...we all know that the maintenance is what gets expensive so if they can't afford the full purchase price up front, then they damn sure can't afford the maintenance.

Granted, many horses are free right now, but the newbies that are grabbing them need to research what it costs to have a horse and maintain one PROPERLY.

18. find8fences

find8fences New Member

that is why they invented horse insurance :angel: it can really be a life saver when you really need it..major medical $$$

19. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

We had pet insurance through my husband's company -- the vet's office didn't accept it; we presented the card at the time of service and paid the copay, thinking all was well (and the vet's office led us to believe so). Then a month later got a rather nasty call from the vet's office that we were in arrears and owed them money; the insurance wasn't accepted???

We took payments on some horses -- I think it's a case of determining who is a good horse owner or not. Both times the parents were very well to do and these were horses for their teenage kids. The kids had to work and pay for the horses themselves out of their work -- in our case they were some of the best buyers we had. So it can go either way.

20. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Actually, I know what tipped this whole topic off...Glf01 was on another forum where someone was asking for "advice" on how to care for their colt (gelding?) who'd gotten out over night and his sheath was swollen to 5x it's normal size and she "can't afford a vet call". Post was about 24 hours after they found the colt and realized it wasn;t healing up with majic and prayers to Barbaro...Know what? That colt needs a urinary catheter now. May make one out of a 1/2 gallon milk carton, but gonna need a vet.
    Glf01 has been periodically torturing herself in FOBland, where there are a dozen posts at any time to get donations for eye/knee/colic/cancer/hoof/etc/etc surgeries. I think it just all got to her >:D