Got to love our diesel trucks on this fine winter day…NOT!!

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by horsefreak, Jan 15, 2009.

1. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Two trucks sitting in the drive way...one no start, one no go past 20 mpg. First time in the 8 years I've had them I don't know if my husband has ever had gas! It's just plain old cold! So of course he being the Mr. fix it he is... can he just leave them until they warm up NOOOO. He has to go play with his and drops a part in the engine and now he's on his way to Morris to get that part he dropped. Duh it's too fucking cold to be trying to mess with them, but he can't just leave it alone!

2. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

What is wrong with him?!?!!

It is COLD!!! Tell him to stay inside!!!!

:eek:

:mad:

;D

3. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Our Chevy diesel started right up this morning :p No hesitation at all.

4. desederada

desederada New Member

He's a MAN duh!

5. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I HATE starting my diesel on a day like today. It always starts, but it starts so rough when it's cold. I'm debating running an extension cord out to the truck though. Just leave it plugged in till the next time I need it. :-

6. lori

lori New Member

OK--see what you guys think about this: DW and his Dad have Fords w/7.3L powerstrokes. Dad just bought a 06 Chevy with the Duramax diesel.

Fords: DW's dad's truck has to have the block heater starting around 40 degrees, DW usually plugs his in around 20-30 degrees. THey change fuel filters with every oil change. They don't even think about using an additive until it's below 0 and they do fine. DW also has experience with lots of semis and they never add anything until 0 degrees.

Chevy: Dad keeps his truck in a 40 degree garage, never uses the block heater. Fuel filter is 20k miles and I guess around $40 or more? (Whereas I think the Ford ones are a few bucks.) Dad's won't run without the additive. His friend, Crazy Charlie, who will tell you he invented cars, claims every diesel has to have additive.

Are other people having this problem with their trucks? DW's Ford family treats their diesels so differently than what Dad has to treat his Chevy... what is up with that?

7. 4horses

4horses New Member

I'm at home today because of my gas eating truck. It would start only if you laid on the gas peddle but as soon as you took your foot off, it died (too many times) I was afraid to flood it plus this is a fuel injected truck. POS!! Looks like a long day on the internet as well as getting some house work done.

8. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Mine started fine, just doesn't want to go very fast. It's -21 here right now. The husbands is an 02 and it just getting a little age to it (I am too, I say stay in the house). He changed the fuel filter in mine two days ago, he says it's the place I buy my fuel (ok I get it at wal-mart but just because the food is cheap doesn't mean the fuel is). We do plug them in however the electric went out for a while last night for a while. We never have this problem but it's just damn cold out. OUr friends have a brand new diesel and it won't start either, god bless the ones that did...lol.

9. lori

lori New Member

That's what dad's did--it computer limited itself to 2000 rpm because of the gel in the gas. Is yours limiting or just not going very fast?

I feel like I have to find a reason for that Chevy to be sucking because I would like to have a GM product rather than a Ford product--most likely my next vehicle purchase will be the bigass diesel truck.

10. HFSH

HFSH New Member

My diesel started right up. You may have frozen fuel lines, or a frozen fuel filter, or, although I doubt it, gelled fuel.

I topped off my car (diesel) last night and added a half a bottle of stanadyne to it. s'all good. :nana:

11. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

he put an additive in it the other day, but I don't know if he put as much as he should have.

12. JZ

JZ New Member

I drove my diesel truck today. We plugged it in around 7 a.m., and I started it around 9. It would have started without being plugged in but DH wanted to warm it up some. ok, no problem.

I tried driving my car yesterday and it died on the side of the road twice. The first time, I was almost to work, got it started and headed toward home. It died again and I got a push from a cop to the nearby gas station. Added HEET and some new gas, jumped it, it started, and I got it home where I let it run for an hour. I started it again later in the day and it started hard, but eventually got going.

I think I got some bad gas the other night when I filled my tank. I'm not going to try starting it until the weekend when it warms up.

Glad I have other options. My boss sounded annoyed that I called in yesterday. ::)

13. Susan

Susan New Member

My 99 Dodge Ram/Cummins diesel gelled up this morning for the first time in the 9 yrs I have owned it. I plug it in at home when it gets below 20 out just to make it easier on it to get started and have heat a little faster as I go to work (I work nights so I'm leaving around 9:30 pm). I can't plug it in at work so it started really rough this morning and I managed 35 average going home - ran really rough and had no pickup at all, but idled just fine. Got it to the shop and they got it warm, changed the filter, blew out the screen and added more antigel and I'm now good to go. I have never needed to use an additive before this year, but I usually buy my fuel at a truck stop - didn't the last time and wasn't liberal enough with the additive since I'm not used to using it. I learned. Idon't know if truck stops add anything to the diesel fuel for the semis, but I'm guessing that places like shell with auto diesel pumps don't.

14. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

When I was on 80 today I saw about 15 semis alond the rode with problems even saw a bread truck halfway in the road that had quit.

15. keechin

keechin New Member

One of the problems with diesel fuel is the biodiesel. I never had a problem before and know several others who didn't until all the stations started going with biodiesel. It sucks even with additives there are problems.

16. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

My ford F250 diesel started right up and ran just fine----- Power Stroke ,2001 with 248,000 miles

I plug it in every night once the temps drop below 20.

The semi's are stalling out due to the fuel gelling up, they are probably from warmer states where the fuel is not winterized. Our fuel is winterized as of November.

Don't use BioDiesel---IT GELS FAST!!!!!!!

17. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

LOL

you have to have a block heater put in ALL vehicles up here.. I plug in at 10.. it stays either plugged in or running all winter till it hits 10 again... once it is started for the day.. it doesn't get shut off till I plug it in back at the house. Go to the store.. leave it running.. go to the movies.. leave it running.. go to the Dr. leave it running.. I get about 100 miles out of a tank of gas in the winter. At work.. they either have plug ins for you or you are allowed to go start your vehicle for a few hours and then to go shut it off.. many people have auto start.. but it is like $650 to put it in my truck.. so I have to start it manually..

I have a Tundra and it has done wonderfully so far.

18. cudabear

cudabear New Member

My BF plows with a F250, he keeps it in the heated shop when it gets really cold (like now). He's been adding power service since it dropped below freezing. The fuel guy told him that the lower sulfur fuel gels up a lot quicker. The fuel guy brought blended fuel for the truck and BF also put power service in the tank after every fill up. He'd rather be safe then sorry.

One of his tractors had biofuel in it (the neighbor filled it after barrowing it), it gelled up when it was between 30-40, the other tractors had "regular" fuel in them, they haven't gelled up at all. Now he won't tempt fate by moving tractors when it this cold.

I'm just glad we have a gas and diesel vehicle.

19. tater883

tater883 New Member

all my trucks have been chevy all have been gas and yes very large motors in them all either 454s or 502 in my 06 have never had a problem with any of them they start every time even in the cold!

20. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I saw your thread after I wrote mine about bio-diesel

the trick to winning the war with this bio-diesel is to add TWICE the amount of additive ..