Got Nails, desperately need "tips"

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shannon, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Got Nails, desperately need "tips"

Ok, chronic nail biter here. I MEAN BAD.

Got fake nails on today to try and break my habbit.

Well, not only can I barely type, but I cant pick up my hay, cant button my jeans, cant open a bag of grain, struggled to close my stall latches, could barely curl my hair, cant pick anything up... and to top it all off, I put on gloves to feed tonight and I got a TON of hay under the nails and spent literally 20 minutes trying to clean it out.

:mad: Help? Tips? Anything??

I think my immune system is having a breakdown too. Its scared and confused as to whats on my fingertips.

2. PT

PT New Member

Re: Got Nails, desperately need "tips"

You'll get used to it. Seriously. 8)

3. paige

paige New Member

Make sure they are not too long---it will do the same trick to keep you from biting if they are just past your tips.

I chew on my cuticles and did the same thing to break me of it.

Eventually you will get used to it

4. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Yep.
    Sounds like they are too long.
    They should be barely past the tip of your finger.

You will get used to it.
    Remember though, when they are finally taken off, your nail will be weak untill new nail grows out and they can break off easily.
    Be sure to wear gloves when doing most anything in water so you don't end up with bacteria groth under them.

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I hate long nails and have never gotten fake nails ;)

You might try taking magnesium supplements.. it might help
    'calm' your habit

good luck.. I could sure sense your frustration

6. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

My name is Morganfan and I am a cuticle chomper......oops, wrong group.....yes, it sounds like they might be a bit too long. If your nails ache this morning, that's a sure sign they need to be shorter. Dial the phone w/the knuckle of you finger or a pencil. You learn to grip zippers w/your fingers not your finger tips. Be careful, unlike real nails, these suckers usually don't spit or break....if something grabs your nail and you tear it.....it's BAD! ....and DOUBLE YES to wearing gloves in water! You REALLY don't want nail fungi!!!

BTW, have you ever tried something like OPI nail strengthener? I think it tastes like shit and I can really grow some claws.

7. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Shannon, don't despair. ;) Give yourself a few days and you will get used to them. I've kept fake nails on for about 3 years (chronic nail biter as well) and now when I take a break form them for awhile, (usually gardening season) I can't function without them. :eek: And my cuticles stay pristine when I have them on. ;)

I would have to agree with the other girls, that it sounds like they are too long. You need to rememberthat when you have them put on for the first time, AND when you go to get them filled, it's going to be 2-3 weeks before you go back, and I don't know how fast yours grow, but mine grow significantly faster when I have fake ones on. If you just got them put on, I would go back, and they should be happy to shorten them for you at no charge. Just as long as you didn't get french tips or something like that.

If you found a place that does them really well, you can do ANYTHING with them on. I've slammed mine in barn doors, you name it, I've done it, and they haven't broke or popped off. Sometimes I wish they would have though. It really smarts if you do something that would've normally riped a natural one off.

Again, you WILL get used to them, but I would go back and see if they can take them down a bit. Otherwise, if you just got them done and they're too long, by the times it's time for your fill, they will be driving you nuts and you'll rip them off yourself. :'(

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

Ok, I know this is weird....but I noticed Shannon's nails right of the bat when I met her. Not because they are THAT noticeable, but because I was also a chronic nail bitter and I just knew. Fake nails, started re biting the moment they came off, the nails are weaker and even more tempting to bite. I tried polishes that taste like shit...well come to find out between not biting and biting shit flavored nails, somehow you acquire the taste. I wore gloves at night. I put that white medical tape over the tips of my fingers (which I will say that was the closest I ever came to stopping).

I told her how I stopped but of course I don't think she'll be running out getting a set of dentures soon, LMAO. I've not been able to bite them now for 5 years and I still try almost every day. For non nail biters it must seem silly, but it really is a terrible addiction that is so hard to break.

Good luck Shannon. I hope you kick the demon. Even as I sit here and look at my relatively nice nails I STILL wish I could just maul the F out of them.....

9. April

April New Member

I have to cut my natural nails twice a week to keep them from getting past my finger tips. If I let my left thumb nail get to long it bends back when I use the hoof knife. Wish I could help you grow your own but don't know what I am doing to make them grow other then not biting them.

10. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

1st off...April, you SUCK!!! :nana: :p :-*

2nd...Ever since I can remember, my natural nails are like paper. Blow on them and they bend and split. I've tried everything under the sun to thicken, strenghten, you name it, I've tried it. Some of us just have sucky nails. Even when I was on prenantal vits, NOTHING. Still incredibly soft. I'd give anything to not have to wear them, but alas, my fingertips are clean and neat, and not sore from the biting.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

11. DENNIS

DENNIS Member

just put a lubricated condom over each nail that you bite and I am sure you will stop real soon or at least get your mind off the nail biting. ;D ;D

12. BUC

BUC Administrator

The softness comes from moisture (having them in your mouth all the time) :) Mine were the same way and I always thought the same thing...my nails just suck. For probably the first 2 years after I was left with no option to bite, they did a miraculous turn around. Now they are thick and strong and grow like mad. I keep them very short but have to clip or file them weekly.

13. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Yes, they sound too long, just file them down a bit. They are so tough and they really hold up for horse work. I've had fake for a few years and just got them taken off and it's horrible. I got so used to them my finger tips are sensitive and my nails are pealing, I miss them so bad! I have a good coupld months to go before my nails are back to normal.

14. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

I am a chronic nail biter to, but have been trying hard not to do it but still catch myself biting them.My problem is I hate to have dirt under them so I clean them to the point of thining them out. Did the fake nail route and pulled them off because I couldn't stand them anymore. Good Luck Shannon.

15. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

I'm a cuticle picker and a moderate nail biter. I just can't fathom how fake nails help with that. I tried fake nails years ago and don't recall any improvement in the cuticle area. For the nail biting I did go to a hypnotist. That helped tremendously but I quit listening to the tape she made of my session.

Putting my fingers near my mouth really irritates my husband....maybe that's why I keep doing it. >:D

16. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Yup, still sucks this morning. I will give it a few more days. Feeding horses sucked today too. My fingertips actually do hurt a little. Im going to call monday and get them shortened. This sucks and better work.

BUC- LOL that you noticed, but I am sure a lot of people do... and Im ready to fix that!

17. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

:D

I am a former nail biter. I will NEVER get fake nails again. I have one time for prom. They made my real nails so weak and brittle and IMO are not sanitary. When they start growing out, dirt and crap always gets under the acrylic. ICK. They HURT to take off too. I finally cut nail biting cold turkey when I was pregnant. I was taking prenatal pills and my hair and nails grew fast. My nails looked so good, that that was enough to stop the biting. I got a manicure, and they even looked fake because they were so perfect!

18. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

I agree with the general consensus- the nails are too long. I have shortened mine with a dremel with a sandpaper cover...but I went slow and was careful. Maybe use an emery board the first time cuz a dremel can react fast. Seal the fresh end with clear nail polish.

I don't bite my nails, but I used to chew the cuticles (and then actual fingers). Fake nails DID stop that behavior for me- probably cuz the salon would dremel away all traces of cuticle. I was told that aside from head-shrinking, nothing would help....that it's a self-mutilation behavior. Mine gets worse when I ride in the car that hubby is driving....go figure. :-

The fall that I took on my face, which shoved all my teeth to the left side of my mouth helped break the habit the most. My bite was all screwed up and I couldn't align my front teeth right to chew. Then I got braces and with the frequent movement of my teeth, I still couldn't chew. I took to picking at the skin, which is when the fake nails helped. I couldn't get ahold of the skin with the tips. Without fake nails, I would pick until my fingers bled, and would be so sore that I couldn't bend them.

So I started out chewing and when I couldn't do that, I started picking. Without fake nails, I'm not sure that anything will help me long term.

Now, due to work and an irrate ex-co-worker, I am not allowed to wear fake nails, and my fingers are showing it. I'm thinking of getting a note from my doctor the next time that I go in..... think that my boss would buy the excuse? :-

19. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Shannon don't despair---- I am a terrible nail and cuticle biter----- I chew and tear until they hurt----

I tried the fake nails too, couldn't get used to them. If you are a queen and sit all day and don't have to do physical labor you can have long luxurious nails. I filed mine down so I had just a nice white tip, well I still tore them off and it hurt like hell when they broke. The gal that put them on told me she never had this problem with any other customer----- Mine did not pop off they would rip half waydown. I GAVE UP AFTER 2 MONTHS. They were gorgeous and I loved them but I do the work around here, no help, no kids helping out--- just me and hubby.

For a special occasion I will have them put on but I was constantly going in for a repair and it got expensive. The shop would fix one a week for free well I usually ended up with more.

Good luck, I hope you can get used to them because they seriously look nice on folks who can figure out how to deal with them. I loved mine!! My hands look horrible right now and would love to give it another try but not until my gardens are planted and new fence installed.

20. jjones

jjones New Member

I would get them shortened ALOT... When I would get my nails put on I always had them a little longer then my "real" nails which wasn't long at all... I just had them on so I would't bit my nails as well so I wanted them to be pretty short so I could still use my hands the same...